Official Review: Currents of Sin by Arleen Alleman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: Currents of Sin by Arleen Alleman

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Currents of Sin" by Arleen Alleman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Currents of Sin by Arleen Alleman is the fifth book in the Darcy Farthing action/suspense series. The books can be read as stand alone novels, but I would recommend reading the previous ones to gain a better understanding of the characters' backgrounds and relationships.

Darcy Farthing, the protagonist, is having personal issues and takes a little time away in Florida to clear her head. While there, she is asked to take on a local case. Before she can commit, an out-of-town friend calls with dire news. His adopted daughter, Pamela, was having trouble adjusting to her new family. She began disappearing for stretches of time. She hasn't been heard from in weeks. Thinking she may have returned to her former life in Las Vegas, her new father goes to look for her. Don is unable to locate her on his own so he enlists the help of Darcy and their close group of friends.

The story then delves into the suffering and danger that awaits young girls on the street. Pamela is drawn into the dark world of prostitution and human trafficking. Darcy and her friends risk their lives to track down Pamela and rescue girls involved in the sex trade business. During this mission, they work with local authorities and discover one of their own ex-husbands still has ties to the underbelly of Vegas.

The themes in this book are dark and show the seedy side of humankind. At times it is disturbing to read about forced prostitution and human trafficking. The knowledge and depth of the writing shows that the author took the time researching this dark subject matter. She writes with such passion that I felt intense sympathy for the young girls and their suffering.

The plot is complex and full of action. I was hooked from the beginning. The Las Vegas setting was well-depicted. I could feel the desperation and corruption running through the underbelly of the city.

Although I haven't read the other books in the series, I was able to connect with the characters and understand how they fit together. I would have liked to have the background knowledge of the previous books, but the author wove together the characters' lives and their places in the story very effectively.

The writing appears to be professionally edited. I didn't see any noticeable grammatical errors. Based on my above observations, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Fans of adventure and suspense novels will enjoy these books. I would recommend this one to mature readers because of the subject matter. I look forward to reading the previous books in the series.

Currents of Sin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Great job on the review! It sounds like this book isn't for everyone but I think the author is touching on a very important subject. I will be looking into reading this one :techie-studyingbrown:
Dipti Vishwasrao
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dipti Vishwasrao »

Its a great book. I am so much touched Looking forward to read it completely and more and more!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like a really interesting yet dark book. It's sad that this kind of thing actually happens. I might have to look into this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting read. The subject of forced prostitution, though, may be too dark for someone who prefers light and feel good reads like myself. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Arleen Alleman on such an obviously well written book.
professor26
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 42572">Edo Blood</a>
Currently Reading: The Master
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by professor26 »

Human trafficking seems to be a world wide problem today ... continental gangs in England and in Ireland targeting innocent young migrants, and in this book, in Las Vegas. Dark themes are hard to read but sometimes they ake riveting reading. The reviewer certainly seems to have been hooked by it, resulting in a comprehensive adn empathetic review that makes me want to read the book as well.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I like darker themes in a book and this one sounds right up my alley. I'm sure Las Vegas makes for an interesting setting in a book. Great job on the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”