Historical fiction.

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Historical fiction.

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

I like the idea of historical fiction; I do not find, however, that I enjoy all approaches to the genre equally. While this was an enjoyable book, the fantasy approach felt more prominent to me than the historic facets. I more enjoy historical fiction that sticks super close to examining historic events, or that focus on the everyday life of an "Everyman" type fictional character.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I never paid much attention to this genre before, but this changed after I read "23 Minutes Past 1 A.M." by Robert Dornan. It's beautiful when an author tries to make the readers experience the past through a fictional character. Since then, I've come to love this genre. Hooray for historical fiction authors!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres and hands down my favorite way to learn about different time periods. Frequently I end up reading up more about a certain historical event or era after reading a particularly good book on the subject.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. Adding a fantasy twist can be a bonus depending on the book. It tends to make me want to go back and research the subject further.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. I love history and reading books that take you back in time and learning more about that era feels really amazing.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

The overall value of historical fiction is to inspire readers to do a bit more research and reading. Some folks just can't stand to read the tortuous steps of the academic using statistics to impose some sort of rigorous container that will account for and contain human interaction.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I love historical fiction. The combination of fact and fiction keeps my interest. I'm not a huge history fan but I have found that historical fiction books, if well-written, allow me to become more interested in a certain historical period.
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Post by noethe5 »

I really like historical fiction. I believe that the historical element grounds the story and offers something for the reader to connect to and learn from. Diary of an Immortal is an especially interesting form of historical fiction as it weaves in fantasy as well. That is a twist I have not experienced much before. Some of the historic details were so vivid and graphic in this book. I especially liked the scenes from Dachau; I felt like I was there!

I think that historical fiction would be difficult to write for me because I would want to be so accurate in the details of the history that I may have a hard time loosening the fiction part from my imagination. Kudos to those who write historical fiction. Keep it up! I love to read it!
kashif faridi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kashif faridi »

History in its self is not much of an appeal to readers, thus the idiom, no one learns from HISTORY. If history is narrated through incidents, facts or visualizations, it touches the human mind somewhere that when referring to one point in history, he uses these illustrations to make his point or build upon his statements. Exaggerations tend to kill the subtle historical facts, which must be avoided. So, in my opinion, historical fiction is needed.
Adda
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Adda »

Immersion in history is so breath taking occupation!
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I'm partial to a GOOD historical fiction book. This kind of novel is tough to do correctly in my opinion. Especially if one is left to straddle the fence between historical fiction and a science-fiction or fantasy genre. I like a historical fiction novel that gives enough information to show that the author has done their homework, and perhaps enough so to even teach me something about that time period. On the other hand, I have seen this approach go horribly awry in that it takes away from the novel and lends itself more to a textbook. A book that is able to make me wonder where the facts actually end and the science-fiction/fantasy/literature created actually begins is a success in my opinion.
breyfoglese
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breyfoglese.html
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella

Post by breyfoglese »

Historical fiction is tricky for me. I grew up reading American Girl stories (anyone else?) and I enjoyed those, but if historical fiction is bad it can be so weighty. Sometimes historical fiction novels also lack an appropriate scope and bite off more than they can chew - I'm thinking this biography of Cleopatra I made a genuine effort to read, but it was 500 pages and about 2/3 of the way through I always got bogged down. It was technically a biography, but so much was dramatized that I feel like it was really more of a novel.
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella
Wahu lucy
Currently Reading: The Kite Runner
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wahu-lucy.html

Post by Wahu lucy »

I think am one of those rare species who love all types of books sci-fi are not my best cup of tea but then again if its interesting enough then why not.
My favourite historical books at the moment are Vassanji's -No New Land and Khaled Hosseini's Kite Runner.
However, Classical books like The Illiad by Homer or The Aeneid and Alittle bit of Sophocles I can pick and read anytime.
Toria Mason
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-mason.html
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander

Post by Toria Mason »

I enjoy the idea of taking historical facts and imagining the meaning behind it. What led to the incident? What inspired it? How did they come to make such a mark on history? It can also be a good way to get people more interested in events they may otherwise overlook. I know I'm more likely to research the real events after reading a good book (or seeing a good show) based even loosely on those events. I have recently learned a lot about the reality of the Salem Witch trials, and in my research found that many of the characters on the show Salem were based off real people, and that will help the facts stick easier in my mind because it became something of interest. I had a similar incident with the show Black Sails, and I may never hear 'Give me liberty or give me death' the same after reading the book "Or Give Me Death" by Ann Rinaldi.
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

SandraTWP-BRW wrote:I like the idea of historical fiction; I do not find, however, that I enjoy all approaches to the genre equally. While this was an enjoyable book, the fantasy approach felt more prominent to me than the historic facets. I more enjoy historical fiction that sticks super close to examining historic events, or that focus on the everyday life of an "Everyman" type fictional character.
I agree with this. The genre has been added to so much that it almost needs further differentiation because it covers too much.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”