Official Review: A Touch of Homicide by Peter S. Fischer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: A Touch of Homicide by Peter S. Fischer

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Touch of Homicide" by Peter S. Fischer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Touch of Homicide by Peter S Fischer is the twelfth installment in the author’s Hollywood Murder Mystery Series, yet this book succeeds on many levels as a standalone novel. Written in a similar style as the works of Agatha Christie, A Touch of Homicide is a typical “whodunit” mystery. Joe Bernardi is a partner in one of the most successful management and publicity firms in the Hollywood film industry. Shockingly, Joe and his long time hero, Orson Welles, become prime suspects in the twisted murder investigation of a distasteful producer. The crime scene is filled with clues, each pointing to a different suspect. The many twists and turns of the story, along with the abundance of unsavory suspects, will keep readers guessing right up to the end.

Set in 1958, Fischer does a wonderful job capturing the essence of old Hollywood. From bottom feeding producers, to wives that are willing to do anything to progress their husband’s careers, this book is full of the scandal and intrigue one would expect of a Hollywood tale. For movie buffs, this book is a real treat. The mention of famous Hollywood stars like Orson Welles coupled with the characterization of wannabe actresses, producers, screenwriters, mobsters, and brainless cops really create a distinct mood for the story to unfold upon.

The narrative moved along quickly and held my interest throughout. At only about 200 pages, the book can easily be read in one sitting. The author masterfully intertwines the narrator’s personal troubles with the murder mystery. Aside from Bernardi’s curiosity about the murder, he is also tasked with investigating the whereabouts of his missing girlfriend, Bunny. The secondary plot helped to not only humanize the narrator, but also worked to hold the reader’s interest.

Though A Touch of Homicide was a great read, it definitely falls into the “whodunit” and “cozy mystery” categories and for that reason, it may not be for everyone. Those looking for a mystery with lots of substance and thrill will be disappointed by the easy going and relatively fluffy narrative A Touch of Homicide has to offer. The narrative structure as well as the characters and motives are nothing special. What makes the book so distinctive is the playful writing style and likable narrator.

Though this book may not be for everyone, it truly was enjoyable to read and thus, I rate A Touch of Homicide 4 out of 4 stars. I look forward to reading some of the other installments in The Hollywood Murder Series. Fans of cozy mysteries, movie buffs, and those who enjoy reading about 1950’s Hollywood will take great pleasure in reading Fischer’s work.

A Touch of Homicide
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like a good easy going mystery every once in a while. Sometimes it's nice just to read something easy. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! I like “whodunit” mystery with plenty of twists and turns of the story.
Great job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:I like a good easy going mystery every once in a while. Sometimes it's nice just to read something easy. Thanks for the review.
I agree! I usually prefer books that really make me think but this one was a nice change of pace! Thanks for reading my review :)

-- 14 Feb 2017, 06:56 --
gali wrote:Sounds good! I like “whodunit” mystery with plenty of twists and turns of the story.
Great job on the review!
This is definitely a fun one! Thank you for the kind words! :tiphat:
rbhavsar236
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by rbhavsar236 »

nice story.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I'm glad that this first installment of the series is reminiscent of Agatha Christie. Her series were a cozy favorite in my household at one time. :D

The narrator's life sounds intriguing, especially with the addition of the mob and wannabe actresses, producers, and screenwriters. I don't mind the fluffy nature that you carefully noted.

Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. Sounds like a wonderful story, Hollywood intrigue and mystery has me hooked. Added it to my TBR list. Congratulations on being BOTD!
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thank you for an honest review! My interest was piqued immediately. Mystery thrillers are really right up my alley. I will add it to my to-read list.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

I like a mystery, and although it is hard to review a book like that, without giving away the thrill, I enjoyed your review.

I have purchased the book on my kindle and look forward to reading it.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
dinoguy
Currently Reading: The Fourth Paradigm
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dinoguy.html

Post by dinoguy »

It's a mixed bag for me when it comes to this type of mystery. The review has given me enough insight to perhaps take a stab at reading this book. Though I prefer more thought provoking reads, I'm not opposed to reading books like this because the nature of it is enticing to me. I'd be willing to give it a go based on this review.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review! This book sounds great for fans of Agatha Christie, although I'm not sure it's for me since I tend to stay away from fluffy narratives. :P
Aakaraw
Currently Reading: The Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aakaraw.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Aakaraw »

Fun murder mystery!!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Queen Carmen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 502">Sweet Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: City of Glass
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-carmen.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Paradise" by W.E. Lawrence
Publishing Contest Votes: 3

Post by Queen Carmen »

Good review MarisaRose ~ Though not the type of book I like to read ( I like mysteries with a lot of action), it's good that you were able to read a book that you enjoyed when giving a review. Great job on BOTD Peter S. Fischer!
Latest Review: "Guardian of Paradise" by W.E. Lawrence
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I'm looking forward to reading this mystery! Thank you for the review! I love mysteries...my absolute favorite genre! Headed to Amazon to make my purchase! Yay!!
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

This book looks great! Just not sure how long your sitting down for if it can easily be read in one sitting ?.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”