Official Review: Stacked CAse by Andy Gruse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Stacked CAse by Andy Gruse

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stacked CAse" by Andy Gruse.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stacked Case is an exciting crime novel written by Andy Gruse

Zachary Stack is a private investigator and co-owner of Dre-Zack Detective Agency in Baltimore. While out on a case, Zack received a text message that Darnell Whittaker is out on parole. Darnell Whittaker was only seventeen years old when he was convicted for the murder of Frank Staechel in Michigan City, Indiana. Now, sixteen years after he was locked up, Darnell is released from prison and claims he was framed.

Shortly after, Darnell’s lawyer ends up dead; Darnell, himself, is back in jail for possession of drugs; and Zack is on his way to Indiana to help clear Darnell’s name. However, it seems like someone is determined to keep Darnell locked up.

With a fast pacing and told in the third person perspective, this book is an exciting and suspenseful story about secret identity, corruption, discrimination, frame up and an old conspiracy. The mystery begins very early in the book and the plot thickens as the story goes, making the book difficult to put down. By giving the readers some obvious hints, the author makes them feel they are the ones gradually unraveling the mystery as they read along. With the main plot already established, a subplot is randomly inserted which serves to heighten the suspense of the main plot.

The setting, particularly Michigan City, Indiana, is vividly described while various scenes like fighting, confrontation and escape, are thoroughly depicted. Dialogues are engaging especially between Zack and Darnell and between Zach and Andre. The occasional street slang makes the conversations even more fascinating.

The secondary characters, each given short but enough backstories, are well-developed and easily relatable especially Julie, the loving girlfriend, and Michelle, the concerned friend and colleague. My favorite, however, is Darnell because he turns out not as jaded as he should be after being locked up for a crime he did not commit. I also find his banters with Zack amusing and sometimes downright funny.

However, I think the climax came too early in the story while the ending felt incomplete and was not as satisfying as I hoped it would be. I also noticed several errors (as he to split his time, your welcome and you’re business card among others) within the entire book. Moreover, though I did not mind much, other readers may find the frequent use of sentence fragments, probably for emphasis, distracting. Furthermore, I found the main protagonist’s character the most difficult to relate with. It seems he was focused on helping Darnell out of guilt. His feelings for his family and the skills he learned from the Marine Corps were not very much elaborated.

All in all, this is an interesting, exciting and suspenseful crime novel and despite the errors, I find it an enjoyable read. It shows how far a man is willing to go and what he is willing to do to make amends and do what he thinks is right no matter how late it seems. I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to fans of crime and conspiracy novels.

Stacked CAse
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This isn't my usual genre, but it does sound interesting. It sounds like a good plot. Thanks for the good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote:This isn't my usual genre, but it does sound interesting. It sounds like a good plot. Thanks for the good review.
Thank you. It's a very interesting book :)
Sheila Derr
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-derr.html

Post by Sheila Derr »

Excellent review!!! It sounds like a good read, I like crime novels. I would read it. "By giving the readers some obvious hints, the author makes them feel they are the ones gradually unraveling the mystery as they read along. With the main plot already established".....I love it when a book makes me feel like that. Very well said!!!
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

Your review makes this book sound very interesting. With well-built characters and interesting plots it seems like something that I would like to read. The way the author gives the reader clues to help solve the crimes makes it seem like it would be very interesting. It seems like it is worth the read even with some minor problems. If its a good story, like you make it sound like it is, then I can read through flaws, but it would be nice if it was edited better. Great job on the thorough review.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sheila Derr wrote:Excellent review!!! It sounds like a good read, I like crime novels. I would read it. "By giving the readers some obvious hints, the author makes them feel they are the ones gradually unraveling the mystery as they read along. With the main plot already established".....I love it when a book makes me feel like that. Very well said!!!
Thank you very much. I enjoyed it a lot :)

-- 22 Feb 2017, 22:36 --
Amheiser wrote:Your review makes this book sound very interesting. With well-built characters and interesting plots it seems like something that I would like to read. The way the author gives the reader clues to help solve the crimes makes it seem like it would be very interesting. It seems like it is worth the read even with some minor problems. If its a good story, like you make it sound like it is, then I can read through flaws, but it would be nice if it was edited better. Great job on the thorough review.
Thank you very much.It's a very interesting book that will keep you thinking :)
rbhavsar236
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by rbhavsar236 »

Thank you. It's a very interesting book
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a really good story, although I have to admit that I am a little turned off by the grammatical errors. But I enjoyed reading your review and I might give this one a shot in spite of my reservations. Great job!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

rbhavsar236 wrote:Thank you. It's a very interesting book
You're welcome. Yes, it is :)

-- 23 Feb 2017, 09:52 --
LivreAmour217 wrote:This sounds like a really good story, although I have to admit that I am a little turned off by the grammatical errors. But I enjoyed reading your review and I might give this one a shot in spite of my reservations. Great job!
Thank you very much. Except for the errors, it's one enjoyable book :)
Sheila Derr
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-derr.html

Post by Sheila Derr »

You're so very welcome!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”