Official Review: Hibernation by SJ Epps

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Hibernation by SJ Epps

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hibernation" by SJ Epps.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author SJ Epps focuses on controversial current events in the novel Hibernation. Winter Sams is a well-regarded pastor presiding over a large, conservative congregation in a world where LGBT citizens experience more civil rights than ever before. However, Winter Sams has a secret that has the potential to smear his reputation and destroy his relationships with his congregants. Looming in the background of Winter’s story is a court room drama connected to another pastor. Simon is accused of a hate crime for refusing to perform a marriage ceremony for a same sex couple despite a contractual agreement to do so.

The blurb for Hibernation makes the book seem more action packed than it really is. The narrative focuses on the inner workings of the minds of Winter and Simon. Winter has built his entire life around a lie and is now feeling the consequences both internally and externally as his emotional unraveling effects those close to him. Similarly, Simon is facing the possibility of prison life which would mean leaving behind his ailing wife and possibly the loss of his career. Although the characters were interesting and their plights made for a captivating story, the main message about LGBT rights seemed to fall by the wayside. At the conclusion, there was no feeling that the author had made a stance for or against the matter. In fact, the overall theme that “the world has flipped upside down (quoted from the book blurb)” seemed to be nonexistent. Other than the mention of some new legislation allowing for the expanded rights of the LGBT community and the mention of some overzealous rioters, this theme had no bearing on the overall plot. The main characters could be experiencing the same situations in our current society.

The characterization was the most enjoyable part of Hibernation. The author did a good job showing the inner conflict of the main characters. The narrative is told in the third person, often switching the point of view between Winter and Simon. There were well thought out secondary characters as well. For example, Winter’s wife, Tab, is a complex character also struggling with inner demons.

Other than the lack of a clear message, as promised by the book blurb, the court room drama was the least interesting aspect of the book. Though the verdict is supposed to be the climactic event of the story, it felt predictable and elementary.

Being only two hundred pages, Hibernation makes for a quick, easy read. The author’s writing style and character development was enjoyable, making me lean toward a higher rating. However, the disappointing lack of a true message in the novel caused me to give this novel a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The story is well written and the characters are three dimensional, all making this book still worthwhile. I recommend Hibernation to those interested in the subject of LGBT rights and stories of the same nature.

Hibernation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an intriguing book with interesting characters . However, I'm not much into LGBT stories. Good job on the review.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like an intriguing book with interesting characters . However, I'm not much into LGBT stories. Good job on the review.
Thank you! There were many good aspects of this book :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This doesn't sound like a book I will read, but the review sounds interesting. I love a book with good characters. Thanks for the good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:This doesn't sound like a book I will read, but the review sounds interesting. I love a book with good characters. Thanks for the good review.
Thank you :) I can understand that this book is not for everyone!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the insightful review! I do enjoy a good read that speaks about the subject LGBT. It's too bad that the plot wasn't as exciting as it could have been. At least, the characters were strong, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read regardless!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sound intrguing. I like when a narrative focuses on the inner workings of the protagonists. I am not sure it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed the book overall. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Aniaks
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniaks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Aniaks »

Though the plot could be more exciting and enjoying, I like reading LGBT books and this is one of my type. Due to strong characters, I may lean towards reading this book. But the book is short so I am in the dilemna of whether to have it or not.
Well congratulations on the review.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I looked forward to this book before, but now I MUST sample it. The characterization of the pastors will probably be an interesting aspect of Hibernation. Thanks for reviewing it.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like it would be an interesting read. Especially how you said that one of the characters have been living a lie. Do you think that's where the title comes from? Maybe the real him is in "hibernation" while the fake him is the one everyone sees? If that's the case, it makes the book sound even more interesting.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Thanks for the review. It sounds like the book fell short for its own proposed main message but has potential through the characters / dynamic itself. This isn't the type of book that is up my alley, but there are likely a lot of people here that may enjoy it.
skalicia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skalicia.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by skalicia »

Sounds like an interesting read. I like books with strong characters.
CLOSETOYOU
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-closetoyou.html

Post by CLOSETOYOU »

About LGBT Community, they still human has feelings like a normal being but always misunderstood. The stories Hibernation sounds interesting in real life.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I don't think that this book is for me, but I enjoyed reading your detailed review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

This sounds like a super interesting read and something not normally seen. Well done!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”