Official Review: Fused by Dr James Manning

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Fused by Dr James Manning

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fused" by Dr James Manning.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fused: A Memoir of Childhood OCD and Adult Obsession is a biographical account written by Dr. James Manning. Within this book, Dr. Manning offers both professional (he is a psychologist) and very personal insights into a form of anxiety known as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). This book chronicles Dr. Manning's journey with OCD, from his first brush with the disorder at the age of ten, to his eventual mastery of the compulsions and intrusive thoughts that come standard with this condition.

I decided to read this book for personal reasons. I have mentioned in other posts that I am mildly autistic, but I don't think that I've disclosed that I also carry the diagnosis of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I picked up this book thinking that Dr. Manning's expertise, both personal and professional, would be helpful for me. I am happy to say to say that I was not disappointed by this book. Fused is an excellent resource, not only for those who have OCD, but for their friends and loved ones as well.

Dr. Manning does a stupendous job of giving a voice to OCD. He delves into great detail within his own personal life, and leaves nothing out as he explains the motives and thought processes that fueled his obsessions. As someone who has OCD, I found his personal account to be reassuring. Countless times throughout the book, I found myself uttering phrases like "I've done that!" or "I'm so glad that I'm not the only one!" The reminder that I am not alone with these tendencies was comforting, and I believe that others with OCD would feel similarly after reading this book. For those who don't live with OCD, Dr. Manning's story provides easy-to-understand insights into the aspects of OCD that can be especially frustrating to observers.

In addition to sharing the author's personal story, Fused also includes some resources for sufferers of OCD. There are practical exercises, a glossary of the technical terms used throughout the book, and a list of potentially helpful psychotropic medications. Dr. Manning also does an excellent job of recapping the book's main points in the final chapter, which I thought was a nice touch due to the sheer volume of information within.

Other than a few grammatical oversights, I found no flaws with this book, and I award it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend Fused not only to those afflicted with OCD, but also to anyone who knows someone with this condition. I would also suggest that psychology students read this book, as it places emphasis one the person behind the symptoms (something that academia often overlooks).

Fused
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think we all struggle with our own issues to some extent or another, just not all of us are willing to admit it. I also find benefit from reading books such as these, and this sounds like a good one. I applaud you for being willing to be open about your struggles as well. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Books that are readable, educational and helpful are hard to come by. Sounds like you have found a real gem. Thanks for this review and for sharing personally. Congratulations to the author.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kandscreeley wrote:I think we all struggle with our own issues to some extent or another, just not all of us are willing to admit it. I also find benefit from reading books such as these, and this sounds like a good one. I applaud you for being willing to be open about your struggles as well. Thanks for the review.
Thank you! I agree that we all have our issues, and that some people are less likely than others to face that fact. I enjoyed this book because the author had the courage to open up about his struggles.

-- 20 Feb 2017, 20:51 --
Elaine5 wrote:Books that are readable, educational and helpful are hard to come by. Sounds like you have found a real gem. Thanks for this review and for sharing personally. Congratulations to the author.
Thank you very much! You are correct--this book is a gem!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What a wonderful review, LivreAmour217! First of all, thank you for sharing such personal information. Secondly, this book sounds fascinating. I love a good non-fiction text, but with one that speaks about OCD, my interest piques a bit more. I have known some people (mainly previous students) with OCD and I am always up for learning more about what others experience.

Congratulations to the author for writing such a compelling book and for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

hsimone wrote:What a wonderful review, LivreAmour217! First of all, thank you for sharing such personal information. Secondly, this book sounds fascinating. I love a good non-fiction text, but with one that speaks about OCD, my interest piques a bit more. I have known some people (mainly previous students) with OCD and I am always up for learning more about what others experience.

Congratulations to the author for writing such a compelling book and for receiving such a positive review!
Thank you, Hsimone! This is a great book for those who are interested in learning more about OCD
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book. I don't have OCD but I know of a lot who have and this sounds like a very informative and helpful book. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Dr James Manning on such an obviously well written book.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a great book. I don't have OCD but I know of a lot who have and this sounds like a very informative and helpful book. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Dr James Manning on such an obviously well written book.
Thank you! Informative and helpful are two very good words to describe this book!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review as always. :) The book sounds very informative with an added personal touch by the author sharing his own experiences. I love it when a reviewer is a good fit for a particular book!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review as always. :) The book sounds very informative with an added personal touch by the author sharing his own experiences. I love it when a reviewer is a good fit for a particular book!
Thank you so much! :) Yes, this book was a very good fit for me, and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to read it!
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

It sounds like the author of this book did a wonderful job writing this book. Excellent reviewing from you LivreAmour217!
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Taralovesbooks1
Currently Reading: Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taralovesbooks1.html

Post by Taralovesbooks1 »

This article of Fused by Dr James Manning,I really enjoyed your article!It was very inspring!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Cee-Jay Aurinko wrote:It sounds like the author of this book did a wonderful job writing this book. Excellent reviewing from you LivreAmour217!
Thank you! And yes, he did!

-- 25 Feb 2017, 10:47 --
Taralovesbooks1 wrote:This article of Fused by Dr James Manning,I really enjoyed your article!It was very inspring!
I'm glad that you enjoyed it!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for sharing. I am glad you found the book helpful. It does sound like an excellent resource for sufferers of OCD. Great job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

gali wrote:Thank you for sharing. I am glad you found the book helpful. It does sound like an excellent resource for sufferers of OCD. Great job on the review!
Thank you, Gali! :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”