Official Review: Duel in Zapata by Ramon Quintanilla

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Official Review: Duel in Zapata by Ramon Quintanilla

Post by Sarah_Khan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Duel in Zapata" by Ramon Quintanilla.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Duel in Zapata by Ramon Quintanilla is a thrilling horror novel that deals with possession. This story revolves around a little boy named Diego who starts acting out of the ordinary. His mother, sensing that something is terribly wrong, seeks help from the local priest, but the Church has its own set of rules. In order for the priest to be able to help the boy, he must first have a doctor come evaluate the situation. Unfortunately, there is not much time left to save Diego and not everyone’s intentions are wholly innocent.

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. Everything about this book was great, even the amazing cover! The author’s writing style was excellent. His writing managed to paint vivid pictures in my head without the use of complicated words or long descriptions, and since this is a horror novel, being able to accurately visualize the scenes of the book was very important. I also liked that the author added Spanish in the novel. When certain characters spoke, he wrote their speech in Spanish and then translated it, I felt like this added some nice personality to the book.

One thing I highly appreciated was that there were plot twists that took me by surprise. I am the type of person who can smell a plot twist from a mile away, so it was nice to actually be shocked for once. Another thing I admired was that the author had me constantly doubting the characters. I had no idea who was telling the truth and who we could trust, this made it extra fun to read and kept me on the edge of my seat until the very last chapter.

The only minuscule complaint I have is that in the first few chapters of the book, some verbs were used in the wrong tense. I thought this would be hard to ignore, but fortunately, the verbs only seemed to be a problem in the beginning of the book, which is why I did not deduct a star from my rating.

Duel in Zapata by Ramon Quintanilla is not immensely horrifying; therefore, I would recommend it to anyone, not just to fans of horror (excluding young children, of course). I would also like to mention that this novel reminded me of the new television series called The Exorcist, so if you are a fan of the television show, you should definitely check this book out.

Duel in Zapata
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah_Khan's review? Post a comment saying so!
PARVEZ ALAM
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parvez-alam.html

Post by PARVEZ ALAM »

Excelent review to this book,those who loves to read horror book ,this is for them.
Queen Carmen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 502">Sweet Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: City of Glass
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-carmen.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Paradise" by W.E. Lawrence
Publishing Contest Votes: 3

Post by Queen Carmen »

Great review Sarah_Khan! This sounds like an excellent horror book for anyone that likes that genre ~
Latest Review: "Guardian of Paradise" by W.E. Lawrence
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Thank you guys! Yes, fans of horror will definitely enjoy this book. :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting read. However, it seems too creepy for me :) . Great job on the review. Congratulations to Ramon Quintanilla on such an obviously well written book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”