Why Romance? What do you get out of it?

For February 2016, we will be reading Romance.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Why Romance? What do you get out of it?

Post by Gravy »

I thought this would be an opportune place to ask this.

Of course, there's as many reasons as there are readers, but (in a nutshell) what does reading romance give you? Why does it interest you? I've been trying to answer this for myself, but to no avail :eusa-think:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Along those same lines, my question would be so you think most romance is realistic? I personally would say no. It's not all gushy love feelings. It's commitment as well even when you aren't feeling the gushy love.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I'm only a fan of romance occasionally. Obviously, most of it us unrealistic. I have what I consider the perfect relationship with my husband, but I think sometimes it's nice to read about others, especially if it's a really good one that can make you giddy. ?
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I've found lots of reasons to read romance books. Generally they're short, easy reads that I can get through in a day or two. On average, I've found it's easier to find a romance novel for free or for very inexpensive. Even if it is part of a series, many romance novels can stand alone without needing to find the second or third one.

For the second question, I find I gravitate towards romance novels during higher stress points in my life. I've been at my job long enough to be able to recognize the cycles and when that stress peak hits I tend to start looking through my stash of romances. The relatively short, easy read means I can escape for a few hours and find the book's resolution satisfying instead of reading until a cliffhanger at the end of a chapter. Romance, in my opinion, is a good choice for reading when things are stressful because it's designed to focus on emotions and leave a reader satisfied with the ending.

Kandscreeley, I don't find most romance novels to be realistic. I have found a few that are but I also don't believe realism to be the purpose of a romance novel. Romances are supposed to leave you with a distinct emotion at the end. Think about the beginning of a romantic relationship, there is a lot of gushy stuff in the beginning. Books tend to end before the relationship is old enough to be out of the "honeymoon phase."
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I tend to not to read romance, mostly because the characters are often not very realistic. I tried to read a few books, but could not get hooked. I much prefer SF&F and horror now.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I am a romance junkie! My shelves are full of both erotic romance, paranormal romance, traditional romance, and so on. I believe I read romance because I love the interactions between two individuals who are interested in each other. I love to feel the tension build between them as the relationship is growing. I love the insecurities that come to light in both male and female characters. Each of us is most vulnerable when we lower our defenses and let another person get close to us. This process fascinates me and good romance writers delve into these insecurities, the conflicts that arise, and the ultimate resolution that brings the characters to admit their love and attain their HEA! I also enjoy reading the steamy sex scenes. Some people are offended. Not I. Whether it is tame or down and dirty, MF, MFM, MMF or any other combination, if written properly these scenes are satisfying to the reader. Human sexuality is such a taboo subject and too many of us, particularly female, were raised to think sex is dirty or wrong in some way. I find reading romance or erotica allows me to explore human sexuality in a safe yet uninhibited way. I don't have to worry about other people's judgments and I can read any title, any author I want. I have a friend who is a sexologist and she says that many of her patients are repressed and reading erotic fiction can help open them up and allows them to embrace more of their own sexuality. Sexuality and personal intimacy are lacking for many people and I would assume that reading romance may allow many people to live vicariously through their favorite characters.
Kate_Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kate_Lewis »

I'm only 17, so I don't read much romance. The only books i read in that section are Nicholas sparks books. I adored the few I have read so far: The Notebook, the last song, the longest ride, and The choice. I only read them because I enjoy the love stories, how two people met and fell in love. This author does an amazing job, nothing about it feels forced or anything. I don't quite want a romance novel for the "action", I want the story.
bookishfreak4life
Currently Reading: Desperately Seeking Sixty-Nine
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishfreak4life.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by bookishfreak4life »

I love your answer! There are some really cheesy nonrealistic romance novels out there. I find the ones that are the best have characters who are no different than the rest of us. They're real, raw and ultimately intriguing. I read just about anything and it doesn't bother me to read menages, FF, MFM, MMF...etc. I keep an open mind because, in the end, it's mostly about love. As my daughter always says, "Don't you just love love?"

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I am a romance junkie! My shelves are full of both erotic romance, paranormal romance, traditional romance, and so on. I believe I read romance because I love the interactions between two individuals who are interested in each other. I love to feel the tension build between them as the relationship is growing. I love the insecurities that come to light in both male and female characters. Each of us is most vulnerable when we lower our defenses and let another person get close to us. This process fascinates me and good romance writers delve into these insecurities, the conflicts that arise, and the ultimate resolution that brings the characters to admit their love and attain their HEA! I also enjoy reading the steamy sex scenes. Some people are offended. Not I. Whether it is tame or down and dirty, MF, MFM, MMF or any other combination, if written properly these scenes are satisfying to the reader. Human sexuality is such a taboo subject and too many of us, particularly female, were raised to think sex is dirty or wrong in some way. I find reading romance or erotica allows me to explore human sexuality in a safe yet uninhibited way. I don't have to worry about other people's judgments and I can read any title, any author I want. I have a friend who is a sexologist and she says that many of her patients are repressed and reading erotic fiction can help open them up and allows them to embrace more of their own sexuality. Sexuality and personal intimacy are lacking for many people and I would assume that reading romance may allow many people to live vicariously through their favorite characters.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I don't actually read that much romance, but what I do read I really enjoy. My romance reads tend toward paranormal/sci-fi, but an odd theme that always seems to be present (regardless of the sub-genre) is characters who are damaged. I suppose I was never one for the 'perfect' love story.

So I guess that's my answer: damaged characters finding the place that they fit.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Why do i read romance novels?
Because i am a romantic at heart. I love pink cards with so many hearts. I like getting surprise valentine day gift at midnight. I love everything associated with love.
I love when the characters of a romance novel time travel or face the world to meet their lover. Over all i love the feeling that love conquers all. Ultimately it is love which is real in life( for me it is :) ). I like the tingling sensation we get when we are in surreal love and that is what i get from romance novels. Not once but every time i read them. I hope that it answers your question.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote:I don't actually read that much romance, but what I do read I really enjoy. My romance reads tend toward paranormal/sci-fi, but an odd theme that always seems to be present (regardless of the sub-genre) is characters who are damaged. I suppose I was never one for the 'perfect' love story.

So I guess that's my answer: damaged characters finding the place that they fit.
I also like when there are damaged characters trying to find a place to fit. Most times, I enjoy books with some romance, but there needs to be an overarching storyline that doesn't necessarily have to do with romance in a fantasy/paranormal read.

I don't mind if the focus in Nicholas Sparks's books is romance because he makes you care about the characters and most situations are realistic.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I think what interests me about romance, is that in nature I am somewhat of an incurable romantic. I love a good book with a love triangle or star crossed lovers. I've always been a fan of this type of love, and put it on a pedestal. It's grandiose, forbidden so wrong it's right kind of attraction, I think I like this sort of thing because to me that's fairytale escapism. I love love.

However, I don't read pure romance books, but rather books where the romance is PART of the plot, and mostly I stick to young adult.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

The rare times when I have chosen to read romance have mostly been during occasions such as plane rides where I'm looking for a quick simple read that doesn't require too much concentration or serious analysis - something to pass the time in a light way.
Katy Isodo
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katy-isodo.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Katy Isodo »

I have to be in the mood for romance and there are some that I just avoid because I know I won't appreciate them. Well known romance authors like Daniel Steel and Nora Roberts, that's a side of the genre I tend to steer away from because I get bored quickly with it. If I do pick up a sappy romance novel it's usually young adult and read kind of like junk food for my brain. That said, there are some that I love for the emotions they provoke - The Time Travelers Wife and P.S. I Love You are two that I've actually reread a few times.
ollesternberg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ollesternberg »

Kate_Lewis wrote:I'm only 17, so I don't read much romance. The only books i read in that section are Nicholas sparks books. I adored the few I have read so far: The Notebook, the last song, the longest ride, and The choice. I only read them because I enjoy the love stories, how two people met and fell in love. This author does an amazing job, nothing about it feels forced or anything. I don't quite want a romance novel for the "action", I want the story.

Yupp, Nicholas sparks books are really amazing!!! and worth reading. :d

Return to “February 2017 Genre Discussion”