Official Review: Rapier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Rapier

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rapier" by R. A. "Doc" Correa.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was delighted recently to read Rapier, a fast-paced, science fiction, swashbuckling novel from R.A. “Doc” Correa. Refreshing in its approach to the adventure novel genre, Rapier takes the reader to the reaches of outer space, traveling along with a crew of highly skilled privateers.

The main character, Kathy Masters, had gotten her big break: a contract with Galactic Geographic to photograph a new planet. It’s a dream come true… until her ship is taken by pirates, and she finds herself their captive. The next decade or so of Kathy’s life makes for an entertaining and engaging read.

I think what I personally enjoyed most about Rapier was the author’s unique storytelling style. Usually, with fiction, I value becoming immersed in the plot immediately. The quicker I find my imagination captured, the more committed I become to the characters. In Rapier, instead, I found myself identifying with a harried mom, grimly recognizing the morning rush, the struggle with children developing their own lives, the indifference of the family pet (that still, excuse me, wants to be fed), and the bills that never seem to stop coming. I didn’t need to be caught up in that scene; I live it. But then something amazing happens. As the main character, Kathy begins narrating the flashbacks that will serve to be her family’s bread and butter, the most amazing and engaging story of swashbuckling emerges. For most of the book, I simply didn’t want to put it down.

That said, this story was not an entirely comfortable read for me. First of all, the story centers around Kathy’s life while living with pirates. No matter what Disney tells us, pirates (as a rule) are not nice people. Kathy herself has to learn the code of the “brotherhood” and learns to leverage it well to her advantage. But she, and we, as readers, also learn about the dark side of piracy and human beings who decide to live outside both the law and ethics. Most of the violence in the book is limited to the space battle type we enjoy in certain movies, and the author does a good job of addressing the impact of how, to the characters, this is real violence. But even more so, when you live such a lifestyle, eventually the violence gets personal. There are several passages which I found hard to process emotionally. It’s not that they were unrealistic or outside the bounds of the plot. On the contrary, they were very real, and the author did his job in making it so for the reader. While I admire his work in this respect, I feel obligated to let others know that such difficult passages arise in a book that is otherwise extremely “feel good.”

I did note several occasions where Rapier could have benefited from a closer editorial eye. Over the course of the entire book, there were a few times where the text reflected errors of punctuation or grammar, where possession was to be demonstrated, or a subject and verb pair were not in agreement. These instances were rare, but present, and are a shame in such an otherwise well-crafted story. For this reason alone, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Otherwise, I would have given it a perfect score.

Rapier
View: on Bookshelves

Like SandraTWP-BRW's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Wow, this sounds like a really interesting book. I can definitely relate to the harried mom angle. I'm very intrigued with reading more about her past that seems to be in complete opposition to her life now. I'll definitely be looking more into this book. Thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound rather interesting. Space pirates? I don't think it's for me though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Katelyn Scott
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-scott.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by Katelyn Scott »

Sounds interesting. Not sure if I'd read it on account of what sounds like some graphic violence, but it is an intriguing premise overall.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
SHAQUILLE WORRELL
Currently Reading: The Great Pack
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SHAQUILLE WORRELL »

ashley_claire wrote:Wow, this sounds like a really interesting book. I can definitely relate to the harried mom angle. I'm very intrigued with reading more about her past that seems to be in complete opposition to her life now. I'll definitely be looking more into this book. Thanks for the great review!
-- 08 Mar 2017, 21:16 --

I personally like the topic and to be honest it sounds very interesting.I believe the future me would most likely read it.Thank you for the review.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

This sounds like a fascinating book. I love that the author put time into creating scenes that were too real as you mentioned. That normally shows that the book is good. I hate that there were grammatical issues to deter this book from being rated 4 of 4 stars. Thank you for an honest review.
Madison Degraffenreid
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book with admirable protagonist. However, I may find reading about pirates a little uncomfortable. Great job on the review.
Raman Chopra
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Raman Chopra »

wow its really intersting

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”