Official Review: Agony of the Gods by Tom Wolosz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Agony of the Gods by Tom Wolosz

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Agony of the Gods" by Tom Wolosz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Agony of the Gods is an exciting science fiction novel written by Tom Wolosz.

After harnessing the power in the universe, scientists create The Machine which can use that power to grant any person anything he wishes for, even his own world to lord over and do as he pleases, making him like God. These people who are connected to The Machine are called Originals. The Originals are omnipotent. They are also hedonistic, vain, and brutal. They subject their people, called ‘prints,’ to various kinds of suffering merely for amusement.

Now, someone is killing the Originals. The enforcer, a print in service of the gods, is sent to find the killer. He and his new apprentice, an alluring woman with a deep sense of self preservation, travel and meet the gods of various worlds. They meet The Fat man in his floating palace, The Imager who takes and keeps images of anyone and anything he fancies, The Maestro whose life is dedicated to finding the perfect musician and The Lady of the Land who is served by talking animals.

Meanwhile, the death toll continues to increase and one question still remains: who can kill an all-powerful god in his own world?

Undoubtedly, the book has a great premise, unique and fresh. Every god is given specific descriptions and every world is described in details. This is not only exciting, but also engaging and thought-provoking. Every chapter introduces something new to think about and the surprising revelations never end. The book is written in third person perspective. Scenes involving the two main protagonists are told alternately between the enforcer and the apprentice.

Basically, the book is about power, how to use it, and how intoxicating it can be. The author adeptly portrays how an ordinary person can and will use his borrowed power to use, abuse and ultimately discard those he considered inferior to him. The book shows how overbearing, callous and inhumane powerful people can be. Likewise, the book depicts the different predilections of people of great power as evidenced by their choice of entertainment.

However, though each world is, without a doubt, very interesting, the descriptions of too many different worlds can be overwhelming to some readers, and the abrupt change of setting can be very confusing. There are simply too many minor characters and too many scenes, which other readers may find excessive. Moreover, I found the backstories on the two main protagonists, well-developed as they are, inadequate for them to be relatable. The enforcer is honorable, respectful, patient and kind while the apprentice is suspicious, ambitious and vindictive. Finally, there are several questions left unanswered and events left unexplained which make the ending of the book less satisfying than I hope it should be.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I love the story. I enjoyed reading it, but there are just too many gaps. I recommend it to fans of science fiction. There are, however, some scenes which may not be suitable for young readers.

Agony of the Gods
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thank you for this descriptive review! I like the premise of this book, so I may add to my ever-growing reading list.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like an interesting book. I wonder if the unanswered questions at the end are pointing to some sort of sequel? Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Thank you for this descriptive review! I like the premise of this book, so I may add to my ever-growing reading list.
Thank you. The premise is great :)

-- 17 Feb 2017, 22:59 --
kandscreeley wrote:It does sound like an interesting book. I wonder if the unanswered questions at the end are pointing to some sort of sequel? Thanks for the review.
It is a very interesting book. I hope there is a sequel. The story is too 'big' to fit in just one book :)
Katelyn Scott
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-scott.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by Katelyn Scott »

Almost reminds me of a genie wish gone wrong.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Katelyn Scott wrote:Almost reminds me of a genie wish gone wrong.
Kind of :D Thank you for the comment.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Nice review :) The book seems quite thought-provoking, dealing with a deep concept. I might check it out.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ananya92 wrote:Nice review :) The book seems quite thought-provoking, dealing with a deep concept. I might check it out.
Thank you. It's a great book :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great review, kimmyschemy06! This definitely sounds like a unique read, but I feel the descriptions of several different worlds and abrupt changes in settings might be a bit much for me. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read, though!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, thorough review! It sounds like the alternating perspectives of the enforcer and apprentice added depth to the story. Glad you enjoyed the book, even though I don't think it's my cup of tea. The descriptions of so many different worlds would overwhelm me.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
victorcyprain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by victorcyprain »

Hmm!
Nice one!
Masinde
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masinde.html

Post by Masinde »

Good review,though the book looks not exciting.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:Another great review, kimmyschemy06! This definitely sounds like a unique read, but I feel the descriptions of several different worlds and abrupt changes in settings might be a bit much for me. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read, though!
Thank you very much. The premise is very interesting I enjoyed it a lot :)

-- 10 Mar 2017, 06:47 --
bookowlie wrote:Nice, thorough review! It sounds like the alternating perspectives of the enforcer and apprentice added depth to the story. Glad you enjoyed the book, even though I don't think it's my cup of tea. The descriptions of so many different worlds would overwhelm me.
Thank you very much. Yes, there are quite too many the reader could lose track of which world is which :). But I enjoyed it just the same.

-- 10 Mar 2017, 06:48 --
victorcyprain wrote:Hmm!
Nice one!
Thank you and welcome to the forum.

-- 10 Mar 2017, 06:49 --
Masinde wrote:Good review,though the book looks not exciting.
Thank you for the comment. Welcome to the forum.
stan545
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by stan545 »

:wink: interesting
Nice!
Really descriptive review.
Arhaan Siddiqui
Currently Reading: Station Eleven

Post by Arhaan Siddiqui »

Very nice and interesting

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”