Official Review: Stirring Li Chao by S.E. Brandenburg

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Stirring Li Chao by S.E. Brandenburg

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stirring Li Chao" by S.E. Brandenburg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stirring Li Chao is a fascinating read for anyone interested in learning more about Daoism or Confucius. I personally know very little of China's multi-faceted history, so reading this book was a bit of an eye-opener for me. The main story centers around Li Chao, who through various circumstances, finds himself on an incredible journey through China. His ultimate goals include finding relatives he has never met and heading to America in search of fortune. Li Chao does not wish for fortune only for the sake of gaining wealth. In the Chinese mindset, one must always honor the family; Li Chao's way of doing this is to bring back fortune for the benefit of his family.

The author allows an intimate look into the mindset of a Chinese Daoist. This is either intriguing or frustrating, depending on the reader's outlook. If the reader merely wants quick entertainment, this is not the book to pick up. Rather, Stirring Li Chao is filled with philosophical pondering as Li Chao searches for wisdom and gleans all there is to know from perspectives other than his own. His journey is somewhat miraculous, as it appears that some hand is guiding and protecting him through multiple perilous situations.

Another theme the author explores is differences between various Chinese factions in the mid-1800's. The reigning emperor comes from the Manchu family. China is the midst of a struggle with Britain over trade rights and the legality of the opium trade. The gospel message spread by missionaries has been taken up as a political war cry by the Taiping rebels. Meanwhile, in another area of China the Hakka and Punti families are feuding. While on his journey, Li Chao encounters all of these groups. Each time he seeks to be humble and learn.

Li Chao's journey takes on philosophical, historical, and spiritual significance. For me, the beauty of this book was learning so much about this time period in China. The author weaves in many Chinese proverbs, which helps to provide a richness and depth to the story. I find the pace to be fairly slow, although it feels right for the subject matter. The main characters are developed very well. I don't wish to give away spoilers, but some may feel the ending was not properly resolved. However, I feel that Stirring Li Chao is more about the journey than about how it ends, so I feel that the ending fits with the character of the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed learning so much about this segment of history. As a westerner, I realize that I do not understand the Chinese mindset. China's civilization is ancient and has much to teach the student of history. I recommend this book fairly highly, but with the caveat that it is a weighty work. Some may not enjoy this style.

Stirring Li Chao
View: on Bookshelves

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

A great and well written review. I am glad you loved it. This doesn't seem like a read I might enjoy though.
Congratulations to the author on getting the highest possible rating!?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
greenstripedgiraffe

Wasif Ahmed wrote:A great and well written review. I am glad you loved it. This doesn't seem like a read I might enjoy though.
Congratulations to the author on getting the highest possible rating!?
Thank you for your kind words! I don't think this book is for everyone, but for someone looking for a leisurely read and a look into China's history, I feel this is well-written.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is a nice review. I've never really been interested in China or its history. I'm not sure why, but for someone looking for that, it sounds like a great book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote:This is a nice review. I've never really been interested in China or its history. I'm not sure why, but for someone looking for that, it sounds like a great book. Thanks.

Thank you for your kind comments!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. I found the history of China very interesting and this book seems to have an abundance of Chinese historical facts. Great job on the review. Congratulations to S.E. Brandenburg on such an obviously well written book.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! A book that both entertains and educates--sounds like a worthwhile read! I'm going to put this one on my "to read" list!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
greenstripedgiraffe

kimmyschemy06 and LivreAmour217 - I really enjoyed this book a lot. It was not a quick read; it took me much longer than normal to come to the end :lol2: The reward came when I finished, though. I felt that I had gained knowledge about a people group that would not easily be forgotten. :techie-studyingbrown:
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The book sounds very thought-provoking. Chinese proverbs have always intrigued me, so it's nice that the author incorporated them into the story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What a great review! I also do not know much about China and its culture and history, but this seems like a great read to learn. It also seems like a very thought-provoking book with this statement: "Li Chao's journey takes on philosophical, historical, and spiritual significance." Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
greenstripedgiraffe

Thank you for your kind compliments, Bookowlie and hsimone!
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Thank you for the awesome review! I feel like this isn't really up my alley so I might pass on it, but it does seem to have a unique concept!

Return to “Historical Fiction”