Official Review: Alligator John D: by John Hudson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: Alligator John D: by John Hudson

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alligator John D:" by John Hudson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alligator John D. is a fascinating memoir by John Hudson. Born in 1922, John grew up in a time very different from today’s generation. His parents had eleven children of which he was the eighth. In this book, he fondly recalls some of his childhood experiences, but the meat of the story is his life as an adult.

John led a life of mischief. At one point, he was even a pool shark. All that changed one Sunday when he was radically transformed after attending church. It was not long before he became a pastor for many different churches. Later on, he pursued his own business which eventually led him to raise alligators. Always having been interested in these creatures since he was a boy, John thrived in his alligator business. Things were not always easy, though, and John shares with us the positive and negative situations that arose during the time he raised alligators.

I loved every minute of this story. The author has certainly led an incredible life. I can not get over the fact that he started raising alligators at 63 years old and did not stop until he was 80 years old. I do not know many people who could do that. I certainly hope I have that kind of energy when I am older!

The pacing of the book is excellent. It is not slow or bogged down with too much information. There is a nice and smooth flow to the story. I was never confused about what was happening because the author is very clear and concise in his writing. Though the book covers many years, much of the author’s life is summarized rather than overly detailed. It is not a very long book and I was able to finish it quickly.

For someone who used to be a pastor, the author does a good job keeping the book from being “preachy”. While he does not shy away from sharing how God saved and transformed him, he writes it in a way that is not pushy. He simply tells his story and lets the reader make up their own mind what they think about it. This is something I think people who are not Christians will appreciate.

Unfortunately, there are occasional grammatical errors. Several times there are spaces between compound words like overnight and maybe. A few times a word is the incorrect tense. For instance, using were instead of was.

I give Alligator John D. a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. If it had not been for the grammatical errors, I would not hesitate to give it a full rating. It is a fascinating tale, perfect for anyone who loves hearing about “the good ol’ days” or is fond of memoirs. You don't have to be an alligator lover to fall in love with this book, though I am sure it helps!

Alligator John D:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a fascinating book! My husband jokes constantly about trapping and/or raising gators after he retires from the military. This might be a book that we would both enjoy! Thanks for the excellent review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book. Just like you, I want to grow old as strong and as energetic as the author. Too bad about the errors. Seems like there is need for another round of editing. Great job on the review.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

LivreAmour217 wrote:This sounds like a fascinating book! My husband jokes constantly about trapping and/or raising gators after he retires from the military. This might be a book that we would both enjoy! Thanks for the excellent review!
Haha that is funny! I've never met anyone that into alligators before, though my brothers have an obsession with snakes!

-- 11 Feb 2017, 20:08 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a great book. Just like you, I want to grow old as strong and as energetic as the author. Too bad about the errors. Seems like there is need for another round of editing. Great job on the review.
Thank you! The author's stamina is astounding!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Eleven children? Raising alligators? A pastor? It definitely sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like an interesting read for fans of the genre. It sure sounds like the author led an incredible life. His passion for alligators is adorable. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

It sounds like John D's life was full of adventure and purpose! Too bad about the grammatical errors, though! This sounds like a fun book to read...always good to learn about how others live and survive in our world, no matter the time period. Thank you for your great review! Nice choice for #BOTD!:-)
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Wish it was edited better! I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book. It sounds good! Thank You for the well written and honest review!
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Stories that focus on the people that one would least likely to expect to become successful are always intriguing to me. It seems that this memoir will uplift me, which is good. I've been in a funk lately. :)
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

This seems like a really interesting read! I'm terrified of coming face to face with an alligator, but I am interested in learning about them. So I think this book would be a great opportunity to learn more about alligators. Great review by the way!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

How refreshing for an autobiography to mostly be about a their life after 60! I agree that 63 sounds like a rough age to begin raising alligators. I think the book sounds like an interesting tale but maybe not for me. Thanks for the review though!
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review! This sounds like one interesting and unique autobiography. I've never heard of someone raising alligators.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Grammer errors are painful but it still sounds like a good read!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Kingcuevas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kingcuevas »

Based on the review I'll get a good read! I can't wait to dive in!!!!!
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great review of today's book of the day.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”