Update after editorial analysis

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Update after editorial analysis

Post by The Researcher »

Can't the editorial inputs provided on our review be incorporated in the submitted review?
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

The Researcher wrote:Can't the editorial inputs provided on our review be incorporated in the submitted review?
Yes. I have been thinking the something. OBC has some really great editors who support errors made by a person in spite of several proofreadings'. The editorial analysis score should be given before the changes are made and the submitted review should be the one with the corrections.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:
The Researcher wrote:Can't the editorial inputs provided on our review be incorporated in the submitted review?
Yes. I have been thinking the something. OBC has some really great editors who support errors made by a person in spite of several proofreadings'. The editorial analysis score should be given before the changes are made and the submitted review should be the one with the corrections.
Yes it seems the better way.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

As I understand it, it is not the editors' job to correct everything in every review (or point out every error) so they can all be published. They primarily act as a filter, determining whether or not the guidelines for reviews have been followed and whether the reviewer used proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, etc. This all has a bearing on whether or not the review meets the standards to be published on the site. While a few errors may be pointed out or a suggestion or two given, the editors cannot be expected to correct every error in every review. That is not a service provided by this site. For that kind of personal, individual help, a writer would need to pay a professional editor or take a writing course.

I suppose it is hoped that if a review is not published, the reviewer can benefit from the editor's remarks and make corrections/improvements so that his/her future reviews will be publishable. And those who write well enough to be published can benefit from the editors' comments as well, as higher ratings on reviews (editorial analysis) lead to a higher reviewer score.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

PashaRu wrote:
As I understand it, it is not the editors' job to correct everything in every review (or point out every error) so they can all be published. They primarily act as a filter, determining whether or not the guidelines for reviews have been followed and whether the reviewer used proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, etc. This all has a bearing on whether or not the review meets the standards to be published on the site. While a few errors may be pointed out or a suggestion or two given, the editors cannot be expected to correct every error in every review. That is not a service provided by this site. For that kind of personal, individual help, a writer would need to pay a professional editor or take a writing course.

I suppose it is hoped that if a review is not published, the reviewer can benefit from the editor's remarks and make corrections/improvements so that his/her future reviews will be publishable. And those who write well enough to be published can benefit from the editors' comments as well, as higher ratings on reviews (editorial analysis) lead to a higher reviewer score.
I understand. Thanks for the comment!?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

PashaRu wrote:

:text-goodpost: :text-yeahthat:
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

PashaRu wrote:

Maybe the word "editor" is a misnomer. I understand that they aren't paid to perfect our reviews for us, however if you are given a middle of the road score, how can you know what to improve? I guess I just wish that the editors would be more specific in why the grade was given. For example, instead of "there were a few grammar errors such as," how about "The article was scored lower due to mistakes throughout the review." I don't feel that the comments that I've gotten have helped lead to higher reviewer scores in the future. I guess that's my ultimate problem. I hope that made sense.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I can see your point. I guess different editors have different styles. Certainly an overly general comment isn't too helpful. Actually, the editor guidelines say to point out things that can be improved. For example, what if the summary is two sentences and hardly tells you anything about the story - here's an extreme example - "This is a romance novel that takes place in California. The main character is Jane." I have also seen the opposite, where there are hardly any opinions and they are so general that they could apply to any book - for example, " I loved the book. I stayed up all night to read it. It was very exciting."
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote:I can see your point. I guess different editors have different styles. Certainly an overly general comment isn't too helpful. Actually, the editor guidelines say to point out things that can be improved. For example, what if the summary is two sentences and hardly tells you anything about the story - here's an extreme example - "This is a romance novel that takes place in California. The main character is Jane." I have also seen the opposite, where there are hardly any opinions and they are so general that they could apply to any book - for example, " I loved the book. I stayed up all night to read it. It was very exciting."
I don't know how specific I'm allowed to be as I'm not trying to call anyone out (not that I know who edited my reviews), but my comments say something such as the reviewer does a good job of summarizing. Then they say that there were a few errors such as this and this. They are basically grammatical errors. Then I get a score of 46. So then am I to assume that the 46 was only because of the grammatical errors?
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I guess it all depends on how many errors, and how serious, they were. You can always contact Scott if you would like more of an explanation or have questions about why the score was so low. While it's true that an editor doesn't have to list every error, I think it's helpful to give additional details if a score is very low.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks bookowlie. I'm not trying to get all my mistakes corrected, but I just want to be able to do a better job the next time.
—Neil Gaiman
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html

Post by PashaRu »

kandscreeley wrote:I don't know how specific I'm allowed to be as I'm not trying to call anyone out (not that I know who edited my reviews), but my comments say something such as the reviewer does a good job of summarizing. Then they say that there were a few errors such as this and this. They are basically grammatical errors. Then I get a score of 46. So then am I to assume that the 46 was only because of the grammatical errors?
Editors are instructed to deduct significant points for grammatical errors. Every reviewer approaches a review differently, and there is plenty of freedom when it comes to how the summary and critique are written. As long as the story is adequately summarized (without spoilers or excessive detail) and the critical comments are specific and helpful, there shouldn't be a huge deduction in points. (Of course, the guidelines for reviews as outlined on the site must be followed. Points will be deducted if they are not.)

However, grammatical errors - incorrect punctuation or sentence structure, misspelled words, errors in syntax and capitalization, etc. - are concrete mistakes, not subject to the opinions of the editor. This site strives for a high standard when it comes to reviews and writing quality, as this will attract better quality authors to submit their books for review. The site markets itself as a place where authors can get a quality book review. And the authors are paying for this service. They don't want a sub-par product. It's hard to take a review seriously if it contains several grammatical errors. And this ultimately reflects badly on the site.

As bookowlie stated, the editor, while not expected to list every error, should point out a few examples in the comments. This will help the reviewer to avoid those mistakes in the future.

Editors should be careful to allow reviewers freedom to write reviews as they wish; there is no specific "formula," and the guidelines for reviews aren't terribly stringent. But grammatical errors - that's a different story.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

kandscreeley wrote:
PashaRu wrote:

Maybe the word "editor" is a misnomer. I understand that they aren't paid to perfect our reviews for us, however if you are given a middle of the road score, how can you know what to improve? I guess I just wish that the editors would be more specific in why the grade was given. For example, instead of "there were a few grammar errors such as," how about "The article was scored lower due to mistakes throughout the review." I don't feel that the comments that I've gotten have helped lead to higher reviewer scores in the future. I guess that's my ultimate problem. I hope that made sense.
To be honest, i have benefited a lot from my editor score. I am an Indian and people here at India have a completely different style of writing (read an indian authors book to see for yourself). So, it took me a few low editor scores to get my writing style a bit better. :tiphat: :D

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”