Official Review: Pearl of the sea by Ruth finnegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Official Review: Pearl of the sea by Ruth finnegan

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pearl of the sea" by Ruth finnegan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pearl of the Seas by Ruth Finnegan is a fairytale adventure written in a poetic style. Kate and Chris are two typical kids who are playing on the shore when Chris finds the perfect log for a ship. The two set to work making their ship with dreams of sailing around the world. They embark on their magical journey in their newly named vessel, “Pearl of the Seas.” Along with their dog Holly, Chris and Kate find themselves on an exciting escapade. This short prequel to Black Inked Pearl was a great read on my snow day.

The style of the book made it a fun read. There are a ton of poetic elements without it being completely written in verse. The style was also simple, unlike many poetry books I have read. I really enjoyed the repetition of words and the use of lists of adjectives for description. I’m a big fan of books in this style, especially when they tell an actual story like this one does. However, there were multiple typos throughout the book that made it a little difficult to read. Because of the style of the book, sometimes it was hard to tell if the author was purposely making mistakes or if they were accidental. There were also quite a few spots where there were obvious typos. I felt like these mistakes took away from my enjoyment of the poetic style that the author wrote with.

Another downfall was that some parts were a little unclear and tended to jump around a bit. Some readers might enjoy this as it keeps you on your toes, but I wasn’t a big fan of it. I was a little lost a couple of times because the plot wasn’t always connected. I also was a bit disappointed in the overall content of the book. Pretty much everything that happened in Pearl of the Seas was mentioned in the blurb that I read before reviewing the book. I thought there would be at least a little more to it than that. I felt like I already knew what happened before I even read it.

Despite the fact that I thought the plot could have contained more than the blurb, I did enjoy the length of the story. I thought that the pacing was excellent. The chapters were a great length as was the overall book. I was never bored, and I was left wanting just a little bit more, which I’m assuming is the intention considering there is a sequel. I also really liked the way the author leads into the second book. I can’t say much more without giving out spoilers, but it was definitely a nice transition.

Another aspect that I really enjoyed was the inclusion of discussion questions at the end. I think that this would be a great book to use in the classroom with high school and middle school students. The questions really made me think about the book, and I would love to use them in an actual discussion.

I have to admit that was really torn on how to rate this book. If I could give the book 2.5 stars, I definitely would. I thought the style and story itself were great, but the plot could use a little more connection between the different parts. There were also a lot of typos that distracted me from enjoying the style of the book. I think that this book has a ton of potential, but it could use one more revision. As it currently stands, I’m going to give the book 2 out of 4 stars. I’d love to see a revised version of this book in the future.

Pearl of the sea
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
courtlt
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtlt.html

Post by courtlt »

Thank you for the review! I love books in the poem style, and this one sounds like it will be stellar after an edit.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

courtlt wrote:Thank you for the review! I love books in the poem style, and this one sounds like it will be stellar after an edit.
Thank you! I agree; it will be a great book after another edit.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising. I love books about 'magical journey' and such. Too bad, though, about the flaws of the book. It seems like this book needs improvement. Good job on the review.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising. I love books about 'magical journey' and such. Too bad, though, about the flaws of the book. It seems like this book needs improvement. Good job on the review.
Thank you! The premise was great! I loved the journey that they went on. It does just need some improvement.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! Sounds like this book is a diamond in the rough! The story seems unique and charming, and it's a shame that there are so many errors.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

LivreAmour217 wrote:Great review! Sounds like this book is a diamond in the rough! The story seems unique and charming, and it's a shame that there are so many errors.
Thank you! "Diamond in the rough" is a great way to describe this book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this book might be a little confusing for the readers for which it was intended. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like this book might be a little confusing for the readers for which it was intended. Thanks for the review!
That's what I thought when I was reading it. I was a little confused myself. Thank you for reading my review!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”