Official Review: In the Fullness of Time

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: In the Fullness of Time

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In the Fullness of Time" by Katherine P. Stillerman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the Fullness of Time by Katherine P. Stillerman is a historical novel that takes place in South Carolina in the early 1900’s. It is the sequel to Hattie’s Place and picks up seven years after the first book left off. Once she married Charles Barton, Hattie left her teaching job to raise his four boys and fulfill the duties of a prominent lawyer’s wife. Inspired by a Women’s Suffrage protest in Washington D.C., she becomes active in the fight for women’s voting rights.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author seamlessly weaves real-life historical events through a fictional plot full of relatable characters. Although I was fortunate to have read the first book, this current installment can easily be read as a standalone. The characters from the first book are introduced early on, complete with vivid backstories.

All of the ingredients are mixed well into an absorbing storyline - the routines of Southern small-town life, the reappearance of an old flame, a mystery side plot, and the grass-roots activism of the Suffrage movement. It's an interesting peek at an important period in history, along with a heartfelt story of love, friendship, and the power of uniting for a common cause.

There is a realistic theme about the main character having to reconcile the “two Hatties” – the independent, career gal she was before marriage and the person she is now, a married woman who gave up her teaching job to assume the expected responsibilities of being a lawyer’s wife and full-time stepmother to four boys. Hattie’s close friendship with her assertive sister-in-law Alice is one of the highlights of the book, as the older woman mentors and inspires her in so many ways.

The writing has an easy, natural flow, but there are abrupt time jumps that are a bit jarring. In the middle of a chapter, I would be taken by surprise that a few years had already passed. Here’s an example – “Pauline was so taken by him when she went with you and Earline to First Baptist in Greenville. She hasn’t stopped talking about him since, even though it’s been almost two years."

The PDF file I received appears to be a final draft, with notes and corrections in red in the text and right-hand column; there was also a dated label of “final draft” when I downloaded it. Hopefully, the published book is in final form and doesn’t contain these notations. I also noticed several errors scattered throughout the story.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a prime example of the phrase “getting lost in a good book.” I can easily recommend it to fans of historical fiction and anyone who just wants to curl up and read an engrossing story.

In the Fullness of Time
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sound like a fun read. I am glad you enjoyed it that much. I also like when all of the ingredients are mixed well into an storyline. Thank you on the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! I actually liked this book even more than the first book. It was a happy surprise since sequels are sometimes not that good.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Another great and well written review.? This doesn't seem like my kind-of read though.
Congratulations to the author on getting such a great review.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bookowlie, for another great review! I've been meaning to read Hattie's Place for a while now, so this is a nice reminder. :) I love when you can get lost in a book; it shows real talent from the author. Too bad about the errors, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Wasif Ahmed and Hsimone! Hsimone - although the first book is very good, the sequel (this book) can definitely be read as a standalone.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:Thanks Wasif Ahmed and Hsimone! Hsimone - although the first book is very good, the sequel (this book) can definitely be read as a standalone.
That's good to know! Out of curiosity, I went to look at it on Amazon and it doesn't seem to be there. I wonder if it's not officially published at this time?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

bookowlie wrote:Thanks Wasif Ahmed and Hsimone! Hsimone - although the first book is very good, the sequel (this book) can definitely be read as a standalone.
You are Welcome @bookowlie. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

hsimone wrote:
That's good to know! Out of curiosity, I went to look at it on Amazon and it doesn't seem to be there. I wonder if it's not officially published at this time?
I also didn't find it on Amazon when I tried to read the sample before selecting a book. I am assuming it hasn't been published yet.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This sounds like a good read. I don't know much about the suffrage movement in history. Guess I usually take it for granted that females can vote ?
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book with endearing character. As a self-declared feminist, I think I can easily relate to Hattie :) . Moreover, I love books in a series that can be read as standalone. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

[img][*][/img]
greenstripedgiraffe wrote:This sounds like a good read. I don't know much about the suffrage movement in history. Guess I usually take it for granted that females can vote ?
I also didn't know too much about this period in history. That's what I like about historical fiction You can be entertained with a good story and learn something at the same time.

-- 15 Feb 2017, 10:28 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a great book with endearing character. As a self-declared feminist, I think I can easily relate to Hattie :) . Moreover, I love books in a series that can be read as standalone. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.

Thanks Kimmyschemy! Hattie is certainly a memorable character.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

bookowlie wrote:
I also didn't know too much about this period in history. That's what I like about historical fiction You can be entertained with a good story and learn something at the same time.[/quote]

Yes, exactly!!! :techie-reference:
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:
bookowlie wrote:
I also didn't know too much about this period in history. That's what I like about historical fiction You can be entertained with a good story and learn something at the same time.
Yes, exactly!!! :techie-reference:[/quote]

In this case, I didn't know too much about the Women's Suffrage movement so the background info was a nice bonus. I felt like I was right there with the protest signs!
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Despite the supposed jarring moments, this book sounds like I wouldn't be able to put it down. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla

Return to “Historical Fiction”