New to the club

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Bri120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri120.html

New to the club

Post by Bri120 »

Hello everyone. I just joined the book club and I would be more than happy to hear you guys input on recommendations. I like fiction, mysteries, thrillers, dramas, action just good reads. My goal is to read 32 books this year. Let me know what you guys liked.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

:text-welcomewave:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Welcome!

I would suggest just about anything by Ted Dekker then. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

Glad to have you! I'd recommend Jodi Picoult. She tends to be a crowd please and has a little of every genre you mentioned in her books.
ccschmidt
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccschmidt.html

Post by ccschmidt »

If by any chance you haven't yet read the original Jason Bourne trilogy, I would definitely recommend them if you like action books! Otherwise, I completely agree with the earlier user who recommended Jodi Picoult. I have not yet found a book of hers that wasn't engrossing enough for me to read in a single sitting! I would also recommend "Ripper" by Isabel Allende (her writing is exquisite, and this was her first crime novel, so if you like thrillers you should definitely check it out). If you are interested in dark novels with an air of mystery, try Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian" and "The Swan Thieves". Hope these ideas help!
Book_Wyrm
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-wyrm.html

Post by Book_Wyrm »

Welcome! :D I'm pretty new here too. Do you like historical mysteries, or contemporary ones? I like the latter because there is no "send it to the lab!" option -- the person(s) solving the mystery has to base their conclusion on what they see, what they hear, and so on. If you think you might like this sub-genre, let me know and I'll recommend some authors.

Also have you ever read The Last Policeman trilogy? It's by Ben H. Winters. The narrator is a police officer in New Hampshire who's working under a very unusual deadline: there's an asteroid headed towards earth, and it's going to do to humanity what the last one did to the dinosaurs. The first book is six months away from the date of impact; the second one if about six weeks; and the final one takes us up to impact.
Missylucy
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Missylucy »

I am new to the club and hope that I won't be an outcast because of being an avid Kindle reader. I know that most clubs think of us e-readers as traitors, but besides the fact that I love my Kindle, I am a pretty good person, love to read and you might enjoy getting to know me. I hope so.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

I would recommend the Mysterious Benedict Society. Technically they are kid's books but I really enjoyed them. Also would recommend anything by Brandon Mull. If you need name then Fablehaven is his best finished series. Five Kingdoms is good too but the fifth book is still coming so I would read Fablehaven while you wait. Another good reason to read Fablehaven is that the sequel series Dragonwatch is coming out sometime this spring.If you plan on reading Five Kingdoms I would recommend reading Beyonders first. You don't necessarily have to read it but i felt that my prior knowledge of the beyonders world added to my enjoyment of the books. I would also recommend books by Pseudonymous Bosch. His Bad Books series is really good and directed to a slightly older audience than his Secret Series was. If you re planning on reading the Bad Books though I would recommend reading the Secret Series first. Like Beyonders you don't have to read it to enjoy the books but I think I enjoyed the books a lot more because I understood the callbacks and backstory.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find many great suggestions here and discover more new books along the way. I've enjoyed my time on these forums, and I'm sure you will too!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Missylucy
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Missylucy »

I am taking up the advice of papaya12 and downloaded the Mysterious Benedict Society. It just sounds quirky enough to be a really enjoyable read.
I have such a wide range of books I will read, anything but horror. Favorite authors are - Alice Hoffman, Dana Stabenow, Carolyn Hart, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Dorothy Howell, Robyn Carr, Susan Wittig Albert,
John Steinbeck, Robert Frost, and so on

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”