Would you take an immortality serum made from victims?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: Would you take an immortality serum made from victims?

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote:
Gravy wrote:
I don't see much of a difference (not including the circumstances of death) between this and organ donation, except the dead individuals permission.

There is a big difference as not only they had no say in the matter, they were tortured and maimed while alive.
I understand that. Basically, I'm just saying that, if it were me, I would hope that something good could come out of it. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote:
gali wrote:
Gravy wrote:
I don't see much of a difference (not including the circumstances of death) between this and organ donation, except the dead individuals permission.

There is a big difference as not only they had no say in the matter, they were tortured and maimed while alive.
I understand that. Basically, I'm just saying that, if it were me, I would hope that something good could come out of it. :tiphat:
I see. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Jasmine M Wardiya wrote:I think it's fine to say studies should be done within the constraints of ethics and that's definitely something that should be done going forward, but saying that after the fact isn't going to save the victims of the time. Should we disregard research because it wasn't done ethically? Yes, it's a moral outcry but throwing away anything that was discovered by that feels like wasting what they lost. I wouldn't like it, certainly, but if it could potentially help the people of today I'd probably still consider it.

In regards to immortality, I'd like to say no, but who knows how I'd feel having it physically in front of my face. But don't want immortality with a clear, rational mind, at least. Then again, I've read books where they don't until they're dying - and then immortality dances in front of their face. A very different situation then.
I think you make a really interesting point! My first instinct was to say no, I could, under no circumstances, be able to take an immortality serum made from victims. But I liked your thoughtful response and no I am torn. It would be hard to put aside the incredibly unethical way in which the serum was created, but at the same time, as you state, would it be worth disregarding the research completely if it could potentially help/heal others? Great comment :tiphat:
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

Nope - no interest in immortality for me!
The question is quite a conundrum though, look at all the experiments violating human rights in "the name of science", yet one wonders how advanced many of our modern medical procedures would be without certain experiments having taken place....
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Jax14 wrote:Nope - no interest in immortality for me!
The question is quite a conundrum though, look at all the experiments violating human rights in "the name of science", yet one wonders how advanced many of our modern medical procedures would be without certain experiments having taken place....
Exactly! Even today, many countries have a top secret base. What happens within these bases isn't known.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Definitely a tough one to answer. Overall, though, I don't know if I could live with the guilt of knowing that I am alive due to someone else's suffering.

Generally, people aren't meant to live forever and who's to say that those who are on their deathbeds want the serum if the cost is to live forever? Some may find an indefinite life lonely and depressing.

Excellent question!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

This is an interesting question. Maybe I would if I did know what it was made from, but did not know all of the details of how it was made.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I definitely wouldn't because I don't think it's right to take something that was made from the suffering of others. Even if I did want to be immortal, i wouldn't want to support something that involved the killing or torturing of others. Out of respect of those who suffered to make that immortality drug, I would not take the drug.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

This is an intelligent question and something I wondered about when Steven kept the serum. I'd have been too outraged to do that. And no, I wouldn't take something like that because I've accepted that death is part of the human experience and trying to circumvent it like that is very wrong.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have a response to the many posts about this coming from the suffering of others. I don't know that it's wrong to accept something that came from other's suffering. There were many advances that came from the internment camps in Nazi Germany. Would I wish my worst enemy to go through those camps so that I could gain something? Absolutely not. But, it is something that happened. Wouldn't their suffering and death be in vain if we didn't at least take advantage of the good that came from it?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

No. I would never want to be immortal. The fun part of life is molding it and handing it off to the next generation.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

No, the reason being, that I would think that they would want to drag me along with them. I know that's a very pessimistic way to look at things, but each to their own.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

No. I certainly would not. It sounds horrible. Life after death is what it is. The serum would prolong life but yet it is destroying you as a individual itself.
Between the Shelves
Currently Reading: Holding up the Universe
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-between-the-shelves.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Between the Shelves »

This presents such a difficult moral dilemma, which comes down to how badly you want immortality, honestly. Personally, it's not something I'd treasure as much, and to think that people had to suffer in order for me to get the serum makes my skin crawl. Definitely not for me!
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

gali wrote:

That is paramount to why it would be wrong to take it when it was made from people who had no choice in the matter. Really, though, the whole idea makes me nauseous so I probably wouldn't have gotten to that aspect in decision making.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”