Official Review: Vice Womb Age by M Colin Alston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Official Review: Vice Womb Age by M Colin Alston

Post by AA1495 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vice Womb Age" by M Colin Alston.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

‘Vice Womb Age’ by M Colin Alston belongs to the science fiction genre and is the first book in the series. At its heart, it is a story of greed, love, protection & revenge. A series of events are told from the perspectives of many characters, each with their own background stories. The book is set mainly in a sanctuary, wherein the order of the VICE WOMB (a religious organization) is followed.

Cornelius (Also called Danso) serves within a sanctuary & is waiting for the opportunity to kill his wife, Nissa. Nissa, along with her lover, had attempted to kill Danso, to be able to rise in power. Danso believes that she also killed his pupil & love, Gho’a. On hearing that Nissa is on her way to the sanctuary, Danso plans on taking his revenge, using the power of D.U.S.Ts. [he becomes aware of this technology towards the beginning of the book] However, those who are in power within the sanctuary plan on killing Danso first.

Bar has been given the responsibility of bringing pilgrims to the sanctuary safely. She has a shady past & views this task as an opportunity for redemption. However, the group is repeatedly attacked. Having seen the deaths of many innocent people, including children, she finds herself questioning her faith.

Ursula & Varinia, who are sisters, were brought to the sanctuary by their aunt. Ursula, who witnessed her father’s suffering (which was caused by her aunt) & has learnt about the traditions within the sanctuary, tries to warn her sister about their future if they remain in the sanctuary.

All these stories take place at the same time & overlap each other. While there are many characters in the book, each character is well developed & is realistic. All characters have their own strengths, flaws and motives. The book is told from the perspectives of many characters. While this made the plot confusing at times, it enabled me to understand the motives & emotions of all characters. I liked how the author brought out the personalities of characters through their reactions to events, rather than simply describing them.

Initially, the book made very little sense to me. A description of Danso being bullied (at the beginning of the book) was followed with a description of Bar leading the pilgrims & fighting against the attackers. I thought that the transition was very abrupt & random. Further, many characters & situations were introduced together. If I hadn’t been reviewing the book, I might have given it up at this point. However, towards the middle of the book, all the storylines come together beautifully. Having finished reading the book, I’m simply amazed at the author’s imagination.

What I didn’t like about the book, however, were the excessive descriptions. There were many disturbing scenes (and sexual scenes) which were described in detail, making the book appropriate only for mature readers. While some of these scenes were essential to the plot, I thought that some scenes were relatively insignificant and could have been briefer. These descriptions made the pace of the plot slow. According to me, the book could have been a page turner if it had a faster pace.

The book deals with many forms of human relationships & many aspects of human behaviour. It describes relationships between sisters, partners, and even strangers! The book describes a person’s greed for power and the tendency of people to question their faith when their expectations aren’t met. Although they aren’t conveyed directly, there are many important messages for readers in this book. This is what I liked best about the book.

Lastly, in terms of language, the book was easy to follow. Although I noticed a few minor grammatical errors, they did not interrupt my flow of reading. The book has been formatted well and overall, it seems to be professionally edited.

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. The book has a unique and interesting plot. Further, I liked how all the storylines came together towards the middle of the book. I would have placed this book in the ‘must-read’ category if it had fewer descriptions and a faster pace. Due to the mature content of the book, I would recommend it to adults who like science fiction and do not mind detailed descriptions.

Vice Womb Age
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Good review. It sounds a little too confusing and disturbing for me. I probably won't try it. Thanks though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

kandscreeley wrote:Good review. It sounds a little too confusing and disturbing for me. I probably won't try it. Thanks though.
I understand your point. Thank You for your comment! ?
capicu1740
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by capicu1740 »

VICE WOMB AGE
So far i am up to chapter 6 and i like this book a great deal! In today's truncated style of storytelling I am able to follow along from the prologue to present day with no problems whatsoever. The writer is able to paint a picture that I can see clearly in my mind's eye. I have never lost my place when he describes an action scene and am impressed with how vivid the action comes to life. He has multiple characters that a reader can easily place in the scenes he creates. I can agree with this reviewer that a few less descriptions may make the pace of the book pick up. However, remember that the author is giving you a world that is millions of years into the future with its own perspective, clothing, technology, religion, language and slang. Yes the book is for mature readers, however, this is the author's artistic expression so...hey...I can dig it. There are scenes and language that I would highly recommend for the 18 years of age and above science fiction readers. Aside from the mature nature of this work of art, I can say I am impressed for how detailed the author describes the D.U.S.T.S technology alone. I can not wait to see where the rest of this story goes! You wont be sorry for picking this book up. Happy reading to all!
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

capicu1740 wrote:VICE WOMB AGE
So far i am up to chapter 6 and i like this book a great deal! In today's truncated style of storytelling I am able to follow along from the prologue to present day with no problems whatsoever. The writer is able to paint a picture that I can see clearly in my mind's eye. I have never lost my place when he describes an action scene and am impressed with how vivid the action comes to life. He has multiple characters that a reader can easily place in the scenes he creates. I can agree with this reviewer that a few less descriptions may make the pace of the book pick up. However, remember that the author is giving you a world that is millions of years into the future with its own perspective, clothing, technology, religion, language and slang. Yes the book is for mature readers, however, this is the author's artistic expression so...hey...I can dig it. There are scenes and language that I would highly recommend for the 18 years of age and above science fiction readers. Aside from the mature nature of this work of art, I can say I am impressed for how detailed the author describes the D.U.S.T.S technology alone. I can not wait to see where the rest of this story goes! You wont be sorry for picking this book up. Happy reading to all!
I'm glad you like the book so far! It was nice to know your views on the book. Let me know your complete review once you finish reading the book!
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I don't really like graphic sexual scenes but I think that the way it looks at human relationships would be of interest for me. To bad about the graphic scenes. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
maillady720

Post by maillady720 »

I read this book and loved it.. It takes you to a place in the far future. I thought the author had a great imagination. I would definitely recommend this book, for adults. Hoping, and looking forward to the next book..
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Insightsintobooks wrote:I don't really like graphic sexual scenes but I think that the way it looks at human relationships would be of interest for me. To bad about the graphic scenes. Thanks for the review.
I hope you give the book a chance! Thank You for your comments :D

-- 08 Feb 2017, 11:01 --
maillady720 wrote:I read this book and loved it.. It takes you to a place in the far future. I thought the author had a great imagination. I would definitely recommend this book, for adults. Hoping, and looking forward to the next book..
I agree - the author has good imagination. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank You for your comments. :D
capicu1740

Post by capicu1740 »

Ok this is my review part 2. Forum lady. Here is the rest of my review. I said I would be back. I am the guy who had posted after reading Chapter 6. I have now finished reading this book and I cannot say enough good about it. I see how in the first half of the book the author sets up the futuristic world for the reader. I will admit that some of the sex scenes were unnerving to me at first. However, I can see that the author made the conscious decision to write the story with certain detail. I especially enjoyed this book in the second half. The story really kicks into high gear! We learn Danso's true motivation, his past and get a glimpse into his resolve. The flashbacks were juicy to read, where we also see how Danso was liberated as a child. I can say I enjoyed the main character's cleverness and action scenes more-so than the sex scenes, but I do understand that the detail of the sex scenes would be very important if this book was to become a live action story on the big or small screen. I also loved the 2 chapters, later in the book, where the author uses each chapter to give the point of view of two different characters, but describing the same event. The action and the imagination of the D.U.S.T.S. in this book is the best part for me. The ongoing berratement by Danso's inner voice was also a humorous way to break up tension and keep Danso focused when tasks seemed to get out of hand. The author paints the picture so well and i never found myself getting lost while definitely wanting more. Wow that was something else....I truly can not wait to see what comes next! Danso and G'oah. Cliffhanger. Literally!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This does sound like some interesting plot lines. However the "mature scenes" would make this book not for me. Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”