What Did You Learn?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

What Did You Learn?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

There are a number of historical facts in The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959), did you learn something while reading? Discuss the subject(s) you have learned.

Was there a topic that made you want research further? Why?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I wouldn't say that I really learned anything new from the book, but I did find the Jazz scene Steven finds himself in very interesting, as well as the mentions of Buddhism. Further, I was also interested in the experiments the Nazis performed on their prisoners. Though I am fascinated by this topic, I am also incredibly disturbed by it. I looked into other possible non-fiction books related to the matter, but I am not sure if it's really something I can read about.

I did find myself doing basic research about Buddhism while reading the book. I have learned about the basics of the religion in school and such, but I never really knew a lot of the intricacies of the religion; this book definitely piqued my interest about the subject.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for sharing, I actually wasn't aware of the Dachau Concentration Camp experiments. I obviously knew some of the horrendous conditions of these camps during WWII, but I never heard of experimenting on people. It didn't necessarily surprise me due to other things I learned throughout the years, but something new nonetheless.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I found it interesting and disturbing the different experiments they performed at the Dachau camp. Like you hsimone, I have read about some of the horrendous things done during that time, but I do not recall reading anything about the experimentation. It has been some time since I have studied or read anything about WWII so my curiosity has peaked about that as well as the history mentioned regarding China. I know little about China and I would love to learn more.
Madison Degraffenreid
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for your thoughts, mratdegraff91. I also don't know much about China, so that was also interesting to read about. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think I have read many books that takes place in China... :eusa-think: Maybe that's another reason I liked this book: The setting was unique.
Heidi

Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

Diary of an Immortal 1945 -1959. It is a good book. However I learned even though something may appear to be good. It is not always the case. It is not always good to make hasty decisions without thinking things out. There are consequences for every decision that we make. Evading death could still be a death sentence in the life that we live.

-- 08 Feb 2017, 21:47 --

I learned that the concentration camps were just as horrible as was told. The immortal formula was found by combat medic Steven Ronson after the liberation of the concentration camp in April of 1945.
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

I did find myself doing basic research about Buddhism while reading the book. I have learned about the basics of the religion in school and such, but I never really knew a lot of the intricacies of the religion
Same here MarisaRose, I learned some general information about Buddhism in school also. It would be interesting to learn more about Buddhism from a practical standpoint. Was always curious as to why millions of people choose Buddhism as a way of life? What draws them to it?
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I don't know that I learned anything truly new about history but it was interesting to see things that I knew happened and real people from the past included in a purely fictional story.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another part of history that I learned about and found myself researching is the 1937 Nanking Massacre in China. I honestly did not know the feud that the Japanese had with the Chinese, and this was one example. It was disturbing and unsettling to read about, but something that is important to not forget.
Heidi

SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

I was surprised, while reading the book, to realize just how little I had ever learned about the shift in China to communism, or really anything about Chairman Mao. That definitely piqued my curiosity.

I also learned a little about jazz history. I was familiar with the names of performers, but for me, they had always been about the music, and I knew little about them as people. I was surprised to realize they had all lived and performed in that same time period.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier

Post by Mollymae »

No, I can't say that I learned anything but I didn't pick the book for that reason. It was just a fun book to read and it presented some interesting twists on choices. But it is certainly not a wise choice for someone who prefers historically accurate books.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I think what I learned most is basically an exposure to Buddhist philosophies. I really know very little about that. I'm not interested in becoming a Buddhist, but learning more about China's history (religiously and politically) helps you better understand the Chinese mindset.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by dosenron877 »

As a result of reading this and in the off chance that I may write fiction in the future, I learned (and promise) to never offer such a trite ending.

The book was absolutely fascinating up to the last few pages. There was a broad brushstroke but interesting look at several historical events. Dachau and associated Nazi atrocities? They definitely happened but this book doesn't begin to approach the true horror. Same with the rape of Nanking. The depictions of the Dalai Lama conflicts, same thing.

The book remains very interesting and a worthwhile read. Readers have to begin somewhere. Hopefully, this book can inspire others to read further historical works. Further reading can rival Stephen King as far as horror.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

The topic that has been interesting for me is the civil war in China, especially Mao Tse Tung. I had never read or learnd anything about Chinese history, but looking at the communist party nowadays, athinking of the Chinese economy and my Chinese classmates in UK, I feel I can understand all that better than before, now many details make sense to me. I appreciate this about the book.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Rey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rey.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Rey »

I learned quite a deal about the culture of Buddhism. Not that I'm aiming at becoming a Buddist; I really think it's intriguing in some ways.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”