Official Review: Hidden In Plain Sight by Sharon D Moore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Hidden In Plain Sight by Sharon D Moore

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hidden In Plain Sight" by Sharon D Moore.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hidden in Plain Sight is book one in the Under the Shadow of the Almighty series by Sharon Moore. This first novel explores the shadowy background that can exist in the private lives of well-known people, particularly prominent religious men. In her book, Moore follows two families in North Carolina. Both fathers pastor a large church in North Carolina. It is obvious that both families have been blessed, as evidenced by prosperity in both church and family. However, this is where the similarities end. Bishop Collins’ church has grown to mega-church size. For all practical purposes, Bishop Collins is a humble man who dotes on his wife and children. Collins is constantly surprised at the prosperity he has been afforded. However, his outward life hides a secret sin committed when he was a youth. Will the bishop and his family survive if the secret is known publicly?

Although smaller than Bishop Collins’ church, the ministry of Bishop Stewart has also grown to an extraordinarily large size. While Bishop Collins is consistently revered, Bishop Stewart is surrounded by rumors of fraudulent doings. Despite this taint, Bishop Stewart’s church and family prosper. This outward prosperity hides a secret life lived behind closed doors in the Stewart home.

Most of the characters in this novel are vividly drawn. While the book starts slowly, the pace quickly picks up and the novel becomes a page-turner. I can’t say too much about each conflict introduced without giving spoilers, but several characters have issues that need to be resolved. Conflict is hinted at between Bishop Collins and one of his sons. The wild oats that Bishop Collins sowed when he was younger are about to come to the surface and possibly destroy his ministry. The reputation of Bishop Stewart also hangs in a very delicate balance. If Stewarts’ sins were to be revealed, he would also lose everything.

This book has much to love with relatable characters, secrets, revelations, and believable conversations. However, the one flaw that I found in the book is the lack of conclusions. Not even one of the conflicts comes to a resolution. When I read the last page, I was shocked to discover this was the end. The issues that had been simmering throughout the entire book had just about reached a boiling point when the book ended. I do realize that this is a first book in a series, but even at that I expect at least partial resolution to one or more major conflict(s).

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The writing style is easy to read and the editing is overall clean. I found only a small handful of errors that the spell-check did not catch, such as being “hold up” instead of “holed up.” I enjoyed reading Hidden in Plain Sight until the last page when I realized the story was far from being told in its entirety. If there had been at least one solid conclusion, I would have given the book at least a 3-star and possibly a full 4-star rating.

Hidden In Plain Sight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Sounds like an interesting premise for a series; too bad about the failure to conclude on any of the story lines. Great job on the review :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The book sounds very interesting. Too bad, though, about the absence of any resolution. I think that is common with book series these days. Great job on the review.
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

I really understand your frustration. I really dislike unresolved conflicts in my books. I'll have to pass on this one.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
greenstripedgiraffe

Thank you for your comments!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a book with a potential. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the lack of closure.
Thank you. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

Sounds interesting. While I get that it's a series I agree that it would be disappointing not to have closure to any of the main conflicts.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I love the premise of this series and well developed characters often mean an enjoyable read. Sounds like one I should read IF I'm prepared to continue with the series! Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
greenstripedgiraffe

Elaine5 wrote:I love the premise of this series and well developed characters often mean an enjoyable read. Sounds like one I should read IF I'm prepared to continue with the series! Thanks for your review.
You're welcome! Thank you for your comments - You're right about being willing to continue with the series. I really wanted to know more about what was going to happen :lol:

-- 03 Feb 2017, 08:56 --

Thank you Gali and Insightintobooks! I appreciate your comments! :)
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I hate when books in a series end in a complete cliffhanger. To me, the best series have books that can easily stand on their own while also being part of the overall saga. Great review!
Oanaread
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oanaread.html

Post by Oanaread »

Thank you for the honest review, after reading it I think I will not read the book after all, doesn't fit my kind of books. I do appreciate a good review nevertheless.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Whats with the authors nowadays? I feel highly irritated when a book has no cinclusions. Its as if you are completely drawn to a story and then at the end you don't know where did the story actually go.
But I must say your review is very good. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
greenstripedgiraffe

@Shreyoshi Sen; @Oanaread; @ashley_claire Thank you all for reading my review, and for your very kind words! I did find it frustrating that there was no real conclusion, but other than that, the author wrote nicely, and obviously drew me in :lol:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”