Official Review: The Bond by A.M. Grotticelli

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Official Review: The Bond by A.M. Grotticelli

Post by Elaine5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bond" by A.M. Grotticelli.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bond is the (auto)biographical story of Michael Grotticelli, his three biological siblings and five foster siblings. It is the story of their triumph over adversity and their struggle to find the kind of family love that many of us take for granted.

The author begins with the background stories of his parents and grandparents. This brings depth and perspective to his points of view throughout the book and reveals how and why he was placed in foster care. The book continues by following Michael through his time in an orphanage, his years in a foster home and his adult life. The focus is on his time as a foster son and the lasting relationships that formed between all of the siblings living with his foster parents, the Nelsons. It also includes all of their stories before he came to know them. As someone who really enjoys biographies, I loved reading about all of these people who played a part in the author's life and learning about how they all came to live under the same roof.

This is a book about real people, real lives and real feelings. As such, it is full of ups, downs and contradictions. Michael and his siblings yearned to be returned to their family, no matter how dysfunctional and destructive their parental relationships were. They held on to the dream of family love with their foster parents, even when pushed away. Michael has times of real happiness in his childhood amidst times of real distress and bitter disappointment. Events and people are described in thoughtful ways, allowing for a deep understanding of what was being experienced and felt. Non fiction can sometimes fall flat in this area, reading as a factual list of events, but that was not the case here. It's a reminder that everybody has a story and whether we like it or not, we are shaped in profound ways by our childhood experiences.

At times it was difficult to understand the author's point of view. I would find myself confused about whether or not the memory he was describing was a positive one. I would think "that doesn't sound so bad" or "there's nothing wrong with parenting in that way". His reflections in the final chapters reconciled all of this for me, making for a satisfying end. In fact, the final portion of the book includes the kind of personal reflection and self awareness that I most enjoy when reading non fiction. It was a nice balance to the background stories at the beginning, giving the reader an overall perspective of where Michael and his siblings came from, what they lived through and who they came to be.

I found that some of the phrasing was awkward and noticed a few grammatical errors including mixed verb tenses and repeated or misplaced words. For example "...but now she was now prone to ..." and "I'm not sure why not one of Cosmo's four brothers...". This did distract me from the content and occasionally interrupted my reading flow.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys biographies and particularly anyone who has a non traditional family structure or grew up in the foster system. The occasionally awkward wording and errors keep me from giving this book a perfect rating but if it were allowed, I would have held back only one half star. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Bond
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Elaine5's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a poignant and memorable book with a fitting title. Too bad, though, about the errors. Good job on the review.
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

poignant and memorable
I completely agree. I would not hesitate to recommend this book in spite of the errors. Thanks for your comments.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It sounds like a great story that just needs a little spit and polish to make it really shine. Great job on the review!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

It sounds like a great story that just needs a little spit and polish to make it really shine.
That's a great way to describe it. Thanks for your comments.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are quite welcome!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! It sounds like the book has a lot of heart. Glad you enjoyed the story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks bookowlie!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I love when the author allows you to really know the people in the story. I will be adding this book to my list! Thank you for such an incredible review.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Elaine5

Post by Elaine5 »

Great! I would like be to hear from you if you read it. Thanks for your comments.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”