Official Review: Badman by Bonz Buonopane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Badman by Bonz Buonopane

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Badman" by Bonz Buonopane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I love superhero stories. Between TV shows like Gotham and all the Marvel and DC movies, it's a heck of a time to be alive! While I was certainly aware of countless superhero comic books, what I was surprised by was the idea of a superhero book. Badman by Bonz Buonopane introduces the titular Badman, who is more of an antihero than a hero (like Deadpool or the Punisher) and far from super (he has no superpowers whatsoever), but he still scratches that comic itch quite nicely.

Bonz Buonopane (the name of both the author and the main character) has been sent to South Carolina to help his uncle with his business. This isn't just any ol' family business, though, it's the Mafia! Bonz may be low-level, but he's as smart as he is tough and skilled. While things had been peaceful in their little town, it suddenly seems like a new gang is in town and causing trouble. But why would someone want to battle for such a small town, and why does Bonz feel like it's all some kind of set up?

My favorite thing about Badman is the amount of witty wisdom Bonz imparts to the reader. Little gems of knowledge include things like never leaving free guns behind, which guns are disposable after a gunfight and to always carry a knife for when your gun inevitably jams or runs out of ammo. Because the book is written in first person, the way Bonz thinks/inner-monologues these things lends a very comic book feel to it all while making it feel like Bonz has taken us under his wing. At one point Bonz even casually explains his typical outfit, including his "$5 Winchester shooting googles from Walmart."

The book also sneaks plenty of humor and action in where it can. The name Badman, for example, came about from his sister doing a nasal impersonation of Michael Keaton's Batman saying "I'm Batman!" He also comments on his own inner monologuing and spews the occasional one-liner. The action reminded me very much of the movie Taken - it's straight-forward, realistic and gritty. It does get slightly gory at times, but it's certainly not enough to be gross even by my squeamish standards.

The book did, however, have some flaws. It goes off course frequently, and while this works to fill in additional history and character backgrounds it sometimes gets slightly confusing or just goes on a bit too long. It could also use a little editing - there are a few errors here and there, although in over 120 pages I can count the errors on both hands.

Overall, Badman (the character) reminds me a bit of Deadpool minus the superpowers and invulnerability if he had people to answer to. It was a very enjoyable read for the most part, and as such I'm giving it 3 out of 4 stars. This is also the first book in a series, and I'm psyched to see what else Badman will get himself into! Anyone who loves a good, twisty crime story or a good antihero should give it a read!

Badman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

Interesting take on a superhero. I like Superheroes to some degree, I always enjoyed their vigilante aspect. This Badman (Bonz) sounds like an amusing and fascinating character. You did very well with your review. Great job!
:oops: Sorry I had to repost, my cursor has been going bonkers and wiped out part of a sentence just as I posted.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Great review! I love superheroes too, especially the vigilante types (like the Green Arrow). I like that Bonz doesn't have powers, sometimes that can make it easier to relate to a super character. Will definitely give this book a go.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
Tammy Le
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Tammy Le »

Is Bonz really a sociopath? He shows signs of trust and loyalty. He has a weakness - a soft spot for underdogs. He's no heartless machine.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

This sounds like an interesting take on a hero book. Great job on the review!
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

Interesting twist that the author and the main character have the same name. So, in a way, this is a anti-hero autobiography. Interesting review, thank!.
Magickangel102
Currently Reading: The forgotten princess
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magickangel102.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Magickangel102 »

I would have never second glances this book before reading your review. You did an amazing job describing your perception If this book. I love a good antihero story. More then I care for a superhero movie I love publisher and deadpool. I will now be adding this to my shelf to be read. Thank you.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

Great review. This sounds lie an exciting book. I am a huge Marvel and DC fan. I didn't read much in the comics, though. I will have to give this book a try. Thanks for sharing!
Madison Degraffenreid
HannahGreendale
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahgreendale.html

Post by HannahGreendale »

A fair number of comics can be gritty or dark. I like that you've emphasized this book as being witty and funny amidst the action.
Richard Olupot
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Richard Olupot »

Oh that's a great taken am a great fan of heros for the they interest me a lot by what they do.that's so wonderful Bonz
Alex kimeu
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Alex kimeu »

Quite amazing on heroes. Great deeds of hero Bonz
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Now this one sounds quite realistic and I know someone who will love book like this. Actually, I myself might enjoy the character cause I am more into anti-heros than I authentical ones :)
Juliusjeffi3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Juliusjeffi3 »

Great review! I love superheroes too there is a twist with the this one which is good and adds to the thrill of reading.
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

I think it's a nice book, but am not just feeling it. I think the book is missing somethings
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Never leave a free gun behind is today's never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”