Official Review: Beyond Acts by Paul R. Finch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Beyond Acts by Paul R. Finch

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond Acts" by Paul R. Finch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beyond Acts, written by Paul R. Finch, is a theological book that offers new perspectives in New Testament history. The first edition was published thirteen years ago, and this current edition provides updates and additional information to this very important research. The book has twenty four chapters, fourteen appendices, a voluminous bibliography and two indices in addition to preface and introduction.

The book describes how the apostles and other members of 'The Way of Jesus' might have felt about the arrest and the subsequent crucifixion and death of Jesus as well as his resurrection. It gives a concise recount of the persecution of the followers of the ‘Way’ and the conversion of the Pharisee Saul, who eventually became Paul, one of the leading apostles and one of the authors of the New Testament. The author portrays how the leading apostles, who were so convinced that the second coming of Jesus would happen during their lifetimes, changed their minds and, upon the revelation of the ‘mystery’ to the Apostle Paul, prepared for the canonization of a body of literature for the future Church.

Basically, the book is meant to correct the misconceptions of other Bible scholars regarding the identity of the authors of the New Testament. By doing so, the author includes information that ordinary readers may find overwhelming. Among such information includes the role of Joseph of Arimathea in the life of Jesus Christ. Another surprising fact, at least for me, is the role of James the Just, brother of Jesus and leader of the Jerusalem Church after the ascension of Jesus. The book also offers a brief explanation on the origin of Catholicism and other controversies. The appendices offer even more pertinent information like the actual birth date of Jesus Christ and the identity of the magi. Needless to say, in proving the authorship of the New Testament, the author presents a collection of invaluable information for both present and future students of the Bible.

All in all, this is a very interesting, educative and enlightening book. However, though it is written in such a way that is easily understandable by laymen, this book is not easy to read. It is a profound and scholarly material that requires a reader’s full and undivided attention. Knowledge of the Bible and biblical characters will help the reader understand the topics and appreciate the extent of the author’s endeavor to produce such a valuable source of information.

Aside from a couple of typo errors (were so convince hat, was from of a priestly family) and the use of ‘onto’ in place of ‘on to’, I found the book very enjoyable.

I, therefore, give this book the rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to theology students, Bible scholars and ordinary readers who are simply interested in the lives and works of the apostles and other followers of Jesus Christ. Previous and in-depth knowledge of the Bible, however, may be required to fully appreciate and enjoy this extraordinary reading material.

Beyond Acts
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Good job on the review! That is a hefty book to read through. I totally get it that you would need some background knowledge of the Bible in order to truly appreciate the book.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Good job on the review! That is a hefty book to read through. I totally get it that you would need some background knowledge of the Bible in order to truly appreciate the book.
Thank you very much. I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless :)
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

Good job on the review. This book sounds very educational but also sounds like it would take me a while to get through.?
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

KAV wrote:Good job on the review. This book sounds very educational but also sounds like it would take me a while to get through.?
Thank you. It's not one for light reading but a great book nonetheless :)
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds like it contains a lot of interesting information, though, like you said, it is not a light read.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Sounds like it contains a lot of interesting information, though, like you said, it is not a light read.
Oh, yes it does, very interesting information which some readers may find very surprising :)
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Great review! I've always thought it would be interesting to read a book like
this one. I think I'd have to be a little more familiar with the bible to really enjoy it though.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

anneloretrujillo wrote:Great review! I've always thought it would be interesting to read a book like
this one. I think I'd have to be a little more familiar with the bible to really enjoy it though.
Thank you very much. Yes, familiarity with the Bible, especially the New Testament, is kind of required to fully enjoy this book :)
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

This is a great review. However this book seems very long and narrative. It would be very good for someone researching and studying the bible from a theologian point of view.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Tommie H Odom wrote:This is a great review. However this book seems very long and narrative. It would be very good for someone researching and studying the bible from a theologian point of view.
Thank you very much. Yes, it is quite longer than an average book and is recommended for a specific type of readers :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The book sounds really interesting for readers who want to go beyond the basic discussions of the Bible. I can see this being a good resource for people who belong to a weekly Bible study group.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

You created such an insightful and informative review. While I enjoy reading the Bible, I think this book would be a little too much for me. However, it sounds like it would be great for a bible study class or as a gift for a pastor.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! The book sounds really interesting for readers who want to go beyond the basic discussions of the Bible. I can see this being a good resource for people who belong to a weekly Bible study group.
Thank you very much. It is a very interesting and informative book. I am so happy I read it :)

-- 31 Jan 2017, 06:28 --
Kdonegan91 wrote:You created such an insightful and informative review. While I enjoy reading the Bible, I think this book would be a little too much for me. However, it sounds like it would be great for a bible study class or as a gift for a pastor.
Thank you. I can be a little overwhelming :) but a great book nonetheless :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”