Official Review: The Shack by Peter van Schie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Shack by Peter van Schie

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shack" by Peter van Schie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Shack by Peter Van Schie is about two middle aged friends who are reunited after years of no communication. While vacationing with his wife in Tasmania, Frank decides to seek out his old pal, Sean. After a great deal of searching, the two are finally reunited and Sean, the owner and sole resident of a desolate fishing shack, is eager to have Frank for company. A strange encounter with an old acquaintance makes the two realize their past actions have led to a string of deadly events. Frank and Sean are thrown into one crazy situation after another; a rogue detective, the Italian Mafia, and multiple assassination plots are all at the forefront of The Shack. Throughout the book, the shack stands as an ominous symbol where nothing good ever seems to take place.

For the most part, Frank and Sean are likeable characters and their actions, though ludicrous at times, never seem out of character. The most endearing qualities about the two related to their complete “averageness.” Both guys have experienced marital issues, professional bumps in the road, and are now just trying to enjoy life. These qualities not only made the protagonists likeable but also relatable. Even the bad guys in The Shack have appealing qualities. For example, one antagonist with a penchant for the Brothers Grimm constantly embellishes his speech with quotes from fairy tales.

In addition to the fun characters, The Shack also boasts a fast paced and suspenseful plot with many twists and turns. Through his skillful writing, the author does a great job connecting characters and events, making the story feel complete at the conclusion. The Shack contains the perfect mix of humor, action, and foreshadowing to keep the reader on the edge of their seat.

All praise aside, the foundation on which the story unfolds is nothing short of fantastic. The premise that an infidelity rumor, drunkenly swapped between two old friends years ago, would lead to multiple murders and other criminal events, was inconceivable. Further, the fact that Frank and Sean, a retired teacher and commercial fisherman, would actively put themselves in these treacherous situations alongside professional criminals, all while experiencing few repercussions, was far-fetched to say the least.

I give The Shack 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this book; it made me laugh and it kept me on the edge of my seat. That being said, the overall premise really is unbelievable and requires the reader’s suspension of disbelief in order to succeed. For that reason, I couldn’t give this book 4 stars. However, Van Schie has created a fun, easy read that lovers of general suspense thrillers and humorous crime dramas will greatly enjoy.

The Shack
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your explanation of a fast-pace and suspenseful plot grabbed me right away, adding to my 'need to read' list.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

peprica21 wrote:Thank you for your detailed review! Your explanation of a fast-pace and suspenseful plot grabbed me right away, adding to my 'need to read' list.
Thank you for the kind words! Hope you enjoy this one :)
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I have had this book recommended to so many times. I even have a copy, but I have yet to read it. I think that it's time to pull it out and actually do so. This was a very nice review.
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Acwoolet wrote:I have had this book recommended to so many times. I even have a copy, but I have yet to read it. I think that it's time to pull it out and actually do so. This was a very nice review.

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it; glad to hear so many others did!
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Sounds like a hilarious adventure! I'll give this a go. Thanks for a great review.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Guppy wrote:Sounds like a hilarious adventure! I'll give this a go. Thanks for a great review.
Thank you! There were definitely some laugh out loud moments. Enjoy :tiphat:
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and highly entertaining read. I think I can get past the unbelievable parts :) Great job on the review.
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting and highly entertaining read. I think I can get past the unbelievable parts :) Great job on the review.
Thanks! I hope you enjoy it if you give it a go :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”