Official Review: Impressions by Dan Groat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Official Review: Impressions by Dan Groat

Post by AA1495 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Impressions" by Dan Groat.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review: Impressions by Dan Groat

Impressions by Dan Groat is a collection of 55 short stories, each with a unique idea or message. Most stories begin with seemingly routine everyday activities, which later take unusual turns. The themes of the stories are varied. These include philosophical conversations, carefully planned crimes, forming and rekindling of relationships and human emotions. Most stories describe different forms of human relationships or human nature. While some stories show the value of friendship, some describe the bond between humans and their pets. Relationships with parents and grandparents are recurring themes in the book.

While some stories are barely a page long, some last for over five pages. However, each story, irrespective of its length and genre, will either surprise you or inspire you. For most stories, just when I thought that the plot was getting familiar, that I knew how it would end, there was one sentence or one dialogue at the very end, that changed my perspective about the entire story.

While I liked almost every story, three stories were my favorite. The first one dealt with a man’s OCD. The man was trying to use his OCD to his advantage, by being obsessed with making himself a better person. This story is told from his neighbor’s perspective. However, it was the ending of this book that surprised me. Without giving away any spoilers, I can say that this was one ending I wouldn’t have ever guessed.

The second story dealt with the sensitive topic of discrimination. I liked how the message was conveyed in the form of a simple story. The protagonist of this story is a young student, whose dialogues, in particular, were very powerful. Finally, the third story I loved was about two neighbors, Carl and Peter, who couldn’t stop fighting. When they didn’t have major issues to fight about, they would fight about very minor ones. This story was unique, had an unexpected ending and an element of humor in it.

The beauty of this book lies in its simplicity. The author hardly describes the characters and yet you can connect with them – with almost each one of them. What I liked best about the stories, without a doubt, were the endings. They’ll surprise you even when you’re mentally prepared for a surprise.

The only issue I had with this book was its editing. I found a few grammatical errors. While these were minor, they did interrupt my flow of reading. Further, while this could be an issue with my kindle edition, the formatting was inconsistent. The font style and size kept changing from chapter to chapter, which was distracting.

I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. All the stories are unique and very well written. Some will inspire the reader, while some will leave them laughing. Almost everyone will enjoy these stories, irrespective of their genre preferences. There is some mature content in this book and hence, I will recommend this book to adults who are looking for meaningful short stories to read.

Impressions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review! I like how this short story compilation touches upon many themes and topics that can be related to many. Also, I like how you mentioned that one line or dialogue had changed your perspective on the story completely; only a really author can do that! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

55 short stories, each with a unique idea or message?? Sounds good. Too bad that the few grammatical errors interrupted your flow of reading. Congratulations to the author for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

This sounds like a story collection I would really enjoy. Great review and congratulations to the author.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I find I'm curious as to the way the author describes the relationship between humans and their pets? There are so many different ways that people treat their pets. Some like family, some like their children, some like more demanding stuffed animals :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

A collection of 55 stories and a perfect 4/4 rating makes IMPRESSIONS by Dan Groat a perfect read. Looking forward. Congrats on being the BOTD. :)
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I'm looking forward to making this purchase! It is nice to have short stories to read when you just aren't in the mood for a long novel. Great review! I really like the selection of books for BOTD lately!!!
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I think this collection of short stories sounds wonderful. I think I'd probably enjoy the more philosophical stories but like that each of them have a different theme. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review! I like how this short story compilation touches upon many themes and topics that can be related to many. Also, I like how you mentioned that one line or dialogue had changed your perspective on the story completely; only a really author can do that! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Thank You for the comment. I hope you give this book a chance! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:05 --
gali wrote:55 short stories, each with a unique idea or message?? Sounds good. Too bad that the few grammatical errors interrupted your flow of reading. Congratulations to the author for the great review!
It was a good collection of stories. I hope you give it a chance. Thank You for your comment! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:06 --
Elaine5 wrote:This sounds like a story collection I would really enjoy. Great review and congratulations to the author.
I think you'll enjoy it! Hope you read it when you can! Thank You for your comment! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:08 --
Gravy wrote:I find I'm curious as to the way the author describes the relationship between humans and their pets? There are so many different ways that people treat their pets. Some like family, some like their children, some like more demanding stuffed animals :lol:
Haha, all the people treat their pets well! Those stories were nice! I hope you read the book if you can. Thank You for your comment! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:08 --
uk8971 wrote:A collection of 55 stories and a perfect 4/4 rating makes IMPRESSIONS by Dan Groat a perfect read. Looking forward. Congrats on being the BOTD. :)
I hope you give the book a chance! Thank You for your comment! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:10 --
tarafarah7 wrote:I'm looking forward to making this purchase! It is nice to have short stories to read when you just aren't in the mood for a long novel. Great review! I really like the selection of books for BOTD lately!!!
I agree. It's nice to have short stories to read. I hope you like this book. Do let me know how you like it when you finish reading it. Thank You for your comment! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:11 --
Insightsintobooks wrote:I think this collection of short stories sounds wonderful. I think I'd probably enjoy the more philosophical stories but like that each of them have a different theme. Thank you for the review.
I liked those stories, I think you will too. I hope you give this book a chance! Thank You for your comment! ☺
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Nice review! Glad to hear you enjoyed them!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

klbradley wrote:Nice review! Glad to hear you enjoyed them!
I did! Thank You so much for your comment! :D
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

This sounds like a really nice book. I love when stories manage to surprise me, especially since these days they're hard to come by. Great review!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great review. I did purchase this book to add to my 2017 reading list.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great review! I can't wait to read more. I absolutely love books like this. I find it amazing how the stories have very little character detail but yet the reader connects with the character.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! I love the idea of so many short stories in one place especially when they turn out to have unexpected endings. Congrats to the author on such a wonderful review. I will definitely be purchasing this book. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”