Official Review: Daddy 3.0 by Rob Armstrong

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Daddy 3.0 by Rob Armstrong

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daddy 3.0" by Rob Armstrong.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Daddy 3.0: A Comedy of Errors by Rob Armstrong is a humorous novel about a New York City transplant’s experiences as Mr. Mom to his three-year-old twin daughters. Nick’s wife Liz has a surgical fellowship with long hours. After losing his tech job, Nick becomes the primary caregiver to his children, at least for the foreseeable future. Add a group of stay-at-home moms to the mix and you have the recipe for a first-rate comedy.

The highlights here are the author’s easygoing, conversational writing style and intelligent wit. I felt like the main character was an old friend chatting with me over coffee about the recent changes in his life - the move from San Francisco and being a stay-at-home dad. I quickly became absorbed in his daily challenges of taking care of the twins with little to no help from his wife.

Nick is a likable, nuanced character who finds himself in the unlikely position of navigating the waters of full-time childcare. It doesn’t help that his daughters Claire and Maude are often unruly in public. The twins’ antics in restaurants are vividly written, as plates go flying and a turtle is removed from a restaurant’s aquarium. I did find it a little unrealistic that financially-strapped Nick continued to dine out with his daughters so frequently, particularly knowing how they acted.

Liz is dismissive toward her husband and doesn’t seem interested in taking responsibility for her daughters except for the easy tasks. If the girls are disruptive at a restaurant in her presence, Liz would scold Nick as if he is not doing his “job.” In fact, she finds fault with pretty much everything he does, as does her rude, sarcastic family when they visit for Thanksgiving. I absolutely could not stand Liz and would have liked her to be less one-dimensional. Also, the use of epithets for the stay-at-home moms is a little annoying – for example, Supermom, Good Heart, Lion Tamer, and Nifty-Fifty Wife. It feels a little contrived and gives these supporting characters an impersonal feel.

The pacing is slow with overly detailed descriptions. The author paints a clear picture of a man adjusting to a different lifestyle and keeping his children busy on a shoestring budget. However, there is an overabundance of play-by-play action and dialogue in many scenes. I became impatient for the plot to move forward, even when the vignettes were interesting.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The writing sparkles and there are more than a few laugh-out-loud moments. There are a handful of technical errors (missing words, homophones, missing/extra apostrophes), although nothing that is too distracting. Fans of contemporary fiction would enjoy this story. I look forward to reading more books by this debut author.

Daddy 3.0
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a cute book. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the slow pace.

Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! It was odd - the writing was really good and the storyline was interesting. It's just that too many of the scenes went on too long.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thank you for another insightful review, Bookowlie! I like the premise of this book, but I'm concerned about the drawn-out pace of the writing. I might give this one a chance, but there's a possibility that I'll end up not finishing it.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Livre! It's hard to explain the pacing. I can't say that the writing dragged. Instead, it was more like the writing had a nice flow, but the scenes went on too long.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Comedy is a genre i enjoy reading. I may give this book a try.
A great and well written review.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Wasif! The book was very enjoyable even though I wanted to slap the wife and her family a few times. They were so rude and annoying!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Great review!
As a parent, I always enjoy hearing the funny tales that others share about their children. I'm sure this is one I would enjoy! My son is always entertaining, and his five-year-old sense of humor is the best! I'm looking foward to reading this one!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks! The kids' antics in the story are sometimes funny, the biggest laughs come from the interactions between the adults. :)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote:Thanks Wasif! The book was very enjoyable even though I wanted to slap the wife and her family a few times. They were so rude and annoying!
I love it when characters make me want to interact with them. In some ways, it makes them more real.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I haven't read a comedy in a while ... sounds like this might not be the one to read but I enjoyed your review.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Elaine5 and CatintheHat for the nice feedback. :)
CatintheHat, the wife and her family seemed so over the top with their sarcastic, rude comments. I wish they would have been a little more appreciative of everything Nick did.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great review, bookowlie! I don't think I've read a Mr. Mom story before, but it seems like a good comedy. I can understand that if his girls are unruly in public, then it would be unrealistic that Nick would take them out often. Too bad about the pacing and errors, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

This book is probably not for me. Kids humorous antics might be fun but not combined with a somewhat slow pace and contemporary setting. I can't really relate to single dads. So I'm gonna pass on this one. Great rewiev though.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Liz's character sounds absolutely flat and dreadful, but the idea of a dad among stay-at-homes sounds like it could be great fun! Can you tell me why he's called Daddy 3.0 instead of 2.0, or should I read the book to find out?
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”