Official Review: Northdale by Robert L. Nelis

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Northdale by Robert L. Nelis

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Northdale" by Robert L. Nelis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Northdale by Robert Nelis is a fictitious historical saga depicting the forgotten realm of Northdale, a remote English earldom, during its heyday. Rupert, a recently appointed Knight, is forced into the position of Sheriff of Northdale for a period of four years due to a childish indiscretion. Northdale is not known for success as intermittent Viking raids plague the land. These raids are brutal on Northdale’s people; murder, rape, and kidnap are just a few of the crimes the Viking raiders commit during the attacks. With a positive attitude, Rupert and his unorthodox wife, Sara, set out to implement unconventional methods to stop the perilous Viking attacks and turn Northdale into a prosperous realm.

Set in the Middle Ages, Northdale explores the boundaries of gender norms during a time period when women experienced significantly fewer rights and employment and educational opportunities than their male counterparts. The author very favorably depicts women throughout the story, which is rather unusual for a book of this time period. The female characters were particularly enjoyable as they were strong willed and defied gender stereotypes. The depiction of women in Northdale strengthened the story and set it apart from other books of a similar caliber.

The novel is fast paced and the story moves quickly. However, some parts felt rushed. I would have liked if the author went into greater detail about certain aspects of Sara and Rupert’s life together in Northdale. For example, the birth of their first child is mentioned only in passing, as the author quickly moves through large periods of time. More time spent on events like this would have created a stronger emotional connection to the characters.

Grammatical errors are apparent throughout Northdale, though they do not take away from the reading experience. Errors mostly include incorrect word choice (using “of” when “as” is meant) and simple misspellings. Other than the editorial mishaps, my main criticism of Northdale relates to the author’s writing style. Throughout the novel, the writing is rather dry; it wasn’t really engaging or lively. The author did a lot of telling instead of showing. For example, when Rupert first arrives at Northdale as the new Sheriff, he calls a meeting of Northdale’s people to better understand their concerns about the land. The author states the meeting was held and then lists the concerns of the people. This scene would have been much more impactful and engaging if the reader could have heard the voices of the people of Northdale and the despair they felt instead of just reading facts.

Although the plot of Northdale was incredibly engaging, the writing lacked luster and thus I rate Northdale 3 out of 4 stars. If the writing style had better conveyed emotion and there had been fewer editorial issues, I would have gladly given Northdale 4 stars. Since I was still captivated by this novel, I recommend this book to fans of historical fiction, especially focusing on the Middle Ages. Additionally, those who enjoy strong female characters will surely like this book.

Northdale
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

For a self-declared feminist, I find it very interesting. Too bad, though, about the writing style. Great job on the review.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:For a self-declared feminist, I find it very interesting. Too bad, though, about the writing style. Great job on the review.
Thank you :)
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I have been thinking about reading this book. I think it sounds interesting especially with the female characters. I'm not sure if I could get over the writing style though. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Insightsintobooks wrote:I have been thinking about reading this book. I think it sounds interesting especially with the female characters. I'm not sure if I could get over the writing style though. Thank you for the review.
I think Amazon provides a free sample; it's definitely worth at least giving it a try! There were many good aspects of the book :)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that explores the boundaries of gender norms, has strong female characters, and depicts the forgotten realm of Northdale? Sounds fascinating. Too bad about the writing style and the grammatical errors. Hopefully, the errors were fixed by now. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

Yes, the people of Northdale needed a voice, but it appeared as if the women characters were willing to speak up or act out for them somewhat (the circumstances forced them to be more determined I guess).
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I like that the author focused on strong women which is unusual for this type of stories. Plot seems interesting despite the lack of emotion. I guess improving that would've made the book better. Thanks for the honest review.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the great review! A fast-paced read with strong female characters and knights set in the Middle Ages sounds like a fun read! Too bad about all the errors you encountered. Hopefully, they are fixed by now. Thank you again for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's sad that the writing was lackluster, but it definitely sounds interesting if you are into the middle ages. Thanks for the review. I'm still uncertain about this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I love historical fiction, and the fact that the author has strong female characters is awesome. However, due to your notes about th writing style, I will pass on this one. Thanks for the honest review and congrats to the author for making BOTD!
Nina Butler
Currently Reading: rubies
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-butler.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Nina Butler »

It reminds me of other books I've read. I don't know if I would read this because of the dryness of the book. I would read about 20 pages, and if it hasn't hooked me, then I would put it down. Thank you for taking time out to review this book for us. Too bad the story is lackluster. I don't like it when authors don't give the right details. It is almost if they rushed to write it, so they could publish it. As a writer, you should always show not tell because it makes for a better story.
Last edited by Nina Butler on 09 Jun 2017, 09:16, edited 2 times in total.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Naz2017
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Naz2017 »

The female character in this story is very strong that's why I just love to read this book and I would refer other people also to read this book and I am sure strong females will love it
racer
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by racer »

This is a little different genre than what I usually read. But after reading the review I will read it very soon. I like the tales of Knights and Damsels from the middle ages..
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Truly a unique and interesting sounding book! I like the female character idea!
Last edited by James Craft on 09 Jun 2017, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane

Return to “Historical Fiction”