Official Review: Vacation To Graceland by Phillip Cornell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: Vacation To Graceland by Phillip Cornell

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vacation To Graceland" by Phillip Cornell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vacation to Graceland is a short and humorous novel written by Philip Cornell. The book is written in first person and is about how a family decides to go on a trip to Memphis Tennessee from St. Louis for a family reunion.

This family isn't a normal one. Everyone has issues and problems of their own. The protagonist is young and his main motive in life is climbing up the career ladder. So, getting a leave from work is one of the first obstacles he faces and (not surprisingly), this is dealt with in a humorous manner.

The rest of the characters also play a vital role towards this novel's humour. The protagonist's mother is a self centred widow and one of those people with whom you can never win an argument with. His grandmother is on dialysis and does whatever she likes irrespective of what people tell her. The protagonist's sister, Crissy, is apparently the only normal character out of the six. Her two children- a boy and a girl never get along and always find something to fight over. You can imagine what it will be like to stuff these six people into a five seater sedan for about half a dozen hours. I can't tell you any more about the plot as that would mean spoiling the book's humour.

The novel's humour is good, it got me laughing out loud a few times while, in other times, I was giggling to myself or thanking god that I didn't have a family like this. The book also seemed professionally edited and I couldn't spot any grammatical errors or mistakes.

There is almost no suspense in this novel. So, if you are one of those avid dystopian readers who love suspense, then this isn't for you. One thing that I disliked about this book is about how the author has mentioned in the synopsis of the novel that the trip turned out to be an unforgettable experience for the family through which their blood bond strengthened. This definitely didn't happen. The author has written the book in such a way that it seemed like the protagonist had predicted that this all was going to happen if they went on a trip together. Also, he seemed really relieved when he reached home safely.

I would have rated this book 3.5 stars out of 4 if I could, but, I strongly believe that it deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This book can be read by people of all ages and the humour, like I mentioned in the fifth paragraph, was really good. I was deducting 0.5 stars because of the synopsis thing I mentioned in the previous paragraph. Overall, if you have a good taste in humour then this is a book you should definitely try.

Vacation To Graceland
View: on Bookshelves

Like Wasif Ahmed's review? Post a comment saying so!
sm1234
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sm1234.html

Post by sm1234 »

Nice review. This seems like a book I might enjoy as I have a good sense of humour. *Smiles* :)
Congratulations to the author for getting such a great review.
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

sm1234 wrote:Nice review. This seems like a book I might enjoy as I have a good sense of humour. *Smiles* :)
Congratulations to the author for getting such a great review.
Thanks @sm1234. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, interesting review! I like both funny books and non-fiction, so this one sounds like something I might enjoy.

"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, interesting review! I like both funny books and non-fiction, so this one sounds like something I might enjoy.

Definitely @bookowlie. And thanks. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

You make it sound really appealing! I'll go check it out on Amazon to see if this is something I want to follow up with, but it sounds fantastic!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

James Craft wrote:You make it sound really appealing! I'll go check it out on Amazon to see if this is something I want to follow up with, but it sounds fantastic!
Definitely @James Craft. It really was great. Thanks! :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a hilarious trip, though I am not sure it is for me. Too bad that the blood bond didn't strengthen despite what was said on the synopsis. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

This sounds like a fun, quick read that is worth a few laughs. Thanks for the review!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

After reading your review, I'm also glad these people aren't my family - sounds like quite the trip with several strong personalities! It's a bit too bad that this read lacks action/suspense, but I'm glad the laugh-out-loud moments made up for it! Thank you for sharing and congratulations to the author for receiving a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Six people in a five seater car? I can just imagine, though I don't want to, lol.
Very nice review!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a pretty cute novel. I love books that make me laugh out loud. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I don't read many humorous books, but maybe I should check this one out. Awesome review, seems like a nice, light read. :)
JenJenJen
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjenjen.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by JenJenJen »

I read the sample chapter, and was immediately drawn into the characters. Now this pleasant review has me moving this title AND author up to the front of my reading list. It appears to be some light relief from dystopia, but not so light as to be air-headed!

J
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. This sounds like just the type of book I enjoy a funny story about a dysfunctional family and their trip to Memphis. Cant wait to read it and congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”