The Hunger Games Series

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Debbietx42
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbietx42.html

The Hunger Games Series

Post by Debbietx42 »

Ok I know I'm late to the party but when I seen this forum I had to share my thoughts. I read all of The Hunger Games books right before the 1st movie came out an let me say I absolutely loved them! So when I heard about the movie coming out I couldn't wait. Well I should have I was so disappointed it was nothing like the book. I felt they left out key parts an glossed over others. Needless to say I have not seen an will not see any of the rest.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I am opposite currently I have only seen the films (and love them) and yet to read the books. I plan to as I have heard such good things. I am hoping this does not stop me liking the films. Either way I will try and keep them separate if I discover the books are 1000000% better and pretend the films are something else entirely lol
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Alexander Watson
Currently Reading: The Prince
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-watson.html

Post by Alexander Watson »

The books are great and they are easy to get into, probably due to the fact that the book is easy to read.
It seems to be targeting a younger audience, hence why the linguistics are a lot simpler.
I personally liked the films.. I agree that they have cut out plenty of important points and events from the book, maybe this was to keep the movies shorter.
However, the author and the director have done brilliantly
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Unfortunately, cutting out a lot of the book is commonplace in movie adaptations. Think about how long it takes to just read a book. If everything was portrayed the movie would be several hours long. There has been a recent trend in making two part movies to help compensate for that problem. Then audiences complain about the cliffhanger and the wait.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Alexander Watson
Currently Reading: The Prince
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-watson.html

Post by Alexander Watson »

Yeah your right! I suppose its the best interest to try make the film as entertaining as possible while conveying the story of the original book.
The Hobbit is a great example for the separating of a story, the cliffhangers were almost unbearable compared to the hunger games but like you say it compensates for the mass of events missed out by singular films
Srosemautner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srosemautner.html

Post by Srosemautner »

I was interested in reading the series after I saw the first movie and read all three before seeing the second and third. I found both mediums to be quite enjoyable, but the most notable thing from the books in my opinion was how simplified the story seemed in comparison to the action packed films. The book moves the plot right along in an almost simplistic way that I was not expecting. In other words I was surprised by the lack of build up and dialogue for certain scenes while reading the book. Paper to screen almost seemed effortless.
Jaycie10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaycie10.html

Post by Jaycie10 »

I agree with you! There's nothing worse than watching a movie and being sad at the end because it didn't compete with the book whatsoever. It makes me want to hug the author and tell them I'm sorry that society will watch the movie and not know how much amazingness they are missing without reading the book first.
Micheal mathew

Post by Micheal mathew »

Hunger games series was really great it's a shame that they couldn't do total justice to the novel.l felt like the movie ended too soon .
Alice8992
Currently Reading: All the Stars in the Heavens
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice8992.html

Post by Alice8992 »

I read the Hunger Games series before the films came out and I was quire surprised with how good they were!

The books are amazing and I could read them all again tomorrow because I loved being in that world!
The films pleasantly surprised me with how closely they stuck to all of the books and how brilliant everything looked.

The final film is the most dramatic, obviously. And without giving spoilers, the ending was just as traumatic and perfect as it was in the book.

So, well done Hunger Games, you did well!
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I am hearing how very simple the books are which worries me...I found the films to be quite in depth and I completely understood what was happening despite not yet reading the books. Unlike The Mortal Instrument film where you really would have needed knowledge of the books to understand what the Clave was and what Parabatai meant and how deep the bond goes.

With the Hunger Game films I found them full of detail and connected with the main characters almost instantly.

I hope in a way the books are not too simple?
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Alice8992
Currently Reading: All the Stars in the Heavens
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice8992.html

Post by Alice8992 »

The Hunger Games are simple to read but not in a bad way if that makes sense? It's an easy read but not so easy that you need to have the TV on in the background. The books are good and are in depth but are an easy read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

After seeing the first movie, I was inspired to go out and read the series myself. I think that the first movie is the best at keeping to the book, but maybe that's just because I watched the movie first. The second and third each had their own merits. I thought that the movies did a fairly good job keeping in line with the original books knowing that there are limitations. I did enjoy the books better as I thought that they offered a deeper view of the characters and motivations.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Vickyoreo86

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

Alice8992 wrote:The Hunger Games are simple to read but not in a bad way if that makes sense? It's an easy read but not so easy that you need to have the TV on in the background. The books are good and are in depth but are an easy read.

I understand. I have been wanting to read them for some time now. Even before the films were released but somehow they keep getting bumped back on my list. I will still try them out. I guess sometimes simple is not bad. I have read others like that and enjoyed them.

Thank you :) :techie-studyingbrown:
― David Gemmell
Debbietx42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbietx42.html

Post by Debbietx42 »

Thanks guys for all your good points. I just feel too many important parts of the book were left out that shouldn't have been an less important ones in
Vickyoreo86

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

Debbietx42 wrote:Thanks guys for all your good points. I just feel too many important parts of the book were left out that shouldn't have been an less important ones in

I am going to read them because I want to be able to talk about those important parts with you :) It now frustrates me that I don't know what was missing :)

:D :P
― David Gemmell

Return to “Films and Books”