What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
creativemistif1987
Currently Reading: Melhara
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creativemistif1987.html

Re: What are your thoughts about vampire stories?

Post by creativemistif1987 »

I do enjoy them but I do also think the stories are over worked at times and there are too many out there. it seems as though some people just rush the books out
Traycee An
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-traycee-an.html

Post by Traycee An »

Vamp books will always be in style. Even if its the same plot 20 different ways i genuinely believe the book will always be picked up by someone.
Regarding the pov's that are untouched, Id maybe like to see a fresh take on a story based on a Vamp that turned another rather than the whole " Im the new vamp". Ya know like being responsible for how a new vamp turns out. Or maybe The pov of a mother, teacher, someone superior than the vampire dealing with the new information of learning theirr child, student is a suoernatual being. I dont personally read vampire stories too often but i do think main characters who are not the actual vamp are more interesting.
1slbolden

Post by 1slbolden »

I must say that I too have read my share of vampire books. I'm still open to reading them as long as it's written well. Any topic can be written throughout time it's just a matter of keeping it fresh, well written, and thought provoking (if that's possible with fictional characters!).
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I've read a number of vampire stories and considering that I really like YA genre, I think it has become too rampant for my liking. Every now and then, though, I get to read books on vampires that were written quite well. The authors introduce them in a unique way. Nightlord is one example. Vampire Academy was also refreshing. All in all, I'd give a book a try as long as they look promising and entertaining for me.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
rcoursey00

Post by rcoursey00 »

The vampire genre has been around a long time and I don doubt that they will live on forever (pun intended). I definitely went through a team vampire phase reading titles that ranged from the classic Dracula to the Twilight saga. However when I got my hands on Richelle Meads Vampire Academy books I fell so deeply in love with her take on the vampire world that I could not stand to read anymore from the genre. In fact I am rereading this particular series for the hundredth time!
Sarahmarie12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarie12.html

Post by Sarahmarie12 »

I think all things supernatural are something we will always be drawn to. Originally the myth of vampires, like any other supernatural creature, was created to explain or analyze something in the natural world. Though times change our need to tell stories through powerful and sometimes scary creatures do not. I think that the vampire has just adjusted with what we are trying to understand.
Wilhelmenia
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Wilhelmenia »

Vampire stories are a way to imagine yourself in another time and place. I love reading and immortal stories are my favorite. Christine Feehan, Maggie Shayne, Kim Harrison, and SherriLyn Kenyon are just some of my authors I love to read, they have a way of pulling you into the story. Happy Reading Everyone!
CalliBella89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callibella89.html

Post by CalliBella89 »

I've read quite a few vampire stories and one of the things I like is how while still being somewhat the same the authors vary on certain things. such as whether or not the vampires they write about can go out in sunlight, or what they may feed and live off of. the variation is what makes them so much fun to read
1337gollum
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1337gollum.html

Post by 1337gollum »

I have not read a great deal of vampire literature, but I believe that the idea is oversaturated. Seemingly, a majority is young adult fiction. I think that with creativity, a novel with vampire elements can be done well, which applies to any genre. I think that the cliche is in the writers themselves. They want to write inoffensive content that appeals to the majority. This is probably why when you hear vampire you think of romance and hunting books. So many things have been done now, that there seems to be many shades of what is unique vs taking scraps of what hasn't been done or what is fantasy vs absurdist. At this point it is about the story having a certain formula that makes it stand out. I think that if a story had some allegorical vampire theme, but did not have typical cookie cutter fantasy aspects, it could be a worthwhile read.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I love fantasy books so vampire stories pop up a lot. I enjoy reading them when they're written well and put a new spin on things. I think the vampires written by Patricia Briggs are super interesting. Kresley Cole also does a great job with her romantic vampires. Vampires can be done poorly, however, if you just stick to stereotypes and go no further with character development and backstory.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Shaikhspear
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaikhspear.html

Post by Shaikhspear »

They can be interesting but I have never read an interesting one.
Retro61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-retro61.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Retro61 »

I'm afraid I've never read a story about vampires. I know there are many and I enjoy watching such things on TV. However, I've never had the desire to read a story of these supernatural beings. It is strange because I never realised that until you asked the question. I loved watching Bram Stoker's Dracula on the big screen and have seen so many adaptations. I liked True Blood etc. I've just never read a fictional story about vampires yet. :o
Sarah masad
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-masad.html

Post by Sarah masad »

If its not twilight i can give them a shot
Darlene Reilley

Post by Darlene Reilley »

There are some vampire stories I love and others I liked, but see differently now. Confession...I loved Twilight when it first came out. But when I compared it to the other novels I read, I found it lacking. Since then, I reread Anne Rice's novels and Toni Morrison's and find that the vampire stories I love best have characters that are complex and work to impact their futures. I love the vampires that burn...not the vampires that sparkle.
royya7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-royya7.html

Post by royya7 »

I love to read and watch about vampires, they give a new dimension to life as basically night is day and day is night for vampires. and for me most appealing part of vampires is the romantic nature.

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”