Official Review: Raging Falcon by Stephen Perkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Official Review: Raging Falcon by Stephen Perkins

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raging Falcon" by Stephen Perkins.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raging Falcon by Stephen Perkins is a political thriller novel set in 2063.

Jim Keogh has been incarcerated for most of his life due to false murder charges. Now there is a political battle to put him on the unsustainable list and end his life. On his last night to live, the prison guards beg Old Jim to tell them his story. It is a story involving his father’s political schemings and dealings with terrorism and black magic. His father is a ruthless man who has little to do with his family. Something changes when Jim is a teenager. All of a sudden his father is meddling in his life, making decisions that will impact Jim forever.

This book is not anything like what I expected. Because it is listed as a young adult novel and set in the future, I was expecting a typical young adult dystopian story. It does not fit either of those categories well. First of all, it is both violently and sexually graphic. There are numerous sex scandals, murders, and instances of rape. Additionally, there is liberal use of strong language with the F-word being one of the more tame words used. All of this makes the book highly unsuitable for the young adult crowd. Furthermore, even though the story starts out in 2063, the majority of it is focused on Old Jim’s past which is our modern day time. There is no real dystopian feel to the story since it is talking about events like Benghazi, Sandy Hook Elementary shooting, and the Boston Marathon bombing. I would describe the book as a paranormal conspiracy theory for adults.

The pacing is fast and there is a lot of action. Unfortunately, there are so many characters to keep track of that the fast pace makes it harder to understand what is happening. I was confused for most of the book because I could not figure out who's who. Some of this is due to the amount of minor characters in the book, but another reason I found is because the characters have numerous titles they go by. For instance, Jim’s father is sometimes referred to by his first name, his last name, the major, the magus, and I believe he is also called the black pope (though I never was certain of that). Add several names to the other characters and readers are left scratching their head in confusion.

I am disappointed by the lack of any relatable or likable characters. The only remotely likable character is Jim, but he actually has such a small role in the book, despite being the protagonist. Although even if he had a larger part, he lacks personality. His one likable quality is that he is not evil. In reality, the main character is Jim’s father, who is utterly despicable. Most of the other characters are just as bad. By the middle of the story, I really grew tired of reading about all these horrible people. It was so depressing!

I have to address the fact that there are grammatical errors. Similar sounding words are sometimes misused. For example, then is used instead of than or chopping instead of chomping. There is also an odd stylistic choice for setting off a character’s thoughts. The author uses an ellipsis at the end of their thoughts instead of using italics. Actually, the author uses ellipses frequently in the dialogue as well which is quite distracting.

My rating for Raging Falcon is 1 out of 4 stars. Despite disliking the characters, I would have given the book a higher rating if it had been well written. The overall confusion of the story makes it impossible for me to recommend it to anyone. A reader should never have to flip back and forth between pages to figure out what is happening.

Raging Falcon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachaelamb1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

It's too bad that the book wasn't well written. It sounds like it might have the potential to be a good book. I have found that with a lot of books lately. Thank you for such an honest review!
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

anneloretrujillo wrote:It's too bad that the book wasn't well written. It sounds like it might have the potential to be a good book. I have found that with a lot of books lately. Thank you for such an honest review!
Thank you, I agree!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. Too bad the book isn't as enjoyable as it should be. Good job on the review and good luck on your next one.
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. Too bad the book isn't as enjoyable as it should be. Good job on the review and good luck on your next one.
Thank you!
Katelyn Scott
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-scott.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by Katelyn Scott »

There's nothing more disappointing than a book that has such great potential but lets you down in the end.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
Zohaib Ahmed
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Zohaib Ahmed »

It seems like this book had potential. The cover is certainly eye catching. Too bad about the errors though. Great review!!

-- 04 Feb 2017, 06:14 --

It seems like this book had potential. The cover is certainly eye catching. Too bad about the errors though. Great review!!
Rachaelamb1

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Katelyn Scott wrote:There's nothing more disappointing than a book that has such great potential but lets you down in the end.
Thank you, I agree!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. A story of lies, deception and magic. Sounds interesting adding this to my TBR list. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A dystopian society controlled by a new world order, political schemings, and black magic? Sounds promising. Too bad it didn't follow through and wasn't that well-edited. I will pass as political thrillers aren't my cup of tea.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree with gali. Political thrillers aren't my thing. Plus the graphic nature of the book turns me off. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Adedola
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Adedola »

It's too bad that the vision of the writer wasn't effectively expressed or communicated in the book. Thank you for your review!
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

Well i haven't read the book but I am attracted to reading this book because of the rating.Could the confusion, the grammar errors and all such stuff have been deliberate in the sense that the person narrating the story was doing at a time "when live lacked meaning" at the eve of his execution? I will read the novel and revisit the rating. Otherwise, thanks for the honest review.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A father participating in political scheming and dealing with terrorism and black magic? Sounds pretty intense. Too bad about about the lack of likable characters; if I can't like at least one character, then my interest is turned off. The grammatical errors is also a turn off, as well as, the numerous sex scandals, murders, and rape scenes. This would be too much for me. Thank you for your honest review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
thebookextravaganza
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 474

Post by thebookextravaganza »

Thank you for writing such honest review. I was considering picking up the novel but it seems that not only does the author rely more on the shock value of his work, the story is poorly executed stylistically as well. As a non native speaker I would rather stick to the proper use of English since I myself lack enough experience and self-awareness when it comes to the grammar and so forth. Once again, great and informative review :)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”