Currently Reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
knightss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Currently Reading?

Post by knightss »

What book are you currently reading and/or what books are you about to begin?

Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-five by Kurt Vonnegut (should finish tonight or tomorrow)
Next Up: Watership Down by Richard Adams
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I'm a big fan of philosophy, and accordingly I'm reading Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion by David Hume. It's a short book about theism and religion, but it'd probably bore anyone who doesn't like philosophy. I just bought the book earlier this week, but it was probably a bad decision to buy Hume, because his philosophy most resembles mine. I 'd be better off reading someone with whom I will have more disagreements to make me think, rather than read more Hume who will just restate mostly what I already think.

Next, I'm reading A Clockwork Orange, because it's the book of the month.

I haven't read Slaughterhouse-five. Once you're finished, remember to tell us what you thought of it. :D
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

I am currently reading Jane Eyre and am about half way through. Next up: Emma, Portrait of a Lady, Sense and Sensibility, Vanity Fair, Lady Chatterly's Lover, July 4th and Midwives.

Any suggestions as to a good fiction read?

lapowers

Post by lapowers »

I have just finished reading The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. This book chronicles the last night of Joan's husbands life, the illness of her daughter and what her thought processes were during the year after John's death. Joan Didion gives us a look into her life and thoughts as she becomes a widow, the relentless actions of a mother helping a daughter who is near death return to health and her realization of her place in the world without her beloved John.
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Two books:

Deadeye Dick, Kurt Vonnegut

and re-reading A clockwork Orange, Burgess, for our book of the month. Come read it with us!
NYLee

Post by NYLee »

The Brief History of The Dead by Kevin Brockmeier
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

oh what is that? i am intrigues by anything that involves death. Morbid I know. Ever read the Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? It follows everywhere a corpse can go when you die, and what the body can do when donated- it made me put that little pink donor sticker on my id
Jillian

Post by Jillian »

collapse how societies choose to fail or succeed by jared diamond

the republican playbook

iraq report

boleyn inheritance

memoirs of cleopatra

naked

helen of troy

state of denial: bush at war

and no i am not currently reading all of these books listed the only ones i am "currently reading are collaps how societies choose to fail or succeed
and the republican playbook and iraq report
the others are some of the books i have that i eventually plan to read
Trinah

Post by Trinah »

Just finished reading Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Very long book but still very good.

Started Barry Trotter and the Dead Horse today as I thought I needed something lite and silly before I started back up with the classics again. Anna Karenina does funny things to you where books written more than a hundred years ago look like suicide. Oh well. I'll probably read Diary of a young girl - Anne Frank next, or Persuasion by Jane Austen.
zeeshan

Post by zeeshan »

Slowly looking into Daniel Dennett's "Elbow Room: Varities of Free will worth wanting" which is testament (like all his work) to how he's one of the most readable philosophers. Halfway through a marvelously read audiobook of Patrick McCabe's very poignant and very funny "The Butcher Boy" which has been on my list ever since I saw the adaptation years ago. Started Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds.
erin77

Post by erin77 »

I'm reading
Insurrection by Thomas M. Reid
its the second in the War of the spider Queen books.
Its cool because every book in the series is written by different author.
knightss

Post by knightss »

1984 by orwell which i will most likely finish tonight. great book so far. a clockwork orange (taking my time w/ to stay w/ the book club).

next book will probably be the perks of being a wallflower. there's so much hype around this book and i havn't gotten the chance to read it yet.
DanteAzrael

Post by DanteAzrael »

I am currently reading Atlas Shrugged through a second time. I always take the time to read through everything I read a couple of more times so I can maybe catch things I missed before or learn different things. In this case, I read it once...learned a lot from it...went through and learn more about Ayn Rand's philosophy, re-read The Fountainhead and now Atlas Shrugged so I can fully understand. The good thing is that the books merely give voice to what I've felt and thought for quite a long time (minus a small part of my life when I turned against it).

After this, I'll probably read the Divine Comedy again...or the Foundations series. Or maybe Matthew Pearl.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, remain neutral.
Linda

Post by Linda »

a poetry memoir called "you remind me of you." I almost finished it in one day it's pretty short and how lame highschool is allows me to read all day long.
knightss

Post by knightss »

Watership Down by Richard Adams

i know i said i was going to read it after slaughterhouse-five but i've read 1984/the perks of being a wallflower/running w/ scissors and now i'm finally getting to this book haha.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”