Official Review: Out of the Box Awakening

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Official Review: Out of the Box Awakening

Post by AA1495 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Out of the Box Awakening" by Jennifer Theriot.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Olivia relocates to Chicago because her husband Alan got transferred, she expects a calm reunion. Olivia and Alan plan to stay with Ash (Alan’s friend) till they finalize and purchase a house. However, Alan decides to stay away for longer. Olivia, being the dutiful wife, doesn’t object. Soon, Alan makes a major revelation which changes her life and puts their marriage on the line.

Ash takes care of and protects Olivia in Alan’s absence. With Ash’s help, Olivia is able to rediscover herself. She gets a job, friends who care about her and much more self-confidence. The attraction between Olivia and Ash is obvious. Will Olivia be able to move on and give love a second chance? If she does, will the relationship work, with Olivia’s children and Ash’s children in the picture?

Out of the Box Awakening by Jennifer Theriot has elements of romance and humor. There are three romantic relationships described in the book, with Olivia and Ash’s relationship forming the main storyline. The other two, however, are equally interesting sub-plots. All the three relationships seemed realistic and I was rooting for all the couples. There is an element of humor in the book through jokes and funny conversations. This made the book easier to read for me.

The protagonists of the book, Olivia and Ash are clever, loyal and kind. I liked the fact that they were very realistic. They had their own flaws but were likeable. The book shows Olivia’s development, from being insecure to confident. I found this aspect of the book inspiring. I could connect with her and was rooting for her. I was glad that she found her ‘awakening’, as the title of the book suggests. Ash, on the other hand, is described as the opposite of Alan. It was interesting to read about their differences. There are many secondary characters in the book and most characters have their own subplots. I liked the way the author handled the secondary characters and their stories.

In terms of language, the book was easy to follow. It is told from Olivia’s perspective, which makes it easier to understand her actions. I thought the book was slightly slow paced with excessive descriptions. Further, I found a few minor grammatical errors. However, the pace and grammatical mistakes did not interrupt my flow of reading. The plot held my attention and I wanted to read the book in one sitting.

What I liked best about the book was Olivia’s character. She liked to see the best in everyone and made an effort to please people. I liked how she became independent and confident about herself. I could connect with her, which is very important for me to be able to enjoy a book.

What I liked least about the book was the excessive descriptions of places or events. I thought these descriptions made the pace of the book slow. However, while I would have liked shorter descriptions, the plot was engaging enough to make the book enjoyable for me.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I liked the fact that the plot and characters were realistic. I thought the book was engaging and I wanted to finish reading it in one sitting. The book has mature content. I would recommend the book to adults who love reading romance books.

Out of the Box Awakening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the detailed review! This book seems like a good read but unfortunately I feel like I have already read books like this so I think I'll pass. But I'm sure others will enjoy it :)
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Sarah_Khan wrote:Great job on the detailed review! This book seems like a good read but unfortunately I feel like I have already read books like this so I think I'll pass. But I'm sure others will enjoy it :)
I liked the book. I understand your perspective. Thank you for your comment.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I thought you did a wonderful job of writing your review. I picked up a copy of this one as today's book of the day. Looking forward to finishing the rest of the book.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review Love the cover and downloaded it right away. I really love a love story when the main characters are over 30 as am I lol. Congrats to the author on being BOTD!!
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

mindyg123 wrote:Great review Love the cover and downloaded it right away. I really love a love story when the main characters are over 30 as am I lol. Congrats to the author on being BOTD!!
Please do tell me your review of the book once you read it. Thanks for the comment. ☺
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

Well written detailed review. It makes me more interested in reading the book. I like that the plot and characters are realistic which should make it easy to relate to.
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

chocomeiske wrote:Well written detailed review. It makes me more interested in reading the book. I like that the plot and characters are realistic which should make it easy to relate to.
I hope you give the book a chance. You'll like it if you like romance books. Thank you for your comment.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

It sounds like characterization is really a strength in this book. Even if the plot is not designed to be especially exciting, witnessing the interactions of compelling characters can still make for a meaningful and interesting read. Thanks for writing such a thoughtful review!
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

L_Therese wrote:It sounds like characterization is really a strength in this book. Even if the plot is not designed to be especially exciting, witnessing the interactions of compelling characters can still make for a meaningful and interesting read. Thanks for writing such a thoughtful review!
I agree with you. Hope you give this book a chance. Thank you for your comment.
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

A great one from the best selling author of USA and one of my favorites.
Congrats on being the BOTD
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I'm not sure if this sounds like a book for me, but I'm glad you were able to connect with the character Olivia. Very nice review!
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

gaporter wrote:I'm not sure if this sounds like a book for me, but I'm glad you were able to connect with the character Olivia. Very nice review!

It is important to be able to connect with the characters. Thank you so much.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Wow great review, I love how very detailed you are. This book definitely sounds like something I would like to read. I'm a sucker for a good romance, especially if it's a nice easy read and humor is always the perfect seasoning. Thank you for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Romance novels aren't my top pick, but I might give this a try. Good to hear that the characters are realistic. One of my biggest about the romance books that I have read is a general lack of reality.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”