Do the factions cover all personality?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Cher+Pot
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Hollow
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher-pot.html
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
fav_author_id: 2791

Re: Do the factions cover all personality? (Spoilers)

Post by Cher+Pot »

Crimsonsky 749 wrote:
krood10 wrote:I don't think the majority of people fit into each faction perfectly. Most people I know have tendencies for many of the factions. I will say that most people do have one that they gravitate towards with their personality. In that aspect, I think she did cover the vast majority of people.
That was the point, most of the people in this world would be divergent if they were in this book. I haven't read insurgent but I have watched the movie. For me this is what I think it means. The people outside the wall are all like the factions but less intense, this was a huge problem for them so they decided to put people that made up all five categories inside the wall. Then once the 100% divergent was found they would release them back into the world to try to change all of the people outside the walls into divergents as well. Or another theory is that they put all the people who were only in one faction inside the wall. Then waited for a 100% divergent to come out so they would fit in with the rest of the society.
I also believe that most people in the world ARE divergent, that is why we feel so much for Tris and each one of us can relate to her on some level :eusa-think: .
If you don't like where you are, MOVE!
You are not a tree.
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
courtney8847
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney8847.html

Post by courtney8847 »

I really do think they cover all of the most basic personality traits.
Jausten11
Favorite Book: sun also rises
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jausten11.html

Post by Jausten11 »

I think so. However, most people would not fit perfectly in one faction. I think we can be more mathematical than creative and courageous, though in the right situations we could all be a bit of each "faction".
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Each faction does seem to have traits that intersect and involve more than one personality type so I think the author did do a good job with assigning the factions.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

In whole, I believe that the factions cover all the main personality types. The only problem is that in our world often people have personality traits from two or all of the factions. However, people in Tris and Four's world are molded from a young age to only fit one category. It is the people that have a strong personalities that couldn't be molded and shaped to societies pressures. This causes Divergent to be made if they weren't already Divergent.
Given that theory, then no... the factions do not cover all the personalities. That is if you aren't counting Factionless.
Rachelng288
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelng288.html

Post by Rachelng288 »

I feel that all factions do not cover all personality traits as it kinda labels an individual as one despite everyone being unique in their own way.
Mares Nest
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Pearl that Broke Its Shell
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mares-nest.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Mares Nest »

I don't think they cover all the personality types. The biggest flaw in divergent for me was I found it kind of unbelievable. You'll say, duh, it's dystopia, but still. It's impossible to reduce and force the human mind to stay in a society that closed.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

In the beginning, I would have said no, because it seems like there are thousands of different personalities. But after reading through and meeting the characters, you start to realize that although they do all differ so much, they still fit in to one of the factions.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

They cover most of the personalities, but it doesn't mean that everyone only has one personality. If people from our world went into their society, I'm pretty sure that many people would be Divergent. Nowadays, many people have overlapping personalities and it would certainly be difficult for them to make a choice.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

For the most part I think they cover most personalities, or at least broad generalizations of them. But to be honest some people might not exemplify any of the things the factions stand for, they might be bad people who don't value knowledge, are selfish, maybe brave but not the way Dauntless should be brave, and our prone to tell lies. Though I guess they would choose a faction and try to use their abilities to change things to their ways, but in essence they wouldn't really belong.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

How can anyone be generalized?? Each of us is unique. We can't define anyone by just a single quality. So no, I think the factions do NOT cover all types of personalities. We are all a mix of a little of everything. Like Lemony Snicket's character, Fernald says, "Nobody is either good or evil. We're all a mixture of everything, like Chef's salad." I agree. I don't think you can generalize a group of people with just one trait.
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

I think if the factions covered all types of personality traits then there wouldn't be any Divergents right? It's an interesting topic that's for sure.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Kiisme
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =52409">12 Shades of Surrender</a>
Currently Reading: An Accidental Affair
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiisme.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kiisme »

I think all personalities are covered in the book, however most if not all persons have at least two personalities. The way you are socialize plays an important role in which personality will become more dominant.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I believe that fractions cover all basic types of personalities and layers can be put afterwards.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I think that, although a lot of the basic personality traits can be found in the factions, most people would not fit in one faction. Personally, I feel that I am a mixture between Amity and Erudite, with a little Candor. I think in today's society, there would be a much bigger number of divergent people. But, I guess that was the point of the experiment.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”