Colleen McCullough

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Colleen McCullough

Post by Gannon »

Colleen McCullough is my favourite author. I absolutely adore her Roman books. She never appears in any posts on this site. I am just wondering if there are any other members who like Colleen McCullough? :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Hullo, Gannon, and yes I do like Colleen McCullough but unfortunately I haven't kept up with her more recent works. It's wonderful how she keeps going with such ill health.

Although a newbie to this website, I have noticed a lack of comments on Australian writers. Bryce Courtenay, Nick Earls, Di Morrissey, Thomas Keneally, David Malouf or even classic Patrick White deserve a mention, too. Maybe we should start an Aussie thread!

I look forward to reading a lively CmcC book review. Happy reading!
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:Hullo, Gannon, and yes I do like Colleen McCullough but unfortunately I haven't kept up with her more recent works. It's wonderful how she keeps going with such ill health.

Although a newbie to this website, I have noticed a lack of comments on Australian writers. Bryce Courtenay, Nick Earls, Di Morrissey, Thomas Keneally, David Malouf or even classic Patrick White deserve a mention, too. Maybe we should start an Aussie thread!

I look forward to reading a lively CmcC book review. Happy reading!
Hi there Maud. Glad to see another McCullough fan out there. It is such a shame about her health but it does not seem to be slowing her down. Her most recent works are her "Carmine Delmonico" novels, with "Naked Cruelty" being the latest. You are right about the lack of comments on Australian authors. You could easily add Tim Winton to the list. I must admit that I do not read as many Aussie authors as I should, because we sure do have some brilliant writers. I have "Fishing for Stars" - Bryce Courtenay sitting on my shelf but it is sitting a way down on my TBR list. Perhaps I should move it up. Happy reading to you as well. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

You're right, Gannon, how could I forget Tim Winton. Another writer who crossed my mind is Tara Moss. I think she's a bit off myself but my daughter likes her work.

Back to the subject of CmcC, do you think she will write her autobiography or there's been enough said in the Australian Women's Weekly? I think she's living an interesting life!

Also, she likes Caiseal Mor's books (another Aussie) and recommends "The Song Of The Earth" (1996) which blends Celtic history and fantasy so I might try to get my hands on a copy. HooRoo.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

I have not read any of Tara Moss's books. I think they might be a bit "fluffy" :D. On the other hand from interviews and reviews she does appear to do a lot of research. I would love Colleen McCullough to write her autobiography. I would love to go to her house (Which looks like a library) and sit down and have a long coffee with her. I have learnt more about Ancient Rome from her books than from text books.
Thanks for the heads up on "The Song of the Earth". It sounds exactly like my cup of tea and will probably be the next book I buy. If you get a copy we can compare notes on it. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Sounds like a good idea to me!!!
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Hey there Maud, just letting you know that "Songs of the Earth" is the second book in "The Wanderers" trilogy. The first book is "The Circle and the Cross". I have had a look at these books and they seem great. I have ordered a copy of "The Circle and the Cross", hope you get a copy of it as well, I have a good feeling that this is going to be a great trilogy. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

You did well, Gannon. I could only find "The Song of the Earth" at my library so have placed a hold. May have to search in new and used book stores for the other publications.

I can see why CmcC likes Caiseal Mor. Not only amazing stories but a very special life. You two will be able to chat about him over a cuppa!!
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

I can see why CmcC likes Caiseal Mor. Not only amazing stories but a very special life. You two will be able to chat about him over a cuppa!!
:) lol I have so many questions I would like to ask her, she would probably get sick of me and kick me out. :) If you don't mind ordering books online I picked it up at abebooks.com. There are some copies of paperbacks there for only a couple of bucks. The store said it was posted Thursday 3rd, so I should get it early nest week. I will let you know what I think of it. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Thanks for the advice re online book store. Will investigate. Meanwhile I'm hoping my library book will become available soon, although it may be detrimental reading the second one first.

I posted a suggestion for March Book Of The Month but could not find the rules so perhaps, like yours, it may not be accepted. My reading tastes are eclectic so it's always hard to find books which others may enjoy. I am enjoying posting though!

You will be pleased to know I've dusted off my paperback copy of Colleen McCullough's "The First Man in Rome" (1990) and will re-read it.
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

You will be pleased to know I've dusted off my paperback copy of Colleen McCullough's "The First Man in Rome" (1990) and will re-read it
One of my favourite books ever. McCullough brings all of these historical figures to life. She really has a gift of being able to transport you back in time. The first book is really about the two major characters, Sulla and Marius and the cival war that is fought between them. I have a signed first edition that I ordered over the net. It never gets opened let alone read, I have a very used and battered old paperback for re-reading. :) If I did not have so many books on my TBR list, I would go back and re-read it too. Let me know what you think of it this time around. :)

Tuesday 8th march.
Hi there Maud I have just received my copy of "The Circle and the Cross" in the post. As soon as I have finished "The last of the Mohicans" I am going to read it, it sounds great. I will let you know. :)
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Hullo again, Gannon. Great minds think alike! Or at least the delivery services do.....I also collected my Caiseal Mor copy "The Song Of The Earth" today. There is a comment on the front of the paperback by Dr Colleen McCullough which reads "An immensely satisfying fusion between early Celtic history and fantasy".

I bet Colleen was just as blown away by the first page of the Prologue as I was - "Fill your lungs with the cool untainted air that is only found amid soaring white-capped mountains. Ease your traveller's thirst with a deep draught snatched from a roaring highland waterfall. Watch awe-struck as a wall of fog rolls down from the tree-topped ridge to absorb you entirely in a great misty avalanche". So evocative!

On a sad note, I've just caught up with the news that Australian writer biographer Hazel Rowley died suddenly in New York aged 59. Such a talent lost.

On a lighter note, putting the date on your post was a good idea. I'm still trying to get used to the time difference on this website. It is about 9.25pm Tuesday 8th March 2011 here. And I'm enjoying "The First Man In Rome" the second time around, older and wiser!
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

And I'm enjoying "The First Man In Rome" the second time around, older and wiser
I think the character of Sulla really makes the first book. Even though he is portrayed as being intricately evil he is just so interesting. He shows that he will do anything to climb the cursus honorum and take his place at the top. He is a brilliant general but has many deep problems outside of military life. McCullough makes him feel so real. :)

I am about 3/4 of the way through "The last of the Mohicans" and cannot wait to get started on "The Circle and the Cross".

I must admit that I did not know who Hazel Rowley was. It sounds like she was a great talent who will be missed. :(
Maud Fitch

Post by Maud Fitch »

Gannon, we’re getting quite a blog going here.....

At the moment I've several books on-the-go but a friend just loaned me Colleen McCullough’s third, and newest, novel in her Carmine Delmonico series “Naked Cruelty”. I found the opening chapter too explicit for me and skipped ahead. Somehow I don’t think I’ll feel comfortable reading this book. Plus my friend said she was let down by the ending.

Any thoughts?
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:Gannon, we’re getting quite a blog going here.....

At the moment I've several books on-the-go but a friend just loaned me Colleen McCullough’s third, and newest, novel in her Carmine Delmonico series “Naked Cruelty”. I found the opening chapter too explicit for me and skipped ahead. Somehow I don’t think I’ll feel comfortable reading this book. Plus my friend said she was let down by the ending.

Any thoughts?
Yes I must agree that they are not her best books. Apparently she always wanted to write some crime novels. They are certainly not terrible and are readable but nowhere near her classics. Stick with "The first man in Rome". I know it is an enormous book but its sooooooooo good. :)

By the way I am just starting "The Circle and the Cross" at this very moment. :)

Return to “Discuss Authors”