Official Review: Storm of Arranon by R E Sheahan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Storm of Arranon by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lieutenant Erynn Yager has special abilities that she has tried to keep hidden all her life. Already enough of an outsider as the daughter of the commanding general of Korin’s military, she doesn’t need anyone to learn that her very existence is itself forbidden. Children of mixed Korin and Arranon descent were outlawed years ago, and others like her were hunted down and exterminated.

As Erynn’s ability to suppress her powers starts to slip, General Cale Athru arrives from Arranon and reveals that he knows more about her past than anyone should … and more about her future as well. Caught between two worlds that need her and a past that she’s always tried to deny, Erynn must overcome her doubts or watch everything she loves be destroyed.

Storm of Arranon is the first installment in R E Sheahan’s young adult series of the same title. There was a lot of potential in this sci-fi tale, but unfortunately, the overall delivery fell short. Beautifully descriptive language really brought the scenery to life, but the magic ended there. Despite the turmoil in her life and the range of emotions the reader is told she is experiencing, Erynn felt incredibly flat. The writing just did not evoke those emotions, and as such, her character was unbelievable and unrelatable. Many of the conversations were overly formal and stilted. In several instances, simply using contractions in the dialog would have improved this feeling.

The romance felt forced, much more like an afterthought than a necessary part of the story. It was as if the author thought “Oh, I’m writing a young adult novel with a female protagonist - there has to be a love story!” I found it distracting and would have much preferred to see Erynn develop without this aspect.

I understand that this is a young adult piece, but some plot points were simplified to the point of being ridiculous. There was one point in the story where, after just receiving a dagger inlaid with colored jewels, Erynn comes across a statue with colored jewels in it. It takes her days to solve the “puzzle” of what to do with these jewels, but the answer was insultingly simple. I could have done without this whole section, but it would have worked better if the answer had not been so blindingly obvious.

In general, the whole story was a bit too predictable and a little too tidy for my taste: everything just worked out to a degree that became unbelievable. While I can see that some people would like this story, I personally would not recommend it. As such, I rate this book a 2 out of 4.

Storm of Arranon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like braver's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising and interesting. Too bad, though, about Erynn's characterization and the forced romance. Good job on the review.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising and interesting. Too bad, though, about Erynn's characterization and the forced romance. Good job on the review.
Thanks! I was disappointed - I really wanted to like this one, but it just fell short.
Maryannwrites-15
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Eye of the Storm
Bookshelf Size: 960
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Maryannwrites-15 »

It's always disappointing when a story does not measure up. I was tempted to try this book until I read the review. I will wait to see if the author does better with later books. Sometimes the first book in a series is a bit rough and subsequent books are better.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Thank you for the honest review; I am not a fan of YA books, but I did download the sample, although, with the mixed reviews, unless the sample blows me away, I will pass on this.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I am not a fan of young adult or sci-fi books. However, I wanted to post to let you know I enjoyed reading your review. It was honest and well-written.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

It stinks that this book didn't work for you, but I'm glad you were honest. If the characters are flat, the romance is an afterthought, and some of the plot points didn't work, I want to know before I invest time in the book.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”