Official Review: Stillwell A Haunting on Long Island

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Official Review: Stillwell A Haunting on Long Island

Post by rachel_bruhn »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stillwell A Haunting on Long Island" by Michael Phillip Cash.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael Cash debuts his second novel, Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island, which is a suspense thriller set in modern times with ties to the 1700's. In this story, the reader follows the day-to-day life of Paul, a recently widowed husband with three children. Paul's late wife, Allison, was his childhood sweetheart and soulmate, so he was having a hard time dealing with her early death. In an effort to be a strong provider for his children again, Paul returns to work as a realtor. His most promising lead is an old estate with a haunted history. Despite the strange feelings, visions, and sounds he experiences on the property, and at home, Paul knows he needs the sale and tries to convince himself that these "happenings" are from lack of sleep. After an insightful psychic reading and a series of nightmares involving Allison, Paul starts looking into the murderous past residents of the historic home. What he finds makes him question everything.

This story was such a refreshing read after reading so many poorly revised books. The story had a steady flow that gave the reader enough of the day-to-day details without bogging down the progression of the story. I would describe it as a page turner due to the constant suspense that builds throughout the story. Cash's writing style is natural and easy to read. I noted a few places that seemed to be missing words, probably due to editing/formatting errors. I would not say that they detracted from the book, but it would be nice to see them replaced.

As a big fan of ghost stories, I expected many of the typical "haunting" elements to be present, such as cold air, odd smells/sounds, apparitions, etc. I was not disappointed. Aside from making sure to include the typical ghost story nuances, Cash added an interesting plot twist involving ties between the present and the historic past. Although I was a little disappointed by the ending, I would strongly recommend this novel to fans of ghost stories, historical suspense novels, and mystery readers. There is some PG-13 content, as would be expected in this type of novel, but there is never overly gruesome details, so it is a little tamer for more sensitive or younger readers.

I have never lost anyone close to me, so I could not relate to Paul on that level, but I think part of the message from this story comes from losing someone you love. Paul is dealing with inner demons, so to speak, as evidenced by his depressive symptoms described in the prologue and throughout the story. He is not able to deal with the demons in his life until he has learned to face the inner demons that are holding him back from accepting his wife's death. Throughout the story, Paul struggles to return normalcy to his and his family's lives because he is holding on to the life they used to have when his wife was alive. As he learns more about the paranormal history of the estate he is selling, he also learns more about how to move on from her death and be a better provider for his family.

I was extremely happy with this selection and enjoyed reading Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island by Michael Phillip Cash. I would award it 4 out of 4 stars for being an excellent and easy read.

Stillwell A Haunting on Long Island
View: on Bookshelves

Like rachel_jacks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Journey beyond the jacket.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I stumbled across this book in my local library several months ago. I was a little skeptical at first, but I totally agree with your rating! It was a great read!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

klbradley wrote:I stumbled across this book in my local library several months ago. I was a little skeptical at first, but I totally agree with your rating! It was a great read!
That is awesome! I am glad you enjoyed the book and that you decided to take a chance on a new book. :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I usually get creeped out by ghost stories, but you made this one sound so good. I am going to add it to my crazy long reading list. :) Glad you enjoyed the book!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

If you like suspense/mystery, I think you will be safe. :) Although there are "ghosts" in the story, the real focus is on Paul's journey and his quest to uncover the history of the house he is trying to sell.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great ghost story. I'm not much into ghost story as I get scared easily :) but I might give it a try. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Phillip Cash on such an obviously well written book.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Glad you enjoyed the book. It sounds interesting. Thanks for the great review! :)
Sweet Angel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-angel.html

Post by Sweet Angel »

Like to read mystery and ghost stories. Looks interesting book and look forward to reading it. Great review
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

Great job on the review! I enjoy ghost stories and historical fiction, so I think it is interesting that they have incorporated both genres into the same book. This sounds like a good read.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book overall, despite being disappointed with the ending. Wish it was edited better. Thank You for the great review.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I love a good ghost story and a historical one at that is very intriguing. I will definitely be putting this one on my list of books to read! Great review!
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Superb review. I enjoyed today's preview.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Congrats on being BOTD! Love the review. I read this a few months ago and boy am I glad I did. I love stories about haunting and the author has an ability to draw you in and make you feel like you're right there watching everything. I couldn't put it down I read into the wee hours to finish it. Grab this one up if you're into this genre you won't be disappointed.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I read the sample of this book just now which really grabbed me, and your review continues to make me think I would enjoy this. I am definitely picky when it comes to "ghost" stories but I like that this weaves back to a historical time and seems to also have a solid realistic component in the writing.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This looks like a fantastic read. Sounds like the author does a good job relating the past with the present, all while dealing with the complex emotions a person goes through while losing a loved one. Wow - what a bang! The sample was well-written, so I think I would like this.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”