Official Review: Love Blitz by Shana James

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Love Blitz by Shana James

Post by gali »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Blitz" by Shana James.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love Blitz by Shana James is a sweet romance novel featuring a hotshot NFL quarterback star and his former flame.

Does everyone deserve a second chance? How hard would you fight to have a second chance at love? This is a story about powerful love, trust, and second chances.

This poignant love story started when Jillian and Malik were young and restless. The couple developed a close friendship during their high school and college years, but it ended up badly. After Malik Cooper was chosen first in the NFL draft, he broke up with Jillian by the advice of his agent. He didn't even have the decency to tell her that directly, leaving the dirty job for his agent. Ten years later he is a Super Bowl-winning quarterback for the New York Kings. An incapacitating injury during one of the games forces him to slow the pace and take stock of his life.

Jillian Peters was devastated when Malik broke up with her, to say the least, but moved on with her life and finished her medical studies. She opened a medical practice in her hometown that keeps her fulfilled. As a dedicated doctor, aside from being the only African-American woman doc in town, she is in high demand. She never forgot her old flame though, and is still carrying a torch for him ten years later. When her first and only love comes back to town, asking her to rekindle their love and handle his physical therapy, she’s caught off-guard. She must decide if she wants to give him a second chance, risking being hurt again.

This plot isn't particularly original, but the execution felt refreshing. Although it was pretty predictable as far as the plot went, I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Obviously this book is about a second chance, so all the stereotypical things happen. However, there is so much more to the story than that. Interwoven within this sweet tale are themes of second chances, forgiveness, friendships, life-altering events, heartbreaks, family, open one's heart, learning from the mistakes you made, lessons learned about life, and gaining wisdom from experiencing all of these things. I have to say that some twists completely took me by surprise.

The intensity of Jillian and Malik's love took my breath away at times. The relationship between the pair had an authentic feel that resonated with me. Although I was somewhat ambivalent about the hero, I found this couple's interactions endearing. The author drew the internal conflicts of the characters very well. The characters are amazingly written, coming across very genuine and fully well-rounded. While there are a couple of sex scenes, they are tastefully done and more focused on descriptions of emotions rather than acts.

Filled with beauty, heartache, forgiveness, redemption, and an undying love all around, it is a sweet and endearing read about love and second chances. It eloquently portrays the bonds of true love and what one is willing to risk in the name of love. Jillian was quite possibly the most kindhearted, generous heroine I've ever had the pleasure of reading about. There were times where she came across as overly meek, but she was stronger than she seemed and I rooted for her. I personally think we should give second chances, and that love is worth risking heartbreaks.

My only issue with the book is the poor editing! The author would have benefitted greatly from the use of a good editor! There are many typographical and grammar errors throughout the book. There are typos, incorrect punctuation, missing words, awkwardly worded sentences, run-on sentences, commas in the wrong place, and other editorial oversights which sometime disrupted the flow of the reading. With better editing and general tweaking, this book could be a hit.

I enjoyed this book overall, so I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. It is a story which just oozes romance. I liked this book and have no doubt readers who love charming second-chance-at-romance plotlines will enjoy it as well. The pacing is perfect as the pair reconnects and an incredibly intimate love story unfolds. It is a warm-hearted, feel good kind of book, which, if you can put your cynicism aside, is very enjoyable to read.

Love Blitz
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gali's review? Post a comment saying so!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another insightful review! It's a shame about the numerous errors because I usually like books about second chances. Glad you were able to enjoy the book despite the poor editing.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Another insightful review! It's a shame about the numerous errors because I usually like books about second chances. Glad you were able to enjoy the book despite the poor editing.
Thank you. Hopefully the author will fix those errors.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I wish some indie authors would place more importance on the editing of a book. Poor editing can really dampen a reader's interest in an otherwise good story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I wish some indie authors would place more importance on the editing of a book. Poor editing can really dampen a reader's interest in an otherwise good story.
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great and detailed review, gali! It's too bad about the editing. As a reviewer, we see it so much that is becomes common sense. Unfortunately, it seems new authors are more interested in getting the book out rather than taking the time to fine tune their stories. Hopefully, the author will take your thoughts into consideration.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Another great and detailed review, gali! It's too bad about the editing. As a reviewer, we see it so much that is becomes common sense. Unfortunately, it seems new authors are more interested in getting the book out rather than taking the time to fine tune their stories. Hopefully, the author will take your thoughts into consideration.
Thank you and hopefully the author will.
A retired Admin/Mod

AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Nice review! Love the theme. I'm thinking of reading this one. A quick question - are the grammatical errors very obvious? will they completely put the reader off?
gali

Post by gali »

AA1495 wrote:Nice review! Love the theme. I'm thinking of reading this one. A quick question - are the grammatical errors very obvious? will they completely put the reader off?
The grammatical errors aren't that many, but the typographical errors are numerous. I enjoyed the story despite them, but I suggest you try the sample first. Thank you.
A retired Admin/Mod

AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

gali wrote:
AA1495 wrote:Nice review! Love the theme. I'm thinking of reading this one. A quick question - are the grammatical errors very obvious? will they completely put the reader off?
The grammatical errors aren't that many, but the typographical errors are numerous. I enjoyed the story despite them, but I suggest you try the sample first. Thank you.
Oh okay. I'll try the sample soon! Thanks for the reply :)
gali

Post by gali »

AA1495 wrote:
gali wrote:
Oh okay. I'll try the sample soon! Thanks for the reply :)
Enjoy! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I like stories about high school sweethearts and old flames and this seems like one of those sweet stories of love that give us the tingles :) Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
gali

Post by gali »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:I like stories about high school sweethearts and old flames and this seems like one of those sweet stories of love that give us the tingles :) Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
Thank you.
A retired Admin/Mod

Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Argh! Too bad about the editing. It is a real pet peeve of mine to repeatedly encounter errors while reading. I thought your review was very well done. Unfortunately, I won't consider reading the book because of the errors.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
gali

Post by gali »

Elaine5 wrote:Argh! Too bad about the editing. It is a real pet peeve of mine to repeatedly encounter errors while reading. I thought your review was very well done. Unfortunately, I won't consider reading the book because of the errors.
Thank you and I understand. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”