Official Review: A Wounded World by Crit Kincaid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: A Wounded World by Crit Kincaid

Post by Misaela »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid.]
Book Cover for 2338
Share This Review

Crit Kincaid has written a story that tells us about the life of Normal Albert Steves, and his life after Norman, his sister, mom and dad died in a tragic accident just after a legendary baseball game Normal’s dad helped win. Ever since the accident, Normal developed a stutter, due to a concussion suffered in the accident. He also lives with and is homeschooled by his grandmother-Rachel Albert Steves-, whose body is continuously deteriorating; she has Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and is losing the ability to breathe on her own.

A Wounded World is more than a story in the life of someone with ALS; it’s so much more deep. When I started reading it, I was thrust into the personal thoughts of a scared 12-year-old boy with a gift for art, who only has two persons in his life: his granny, whose death is imminent, and J. P. Harrah, a retired judge that looks over Rachel’s affairs and Normal. Normal’s life is one of constant fear: fear of the outside world, who took his family from him at the age of 9; fear of the future and a life without his granny; fear of falling asleep, because sleeping gave way to dreams, which gave way to nightmares and memories of death.

Two weeks after an emergency with Normal’s grandmother, they were both transferred to River Gate, a living community for the terminally ill. Rachel’s last years were to be lived as comfortable as possible, and her burdens lessened. Among other things, that meant Normal had to stop being homeschooled by Rachel, and be enrolled in a traditional high school. Despite all the fear and anxiety this change was giving Normal, there were some upsides. His homeroom teacher was interested in Normal’s art and helped him develop it. He also learned how to survive in a world full of bullies and people who were either disinterested or too scared to help others. Even though one would say Normal’s life was becoming more… normal, it was anything but. Living in a community for the terminally ill put the boy in constant contact with death, and that was not healthy.

Kincaid made a wonderful story with dynamic characters and a complex plot. I saw the lives of Normal and Rachel, the stories of the residents of River Gate, and a glimpse into J.P.’s life and motives. Additionally, the high school Normal was enrolled into brought many students with lives as diverse and complicated as someone can imagine. One of Normal’s classmates even felt the obligation of bringing Normal to the light and out of the shadows that hiding in death bring.

I enjoyed this novel and felt every emotion the characters portrayed. My rating for A Wounded World would be 3 out of 4 stars. I couldn’t rate it 4 stars because, when the story was wrapping up, some characters evolved, to me, too quick and drastically; like the author had to get to the point and finish the plot. I also got a bit confused with the ending—but that was probably on purpose. In spite of this few aspects, I fully recommend anyone to pick up a copy of this wonderful book. It would appeal to young and more mature readers, as well as to someone who has suffered the loss of a loved one.

Read A Wounded World for free with KU
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a complex and good story. It is interesting that Normal (what a name!) learned how to survive in a "world full of bullies". Living in a community for the terminally ill sure didn't help.

Congratulations to the author on the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
purplepeepleeater
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplepeepleeater.html

Post by purplepeepleeater »

This sounds like a very heartwrenching story, thank you for this great review!!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wonderful review, Misaela! It sounds like a very emotional read about loss, which I'm sure many of us has experienced. Congratulations to the author for receiving a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Was Norman his sister? Were they twins? That's grabbed hold of my brain now!

Not sure this is for me, at least not right now, but maybe the sample will change my mind.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
lydialeigh71
Favorite Author: Robin Jones Gunn
Currently Reading: The Mask of Perpetuity
Bookshelf Size: 717
fav_author_id: 5926

Post by lydialeigh71 »

Wonderful review! The story intrigues me and cannot wait to find time to curl up today in my reading chair to learn Normal's story. A good lesson to remember that life as we know it can change in an instant and how love can heal all wounds if we allow it.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I enjoyed the story. Excellent review.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Great review! It sounds so sad, though. I can imagine myself crying throughout the whole thing! But it totally sounds right up my alley!

And thanks for being so honest about the ending!
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html

Post by Misaela »

Thanks so much for the positive feedback. I'm very glad that this review has helped people discover such an interesting read. I would love to hear all about your experience with the book was.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your thorough, balanced review. The story seems unique and interesting. However, it doesn't seem like my cup of tea since I don't like confusing endings.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
fallenechoes
Currently Reading: Doomed Soul
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by fallenechoes »

Good review. This sounds like a good book even though the character development was rushed at the end. It definitely still sounds like a book worth checking out! Thanks!
Radhika_17
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-17.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Radhika_17 »

Looks like an emotionally complex read. Thanks for a balanced review, might give it a try.
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like a very sad story that has a learning lesson for those that may have someone who experiences ALS. I am glad you enjoyed the book.
AbbyC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyc.html
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto

Post by AbbyC »

This sounds so good! I love the descriptions you give of the characters, they sound so heart-wrenching! Great review!
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Thanks for the great review! I've noticed a lot of books tend to rush the ending. However, it still seems like this is a great book! I will have to check it out.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”