Book or Movie?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
ermzbimbz0205
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Book or Movie?

Post by ermzbimbz0205 »

Book for me. Book opens one's imagination and i find it thrilling to put life to the characters of the book myself. My personal policy is to read the book before i watch its movie.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I only watched the movie.the first one.I liked the movie.dunno about the book. :roll2:
Ludlam_b
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Ludlam_b »

They were both good but i prefered the books things in the movies just werent what i pictured and the books have more backround and details
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I just finished the book and haven't decided yet if I want to see the movie. I've heard mixed reviews about the movie and I'm usually pro-book anyway, so I'm not in a rush.
lmossor
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmossor.html

Post by lmossor »

movies are good but books are way better
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

As I always say the book is always better than the movie. 1 because you never know if the actors chosen will embody the characters the way you read them and 2 because there is always stuff missing because of lack of time or is hard to show visually in a movie.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
shelbs_17
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelbs-17.html

Post by shelbs_17 »

Honestly, I felt that the movie did a good job improving on the plot of the book. Meaning that to me Tris throughout the book series became a bland character and was incredibly disappointing. However, the movie did leave out certain details of the book that were in my opinion important- for example- the chocolate cake. While I usually agree with the statement "the books are always better", in this case I was pleasantly surprised with the movies.

-- December 30th, 2016, 7:30 pm --

Honestly, I felt that the movie did a good job improving on the plot of the book. Meaning that to me Tris throughout the book series became a bland character and was incredibly disappointing. However, the movie did leave out certain details of the book that were in my opinion important- for example- the chocolate cake. While I usually agree with the statement "the books are always better", in this case I was pleasantly surprised with the movies.
laylawhite
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laylawhite.html

Post by laylawhite »

I like both but I would go with the book anyday just because I love the details. There was a lot of things left out in the movie and the book was just so fun to read.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I think books are always better than the movies because I usually read the books first so I already have a mental representation of a character so once the movie comes out I'm usually disappointed by the portrayal of the characters in the movie. Although there are some movies whose actors do a great job in portraying the characters from the books.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I am normally a fan of book over movie, and that holds true with this series as well! The books definitely portray Tris as a stronger character than the movies.
Wizard Magic
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wizard-magic.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Wizard Magic »

I think book are naturally better for most people, because in addition to detail and background, they allow the reader to picture the story with their own imagination. This makes it much more entertaining and exciting for the reader. The movie may be great, but if you read the book first, the experience you had envisioning the story is usually better than what the movie ends up depicting.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
nikkon
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkon.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by nikkon »

I seen the movie and I read the series before the movie came out and like always, I choose book over movie because theres a lot more stuff going on in the books versus the movie counter part. Thats only because they need to cut the time in the movie but still :/.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
yc123
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 906">percy jackson</a>
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by yc123 »

As good as the movie was, I think the book was better because you get to better understand what the main character (Tris) was thinking throughout the story. It also includes some scenes that, for various reasons were left out of the movie. These scenes add a lot of insight to the motives and memories of the characters.They also allow the reader to use their imagination.

-- 28 May 2017, 18:46 --

As good as the movie was, I think the book was better because you get to better understand what the main character (Tris) was thinking throughout the story. It also includes some scenes that, for various reasons were left out of the movie. These scenes add a lot of insight to the motives and memories of the characters.They also allow the reader to use their imagination.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I like both book and movie. Both have caught my attention and interest and I would vote for both of them.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I would say book because I usually prefer books to movies. However, Sci-Fi books tend to throw me off. So I'm going with movie on this one.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”