Author Articles and Guest Posts

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Moderators: bookowlie, Special Discussion Leaders

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Author Articles and Guest Posts

Post by bookowlie »

Welcome! I am hosting a new feature called Author Articles and Guest Posts. Authors will be selected to write a guest post about a topic of their choosing. If you are interested, please submit your name and specific topic to me by PM. Once an author is selected, the guest article should be sent to me for general approval and posting.

Important Note: The article must be original and not previously posted or published somewhere else. Also, it will be exclusive to this site and cannot be published or posted anywhere afterward. If you would like a guaranteed spot, please contact Scott for details.

Here are a few ideas for inspiration, but you can certainly come up with your topic:

5 Tips for Becoming a Better Writer
5 Things You Love About Your Latest Book
What You Love About Self-Publishing
2 Writers Who Have Inspired You
Marketing Ideas that Worked for You
Mistakes Writers Make When Querying Publishers
Inspiration for Your Book
10 Things I Wish I Knew About Being an Indie Author
How to Promote Your Book Online
Practical Advice for Beginning Writers
5 Mistakes Indie Authors Should Avoid
Resources that Have Improved Your Writing
What Three Book Characters Would You Like to Have Dinner With?
Is Choosing a Setting Important?
A Peek into Your Life (favorite TV shows, films, book genres, vacation spots, etc.)
How to Avoid Procrastinating
Do Book Giveaways Spur Sales?

-- 14 Oct 2015, 18:39 --

I just wanted to add that any aspiring writers can also participate in this new feature. I figure aspiring writers are authors that haven't been published yet. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AetherPirate
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by AetherPirate »

I'd like to write and submit and article, I'm too new here to PM you though. Would an article about a new author's experience be worthwhile?
Ezekiel Azazel
Currently Reading: Rape of the Nile
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reading Device: B00KHA5G6G
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Post by Ezekiel Azazel »

I'm a couple weeks from releasing my second book, and I also have a third book that I'm almost done with, just by tinkering around when I had writers block authoring my first two. I'd love to help, and write an article for authors (or inspiring ones) on tips and what to expect.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

That would be fine. :) Send me a PM nd I will give you further information.
dpuckridge
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by dpuckridge »

I think this forum will be of interest and great use to budding authors.
I have ideas for writing our family history and am not sure where to start.
Also i have started to write a travel article, but not sure who to send it to.
Trying to set myself up as a freelance writer of articles.
I hope this fits into this forum
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

dpuckridge wrote:I think this forum will be of interest and great use to budding authors.
I have ideas for writing our family history and am not sure where to start.
Also i have started to write a travel article, but not sure who to send it to.
Trying to set myself up as a freelance writer of articles.
I hope this fits into this forum
If you decide to write a guest article, please contact me by PM for approval of the topic and an explanation of the guidelines. Please note that the article must be submitted for approval. If approved, I will then post the article under your name.
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I am not an author. However this sounds like you have come up with a great way for the reviewers to really understand some of the authors whose work we will be reviewing.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Amh73090 wrote:I am not an author. However this sounds like you have come up with a great way for the reviewers to really understand some of the authors whose work we will be reviewing.
Thanks. It's a nice way for the author's to showcase their writing. If members enjoy an author's Guest Post, they might be interesting in reading their books. It's also a great way for readers to get a peek into an author's writing process and inspirations, in addition to other writers getting advice.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

What a great idea for writer exposure! I am a freelance writer and would like to take a stab at one of the articles! I will PM, thanks!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

karolinka wrote:What a great idea for writer exposure! I am a freelance writer and would like to take a stab at one of the articles! I will PM, thanks!
I received your PM and responded.
ms62
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms62.html

Post by ms62 »

5 Tips to beginners in Writing:

I must say that I am a beginner too in writng and from my personal experiences, I can say to all budding aspirants to
1. Be Observers. Life goes on around us. We are surrounded by Stories in the form of People, Situations, Catastrophes, Fun, News etc etc. So whatever be the topic or the field you wish to write in, It is around you.

2. You must be a thinker too. In order to write a great story, you must be a thinker and should analyse the situation of your story. you must go into all the angles of the story and write perspectively.

3. The Language plays a major role in writing. So we must start by simple and easy to read accounts.

4. Patience: A writer must be patient enough to be able to weave a story around a particular situation or a person or an account from his own life. In order to recount the full episoe the writer must visualize it to the full extent and can deviate a little to add annonimity to the situation or story.

5. You should be able to sit for long hours. Yo can write on a paper, use Pen, Type writer, Computer, or even give Dictation to a secretary or record your own voice and get it tanscribed.

I think, I have said enough and these have been my strength or weaknesses in my writings. I hope the Beginners are benefitted by these Tips. Best of Luck and Wishes.

-- 04 Jan 2017, 14:07 --
ms62 wrote:5 Tips to beginners in Writing:

I must say that I am a beginner too in writng and from my personal experiences, I can say to all budding aspirants to
1. Be Observers. Life goes on around us. We are surrounded by Stories in the form of People, Situations, Catastrophes, Fun, News etc etc. So whatever be the topic or the field you wish to write in, It is around you.

2. You must be a thinker too. In order to write a great story, you must be a thinker and should analyse the situation of your story. you must go into all the angles of the story and write perspectively.

3. The Language plays a major role in writing. So we must start by simple and easy to read accounts.

4. Patience: A writer must be patient enough to be able to weave a story around a particular situation or a person or an account from his own life. In order to recount the full episoe the writer must visualize it to the full extent and can deviate a little to add annonimity to the situation or story.

5. You should be able to sit for long hours. Yo can write on a paper, use Pen, Type writer, Computer, or even give Dictation to a secretary or record your own voice and get it tanscribed.

I think, I have said enough and these have been my strength or weaknesses in my writings. I hope the Beginners are benefitted by these Tips. Best of Luck and Wishes.
Keldras
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Keldras »

If people are truly interested in writing I would suggest reading books about writing. I'd say start out with On Writing by Steven King and then I'd look at Brandon Sanderson's 318 class they're free on Youtube and they are a great reference for those writing fiction.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Keldras wrote:If people are truly interested in writing I would suggest reading books about writing. I'd say start out with On Writing by Steven King and then I'd look at Brandon Sanderson's 318 class they're free on Youtube and they are a great reference for those writing fiction.
Good advice! You might want to consider posting this info in the Writing Discussion forum.
ollesternberg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ollesternberg »

bookowlie wrote:Welcome! I am hosting a new feature called Author Articles and Guest Posts. Authors will be selected to write a guest post about a topic of their choosing. If you are interested, please submit your name and specific topic to me by PM. Once an author is selected, the guest article should be sent to me for general approval and posting.

Important Note: The article must be original and not previously posted or published somewhere else. Also, it will be exclusive to this site and cannot be published or posted anywhere afterward. If you would like a guaranteed spot, please contact Scott for details.

Here are a few ideas for inspiration, but you can certainly come up with your topic:

5 Tips for Becoming a Better Writer
5 Things You Love About Your Latest Book
What You Love About Self-Publishing
2 Writers Who Have Inspired You
Marketing Ideas that Worked for You
Mistakes Writers Make When Querying Publishers
Inspiration for Your Book
10 Things I Wish I Knew About Being an Indie Author
How to Promote Your Book Online
Practical Advice for Beginning Writers
5 Mistakes Indie Authors Should Avoid
Resources that Have Improved Your Writing
What Three Book Characters Would You Like to Have Dinner With?
Is Choosing a Setting Important?
A Peek into Your Life (favorite TV shows, films, book genres, vacation spots, etc.)
How to Avoid Procrastinating
Do Book Giveaways Spur Sales?

-- 14 Oct 2015, 18:39 --

I just wanted to add that any aspiring writers can also participate in this new feature. I figure aspiring writers are authors that haven't been published yet. :)

Cool..thanks! :D
tasukilee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tasukilee »

good advice, thank you very much

Return to “Author Articles”