Twilight Vs. Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KatnissHawthorne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KatnissHawthorne »

Ok then, I'm afraid I'm about to burst all your bubbles. Oh, and spoiler alert to Breaking Dawn by the way.

I am the person that goes around saying that Twilight is for brain-dead morons and that Harry Potter is amazing and deserves to worshipped. I get that people prefer either one, and I do respect that, I just really hate the idea and premise of Twilight. Bellas shows practically slavish devotion to Edward, and I just hate the idea. I hate the way Jacob is so obsessed, and the whole Renesmee thing.... Man, just kill me now!

Harry Potter, on the other hand, I think is awesome because there is such an intresting plot that is so intricately woven around and into each other so that all the sub-plots connect with the main one and I just think it's genius.
Klcao12

Post by Klcao12 »

I've read both series and i think they're both equally fantastic (:
Zekes

Post by Zekes »

Probably, but in my opinion Twilight is not as good as Harry Potter. Obviously, its story is a lot way better compare to Twilight.
Rockinroller

Post by Rockinroller »

KatnissHawthorne wrote:Ok then, I'm afraid I'm about to burst all your bubbles. Oh, and spoiler alert to Breaking Dawn by the way.

I am the person that goes around saying that Twilight is for brain-dead morons and that Harry Potter is amazing and deserves to worshipped. I get that people prefer either one, and I do respect that, I just really hate the idea and premise of Twilight. Bellas shows practically slavish devotion to Edward, and I just hate the idea. I hate the way Jacob is so obsessed, and the whole Renesmee thing.... Man, just kill me now!

Harry Potter, on the other hand, I think is awesome because there is such an intresting plot that is so intricately woven around and into each other so that all the sub-plots connect with the main one and I just think it's genius.
Exactly. Harry Potter broke new ground; the imagination of Rowling gave us new concepts of magic and ideas at the same time that it was fantastic and entertaining, well-written and interesting.

Twilight, on the other hand, is just another triangle-drama-love story that can be seen all over the place. The story is far from original. And the idea that an undead vampire can procreate? I'm not impressed. All of it is just embarrassing (at least to us Stoker-readers...). The vampires are original only in one sense; all the traits that "make" them vampiric has been taken away from them. Also much of the plot can be found very close to being the same as Twilights in previously published books within the same genre.

I will not take away an authors artistic liscense to alter what they write about, or put down those who are sold on Twilight (because I can see the point even if it does not speak to me personally).
readingaddict

Post by readingaddict »

Rockinroller, you mirror my own thoughts!

Harry Potter was a great concept. We have had books on witches and wizards before but combined with the strong and diverse characters and the detail and depth of the story line and the role of magic it was something that easily stood out on its own.
Twilight on the other hand... I read somewhere that Stephanie Meyer had an idea for a love triangle story but suddenly had the idea to make Edward into a vampire to make it all the more interesting. Whether this is true or not, I feel when I read it as if this is exactly what she did. The characters are one-dimensional and don't get me started on how much Bella annoyed me! Was anyone else waiting for Edward to get fed up and just leave her (or eat her)?

I'm sorry. Despite everything I've ranted on about I don't think you can really compare the books. They just appeal to (almost) the same demographic. It would be like comparing Twilight to Artemis Fowl or Harry Potter to His Dark Materials. They appeal to different readers.

Just a tad hypocritical?
Rockinroller

Post by Rockinroller »

readingaddict wrote:Rockinroller, you mirror my own thoughts!

Harry Potter was a great concept. We have had books on witches and wizards before but combined with the strong and diverse characters and the detail and depth of the story line and the role of magic it was something that easily stood out on its own.
Twilight on the other hand... I read somewhere that Stephanie Meyer had an idea for a love triangle story but suddenly had the idea to make Edward into a vampire to make it all the more interesting. Whether this is true or not, I feel when I read it as if this is exactly what she did. The characters are one-dimensional and don't get me started on how much Bella annoyed me! Was anyone else waiting for Edward to get fed up and just leave her (or eat her)?

I'm sorry. Despite everything I've ranted on about I don't think you can really compare the books. They just appeal to (almost) the same demographic. It would be like comparing Twilight to Artemis Fowl or Harry Potter to His Dark Materials. They appeal to different readers.

Just a tad hypocritical?
Rant on! :D
I would not necessarily compare the two either, except for the fact that they are considered more or less within the same genre and appeal to so many young readers as well as adults.

And the topic Bella... The kind of girl that gives the rest of us a bad rep, haha...
BambiA93

Post by BambiA93 »

Hazelrah wrote:I have never read the Twilight series, so I can't comment on the quality of Stephanie Meyer's writing. But I have seen the first 2 movies and nearly gouged my eyes out.

Bella is one of the worst role-models for girls I have ever seen. The only thing worse than being stuck as an immortal bloodsucker for all eternity is to have to put up with someone as clingy and needy as her.

I think the Harry Potter books are a lot of fun -- except for the last book, in which the brilliant idea of "Grammar school for wizards" falls by the wayside. The movie was good though.

-Shane
Role model or not, girls act like Bella. I like it when authors write about how peole can really behave, not just how we want them to behave. I'm sure plenty teens, and really women of all ages, connected with the character.
Seraphy

Post by Seraphy »

I think Harry Potter is unique, well twilight is just one of the vampire stories.
Iheartu18

Post by Iheartu18 »

Although Twilight is a great series, it doesn't even compare to what J.K. Rowling has done with Harry Potter. I think that Twilight is really only embraced by teens, but Harry Potter is loved by all ages.

Harry Potter also has a deeper plot and has tons of symbolism, whereas to me, Twilight is lacking.

But again, love them both :)
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

As a matter of fact, I dislike both. (Actually Twilight more)
:D Enjoy your day~
Zyy12345

Post by Zyy12345 »

:D This article is good for me!!!
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

What do you mean?
Zyy12345 wrote::D This article is good for me!!!
:D Enjoy your day~
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

I think he is just one of those online weirdos that post things that make absolutely no sense/never use puctuation/repeats things other users have said for no apparent reason. Just ignore him.
Lola82

Post by Lola82 »

I love HP for the detail and the depth of the story, especially when one considers that it's suppose to be a children's series. Despite being that, it is accessible for them and yet, intricate enough for adults to enjoy on a more intellectual level. It reaches a wide range of audiences from all over the world.

I read Twilight and as I made my way through the series I found I skimmed more than read because it was so boring and predictable; everything was so neatly wrapped up in a pretty little box. No one important to the characters got hurt; at the end of the day, it was almost all hugs and happy resolution. There was so much build up and tension to all the fights that by the time it came to it, it was such a disappointing let down and completely anti climatic. It was just a happy love story where everything works out and they all live happily ever after. At least in HP there were deaths and Rowling stayed true to the characters.
Aguswgs

Post by Aguswgs »

I like these book

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”