Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
hannah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hannah »

haha I think I could deal with it. as long as we still had other things in common. my boyfriend likes to read though, so I don't have to worry about that.
Gangrene

Post by Gangrene »

You know, it depends on person. I live in Belarus and I could say that reading is not so popular among my coevals. Gurls prefer silly magazines, guys don't like to read at all. My boyfriend didn't use to read a lot but now under my influence he started :) He's not a dull, he is terribly clever, I don't know what way. I think he read not books but some technical articles or so. He watch Discovery... Reading is surely useful but it's up to every single person to like or dislike it...This is it :roll:
oceans_running

Post by oceans_running »

I think I would, if he made me laugh. After all, he can go do boy things while I read.
R.
Kari

Post by Kari »

At the moment, I think I'd be happy to date anyone :lol:

No seriously I think I could ... as long as they weren't someone who never read a book in their entire life. Reading is something that I choose to do in private and I tend not to discuss it or involve others. That's my choice, and I have other hobbies. For me not to date someone who doesn't like reading would be like someone not dating me because I don't like carpentry.
asiandivergal

Post by asiandivergal »

Dating a non-reader: YES - my previous boyfriends were non-readers, and we had other things in common, like sports or outdoors and...chemistry *ahem*, so that was OK. However, they were never a part of my reading life, which is a bit part of my life actually. But dating and going out with them is fine - as there is a line drawn in the degree of intimacy.

Having a non-reader as a soulmate and life-partner: NO. I hate double standards, but I am guilty of that here :) My soulmate and life-partner is someone who shares every aspect of my life, and if he's not a reader, he will never totally understand me. I'm glad to say that my current partner, reads and thinks more indepth than me, and it's always awe-inspiring when getting into a book discussion with him (it always veers into lots of thought-provoking areas which I would never have been capable of doing so on my own).
babypinkcandygirl

Post by babypinkcandygirl »

if i only dated guys who read id probably be single forever (there are no men who read here!)

however i could never date a guy who interrupted me while i was reading, that really winds me up and it is so disrespectful!
what's your top ten...?
kim32

Post by kim32 »

I've done it, but it wasn't easy. I would hear complaints like "why are you wasting your time with that book" and "I can't believe you can just sit there like that with it so quiet in here". It was a pain in the rear.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I think there is a difference between those who don't read, and those who ridicule reading. I could NEVER be with someone who didn't understand/accept my need to read, or who put reading down. But I don't feel there is a pre-requisite for any partner of mine to read themselves. It's a delicious bonus if they do though!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Violetd19

Post by Violetd19 »

I would prefer someone who read. If there reason for not reading is a good one, that would be fine with me. However, I love an intelligent person. I want to be able to talk about everything. My last boyfriend was a philosophy/literature major. That was the best part about him.
leslie.aponte

Post by leslie.aponte »

I love reading, always, and he doesn't. He says it's a waist of time (for himself, because he loves it that I read), and that I shouldn't even try to convince him to open a book (trust me, I've tryed). It doesn't make me that much smarter, or him any dumber. Even though he doesn't read he likes to listen to me tell him the stories of the books I do read. That way he can discuss the book with me. It's really entertaining. He, somehow retains so much information without opening a single book, I really doubt he has ever read a book, i mean, finished a book in his life, but he does know the main idea of many books and stories.

My point is: Not to discriminate. I have a boyfriend who absolutely loathes reading, but he happens to be one, if not the most intelligent person I know. He does annoy me sometimes, but where the hell will you ever find a boy who doesn't.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I agree leslie, just because someone doesn't read doesn't mean they're not intelligent. Some of the most intelligent people I know are non-readers. Just like some of the STUPIDEST people I know are not only avid readers, but they're militant librarians!!

Dori

Post by Dori »

sleepydumpling wrote:I agree leslie, just because someone doesn't read doesn't mean they're not intelligent. Some of the most intelligent people I know are non-readers. Just like some of the STUPIDEST people I know are not only avid readers, but they're militant librarians!!
Stupidest? It's ironic how you use that word to describe a stupid person.

Personally, I find myself more attracted to readers than non-readers.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
awelker

Post by awelker »

i think that guys that read are hott but at this point in my life i am willing to date anyone that is interested. sad i kno.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Dori, you have a very high opinion of yourself, don't you? It was a JOKE.

Karen

Post by Karen »

I always preferred to date men who read. Due to my vision problems it took me a long time to get into reading. I have two lazy eyes that don't always work together: most of the time I only use one eye. When I'm reading (it doesn't matter the size of the book), once I've read to the center of the line (where my nose is), I switch to my right eye. When I start on the next line, I start with my left eye. This had been exhuasting my eyes very quickly for a very long time, and caused me to lose my place very easily. Then I started reading with a bookmark, and that solved my troubles, except that I'm still an extremely slow reader. Thus when I was young, I knew that it was important to read, but it was extremely tiring. My parents and teachers, kept telling me to keep my fingers out of the book, which really didn't help me. Reading was also frustrating, so I didn't do much of it. I didn't do well in school either!!

Most people I know, want to talk about what they watched on T.V. If they read, they read the most popular best sellers. My husband reads Sci Fi., and my particular reading interests, are not widely common. That with being a very slow reader, I don't do well in conversation.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”