Strict Anti-Spam Rules (for authors and publishers)

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

CharlesCJett
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Strict Anti-Spam Rules: Important for authors and publis

Post by CharlesCJett »

How do we make an announcement of a new book? Looks like that is not allowable. Am I correct? ~ CCJ
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

CharlesCJett wrote:How do we make an announcement of a new book? Looks like that is not allowable. Am I correct? ~ CCJ
No, it isn't, but you could submit your book to the private review team :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
DOOGLE1932
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DOOGLE1932 »

I am a new member and have read the anti-spam rules as requested. They are a bit scary. I hope I shall not get black-listed by accident.
1Vandana_Thakur

Post by 1Vandana_Thakur »

Original post is very old and it seems amendments have been made time to time. Can you post a comprehensive copy which is up to date so that newcomers (like me) can know current status while spending less time.
onediadem
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by onediadem »

I am grateful for a team that is on top of this. I know how frustrating it is. I have been an Admin on a forum myself. Great site!
Barry_Alexander

Post by Barry_Alexander »

So does this mean that I cannot post a heartfelt thank you to complimentary posts about my book?
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Thank you for this! I am a new member and I am so happy to be involved in a site where I can feel safe and comfortable without having to sift through a lot of self promoting. We all want our books to do well, but there is a way to do it and you are making sure it is done right! It is much appreciated!!! :)
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

After talking it over with moderators, I have decided to remove the last sentence in 1.a in the Strict Anti-Spam Rules and replace with a slightly different rule which will now be 1.d.

OLD DELETED RULE (from 1.a): If your book is reviewed, you can make a reply in the topic briefly thanking the reviewer for the review, but that is strictly it. Public debate/commentary on the review from the author is not allowed.

NEW (1.d): If your book is reviewed, you may not post a reply on the review forum topic at all. This policy not only avoids unpleasant conflicts but also helps authors avoid inadvertently harming their own reputations. We believe it is generally culturally considered inappropriate for an author or publisher to post comments on a review of his or her own book--not only here by our members but also generally throughout the entire broader reading community. In other words, we believe if other readers see you committing the social faux pas of commenting on reviews of your own book, those readers will be less inclined to want to read your books. If you want to thank the reviewer for the review, do so by sharing the link to the review with other people and your fans; that's the biggest thank you a reviewer can get.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
LynnSanders
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by LynnSanders »

Hi! I'm a brand new member, and glad to know of your anti-spam rules and regulations. Having clearly stated parameters is great -- no matter what profession one does in life. I'm just glad I found out where to post a topic. It feels like we all have to become technical experts in today's world to move forward. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
josefina1110
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 38
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Voice of Creation

Post by josefina1110 »

I know how I would feel if my post slide as spam. I'm hesitant to make a post and I still want to learn to post a topic that will abide by the rules and regulations as stipulated. It seems easy but only when you become an expert in this technical world of words. Thank you for the reminder.
wandavoy
Currently Reading: Athenticity:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by wandavoy »

While these rules seem a bit restrictive, I understand the need for them. I hope I don't accidentally break one of them. :shock: :D
josefina1110
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 38
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Voice of Creation

Post by josefina1110 »

I think it is really wise to have moderators to determine if our post is destined to be a spam. That way we still can write something we think is right to post especially because I am not sure of my words half the time. But certainly, being aware of the spam rules makes me think twice of anything I write. As I continue to think and write, maybe it will be just automatic that my words will never be spammed. You know "practice makes perfect."
jcppublisher
Favorite Book: Hiding Ezra
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by jcppublisher »

Oh well.. got it!!
AstroCreep
Currently Reading: to protect and serve
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by AstroCreep »

I think I've met the requirements to post my profile, but it still won't let me. Help?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

AstroCreep wrote:I think I've met the requirements to post my profile, but it still won't let me. Help?
You're still a newly registered user :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”