Official Review: The Shark in the Park by Mark Watson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: The Shark in the Park by Mark Watson

Post by anonanemone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Shark in the Park is a children's book with a unique and thrilling blend of the imagination and the realistic authored by Mark Watson and illustrated by Pablo Michau.

The sole character in this book is a grade school student named Michael. One day Michael is on his way to the bus stop for another day at school. As he is passing through the park to meet the bus, he spies a shark that is swimming through the ground! He barely avoids being eaten by the shark alongside his bookbag and the story carries on from there.

Despite the theme and the Jaws like great white shark, I did not find the book to be too scary for young children. The entire story is also written in short, but entertaining, rhyming verses. The narrative flows well but there are a few advanced words scattered through the book. I viewed these instances as teaching opportunities for my little audience. I also appreciated that the professional quality of the illustrations in this book. The dynamic graphics are perfectly in tune with the story. Michael and the shark seem to be in constant motion.

The first half of the test audience, my five year old son, loves The Shark in the Park and was thrilled by the every bit of the story. When asked what he likes about the book he has two answers. He loves that it has a shark that swims underground and he loves the ending. He always gets a huge kick out of the quirky conclusion of the story and loves to laugh about it. Go figure, a five year old boy who loves sharks. We also enjoyed discussing the content of some of the illustrations. In the interest of full disclosure, the other half of the test audience was not as interested in this book; but to be fair, three year old girls don't seem to be the target market here.

This book has themes of facing and conquering your fear. I like the fact that while at first Mark is terrified of the shark, he starts to find ways to confront it. This theme is emphasized by the lack of other characters within the book indicating that Michael must defeat his own fears.

The Shark in the Park by Mark Watson and Pablo Michau is a fun read for kids of preschool and elementary school age. Therefore, I give this children’s book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book for children, especially boys, who are between the ages of 4 and 10 and enjoy a bit of excitement in their stories.

The Shark in the Park
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anonanemone's review? Post a comment saying so!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very enjoyable book for youngsters. It also sounds very helpful for children who are trying to conquer their fears in addition to being entertaining. Congratulations to Mark Watson on such a well-written book.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Very well-written review, anonanemone! It sounds like a great story for kids. I think it's sweet that you had your son read it and shared his thoughts here. :)
Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review! :tiphat:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The book sounds like an enjoyable read that kids will want to read again and again. I love that you have your own in-home "tester." :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

This sounds like a great children's story. I like that it helps children learn how to conquer their fears. It seems like it is very well-illustrated also. I think this would be a good story to share with young children. Very nice and informative review!
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! I really enjoy romance novel, and after reading the sample, this one seems to be right up my alley! Also, I find that the mix of genres to be intriguing, and I can see how it would add more to the story.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
marknpablosocial
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marknpablosocial »

Thanks for the great review :)
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Great review! I love buying books for my niece and nephew and my friends' children. This book sounds great for all of them!

Return to “Children's Books”