Sookie Stackhouse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mylene
Bookshelf Size: 0

Sookie Stackhouse

Post by mylene »

Hello... i just want to know if Sookie Stackhouse is ok and not a waste of time.. Thanks
chicklit

Post by chicklit »

I haven't read the book series yet, but I have watched the HBO series True Blood, which is awesome. I do have a friend that highly recommended the book series. She says its really good. I'm hooked on the TV series, so I'm not sure if I'm ready to read the book (as I don't want to run across any spoilers).
vamp666

Post by vamp666 »

I have read the Sookie Stackhouse series and loved it!!!!!!!! And please do NOT compare the series to the T.V. show for it is almost nothing like it. I watched the show and will be TIVOing (is that even a word?) the next series on June 14, but the book series was so different and so much better! Like it always is. So yes I definatly reccomend it! :D
sarascareermail

Post by sarascareermail »

The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris is definitly not a waste of time. I have read all of the books in the series and they are way better then the tv series! The series gets better in each new book. I would suggest reading the entire series. Also, don't just go off of the first books especially if you have watched the tv series. Most times, when you read a book after seeing a movie or tv show based on it, it seems like the book doesn't follow, when really the book has been changed in order for it to fit the movie or tv series.

By the way, you can buy the first four books in a package. You can save alot of money by doing it this way.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

Woot woot! For all you sookie slaves (Or Eric Slave imo):
The eleventh installment, Dead Reckoning, has been given the release (of course) of May 3rd 2011. You can now preorder it! AH! I'm all excited and stuff! She's killing me making me wait for all of the books! Anyone else?
Please let there be more Trubies out there! :(
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Melaniep

Post by Melaniep »

laci_baby wrote:Woot woot! For all you sookie slaves (Or Eric Slave imo):
The eleventh installment, Dead Reckoning, has been given the release (of course) of May 3rd 2011. You can now preorder it! AH! I'm all excited and stuff! She's killing me making me wait for all of the books! Anyone else?
Please let there be more Trubies out there! :(
I have to wait until MAY?!? Ugh!

My fiance and I both have read all of the books in the series. They're all pretty quick reads- mostly because you can't wait to see what happens next! Getting into Sookie's head makes me laugh out loud at times. There is SO much more going on in Bon Temps than the TV series has shown thus far. I love the books and the series, but separately. If you read the books, you still will have no idea what's going to happen in the show and vice versa!
laci_baby

Post by laci_baby »

I absolutely agree! I love the show and the books as well but as you said, seperately. Nothing in the show is sticking to the books and honestly i think i like it better that way... you dont know whats going to happen! Yet they stay close enough to the book that it doesnt anger anyone (That i've know anyway) I love it! I know! May! It's so long away! I can read all 10 books in a week to two weeks and be crying for more... i hate it! It's so tempting to just start over... haha. She needs to start shooting them out faster... ugh. I dont know what i'll do when she stops writing Sookie Stackhouse books. Let's hope that doesnt happen anytime soon....
:shock:
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Pob75

Post by Pob75 »

hello, i am new to this site and glad i found it, i LOVE TRUE BLOOD and bought books 1-10 as a set BUT i am only on book 1 and struggling as although you say it doesn't run with the show so far the first book seems to be doing exactly that.
should i perservere? i have all these lovely books waiting to be read but i just can't get motivated

thank you
laci_baby

Post by laci_baby »

The books are almost nothing like the show after a while but in a good way. They're both amazing, dont get me wrong, but a lot of it isn't the same. The books are incredible... please do read them. They're well worth the read. Plus it's a normally a giggly easy read. Sookie cracks me up in the books. If you dont love them i would be surprised that someone actually got out alive. If you dont like them then that's still okay. But please let us know what you thought! :D
Annaintheworks

Post by Annaintheworks »

laci_baby wrote: She needs to start shooting them out faster... ugh. I dont know what i'll do when she stops writing Sookie Stackhouse books. Let's hope that doesnt happen anytime soon....
:shock:
Have you had a go at the Shakespeare series, also by Ch. Harris?
It doesn't have any supernatural characters in it, but is written very much in the same style:
You can find more details on Charlaine Harris' website. Just google her!

I started the first one (Shakespeare's Landlord) recently because I'd run out of Sookie novels.
Just a thought.
And there are some short stories, of course.

I think the reason she doesn't churn them out faster is, that she is quite prolific and writing other series at the same time.
Enjoy!
Pob75

Post by Pob75 »

thank you, i will perservere and let you know how i get on
laci_baby

Post by laci_baby »

Annaintheworks- Thank you! I've been meaning to check into her other works but i never really hear anything about her other books. What i have heard has been rather dissapointing. I just assumed that to keep Ms. Harris on my high pedestal i should stop while i was ahead. I suppose that's why your not suppose to assume, yeah? I will check them out now that someone has actually said something about other books. hehee... I like you already. :D

Pob75- Good going, hope you enjoy the sookie madness.
And Eric. (Yum.)
Annaintheworks

Post by Annaintheworks »

Let me know what you think! I'm only about half way through the first one - I listen to it on audiobook - but I don't know anyone else who's read them so would be interested to hear :)
Pob75

Post by Pob75 »

i'm getting a bit more into them now, i've downloaded one onto my iphone so can read it on the go.

i think Eric is VERY yum
Melaniep

Post by Melaniep »

Pob75 wrote:i'm getting a bit more into them now, i've downloaded one onto my iphone so can read it on the go.

i think Eric is VERY yum
I can never decide if I prefer Eric or Quinn... Sorry if I'm jumping ahead of you- I don't remember how far into the series Quinn shows up.

I don't think there are any potential lovers of Sookie's that I dislike, though. The girl's got taste!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”