Do you sing in a choir?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
aybige
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you sing in a choir?

Post by aybige »

Are there any choralists? :)
I sing in my choir for 4 months and I sing in altos. Our repertoire contains mainly sacral songs in Latin but not only. We sing for example Vivaldi's 'Gloria'. The part 'Et In Terra Pax' is really beautiful.
I think that there's something mystical in singing in a harmony... It's really amazing to spend a time with people who love music too. I noticed that people who love music and perform it are more emphatic. Have you noticed it too? Do you sing in a choir or have you ever sung there?
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I did when I was younger. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
5unny5kye-gr1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-5unny5kye-gr1.html

Post by 5unny5kye-gr1 »

Back in my middle school days I did. I definitely miss it!
ZELee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelee.html

Post by ZELee »

I sang for choir in middle school, and was always told that I had a great voice, but I never pursued it.
LiteratureUtopia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literatureutopia.html

Post by LiteratureUtopia »

I did all through elementary and middle, but once I got to high school I never pursued it, it was very much for competition instead of something to do for fun.
MarissaJade17

Post by MarissaJade17 »

I love to sing, but haven't sang in a choir since it was required in middle school.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

At my church, we sometimes get vocalists together to sing for holidays or special occasions. When this happens, I enjoy lending my vocal talents. I really wish we had a regular choir, though.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I only recently quit all my choral activities. But I was in my church choirs (one "traditional" and one with a bit more rock and roll!) and performed throughout junior high, high school, and a few semesters in college! :)
Enna Eiram

Post by Enna Eiram »

Since I was 17, I have been singing in a choir. I have always been a Soprano but I sang once as an alto, too. It's a pretty challenging thing to be a part in a group of beautiful talents while trying to be in harmony with them. I compare a choir to a piano only that it is being played by a conductor. What is more is that the choir I am singing with right now has no conductor to assist us, our unity as one harmony is always tested on every performance. But to me, our every practice serves as a channel for us to grow together.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

I was brought up in a large Episcopal church and sang in the choir as a boy chorister, so I learned to read music when I was about 9-10 and was singing Bach, Haydn, Handel, Mozart and others -- the church was fairly high liturgy with a substantial music program.

I had a natural talent for singing, and as a boy soloist, sang at weddings, things like "O Perfect Love" and then, my "crowning moment" when I sang "Let the Bright Seraphim" by Handel.

As a teen and young guy, my voice progressed from tenor to baritone. When a boy has classical training, his voice changes slowly, unlike most boys, so at first I was a tenor for maybe 2 years then I was a baritone.

I continued to sing in chorales and Episcopal church choirs. I've sung Handel's "Messiah", Mozart's Requiem, Verdi Requiem, and other great classical liturgical works. I have also sung a full concert & orchestral version of Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana".

In my 50s I was urged to try out for a local small opera company. I was hired for the chorus, and because I enjoyed it so much, I began professional voice lessons, and became quite good. Eventually my voice settled into a bass-baritone with a range of high A to a low E flat.

This opera company produces full legit operas, with the original language, costumes, makeup, sets, props, a genuine production. So along with the liturgical music, I've sung in English, Latin, German, French, and Italian.

The pinnacle of my 4-year operatic career was when I was offered a few solo roles, most of them "comprimario" (small) parts but then I sang "Antonio", the gardener in Mozart's Marriage of Figaro (le Nozze di Figaro). Believe me, memorizing maybe 30 pages of Italian lyrics isn't easy, but it was the most hard-work fun I've ever had. And standing there, on stage in the act 4 finale, singing "Perdono, perdono" (pardon) and being only one of 11 singers -- no chorus -- was amazing.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I sang for choir when I was in middle school and high school. I was a soprano, but I liked singing alto.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Vinu, you were likely a mezzo-soprano, hmm?
Anjareis
Bookshelf Size: -1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjareis.html

Post by Anjareis »

Always a soprano...elementary, middle, and high school, a little in college, and lots of church choirs for regular services and religious holidays. I sang in a community choir once. We performed Puccini's
Messa di Gloria
. It was an unforgettable experience. I really miss singing. Thanks for asking this question. I was reminded of many pleasant memories.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Agreed. I think back fondly about my opera experience, all the hard work, all the fun, and the amazing thrill of singing the great classics -- performed in Carmen, Magic Flute, Marriage of Figaro, Don Giovanni, Faust, quite a few others.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Nope, but I do sometimes sing in the shower.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Poetry & Music”