4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
layla74
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by layla74 »

Pride and prejudice was a must-read in high school for me, but I've read part of your first one, ah :D
Orca

Post by Orca »

I have read Orwell and Bradbury, but not the other two books. Of Mice and Men is on my list of books that I would like to read though since I saw a play adaptation of it performed at a university and enjoyed the story.
dragonheart

Post by dragonheart »

I've read 1984 and Of Mice and Men and I loved both of them, but 1984 was by far my favorite. :D
Tomasaki

Post by Tomasaki »

I've only read Fahrenheit 451, and I agree that the image of the television is the most frightening. When I read it, I felt that the story-telling was vague and hard to picture, but I was pretty young. Like you said, I should definitely read it again. Everything else on this list is something I've been wanting to read for a long time, too. Now I only want to read them even more!
lukebodell

Post by lukebodell »

Nice, I've read 2 of these and thoroughly enjoyed them. I hope to read the other 2 in the near future.
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

Yes, indeed, great books. Unfortunately, I haven't read Of Mice and Men. I hope to do it soon.
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Matthew wrote:... In fact, I used to think tha EVERYONE who was literate had read it. You proved me wrong, but I'd still bet that there are thousands of people for whom Catcher in the Rye is the ONLY book they've ever read.
Ooops! A gap in my education there, then. I'll put it on my must-read-if-I-find-a-friend-to-lend-it list.
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
InfiniteMatt

Post by InfiniteMatt »

“The Catcher in the Rye” is one of those books for me that I was fortunate enough to read very early—and thusly, have reread many times since—and inspired an essential love of books (as clichéd as that sounds)

“Nineteen Eighty-Four” is, by all means, a wonderful novel, and not enough can be said in its favor.

“Of Mice and Men” is, actually, my favorite Steinbeck (and I do NOT like Steinbeck). The novel, for being so short, is absolutely ripe with theory and application that one cannot help drool over it.

"Fahrenheit 451" I like, but I think Bradbury’s masterpiece lies with “The Illustrated Man.”
Jp1978

Post by Jp1978 »

I feel illiterate, only one out of four. I enjoyed reading Of Mice and Men and some of Ray Bradbury's short stories. Catcher in the Rye I started, but disliked so much I didn't finish it.
Maujazulmos

Post by Maujazulmos »

This is known in the world. This series is all about the abuses of Spanish Colonies to the Philippines. These are the Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not) and El Filibusterismo written by our National Hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal. They are really great. It's full of suspense. The story is possibly the desire of the writer of what he will do to fight the Spaniards at that time.
Browsers

Post by Browsers »

I agree that "Illustrated Man" far outstrips Fahrenhein 451. 451 is science fiction in the old style: the IDEA is the hero & the writing suffers. In "Illustrated Man" you see Bradbury at his stylistic and creative height.

1984 is the same as 451: idea is good, writing okay

"Of Mice & Men" is good, but Steinbeck's masterpiece (for me) is "Grapes of Wrath."

I'm a little surprised these are all mid-20th century books. For the few decades involved, these are good, but this looks an awful lot like a high school curriculum from 1970. Dive into "Moby Dick", Dostoevsky, Borges, Shakespeare, etc etc
Ambercmeyer

Post by Ambercmeyer »

I'm surprised that you couldn't include any female writers in your list.
Lapssone

Post by Lapssone »

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Lapssone wrote:Enduring Love by Ian McEwan.
Didn't really like it ..... not one of his best IMO
Nigella

Post by Nigella »

I've only read "Of Mice and Men" and absolutely loved it. Thanks for this review though, the others sound just as interesting!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”