How did you feel about the end of the series?

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

How did you feel about the end of the series?

Post by cogarae »

The end of the series was not what I was expecting. I kind of wish they would've stayed in the factions and there was a different ending. I mean I didn't expect the factions to basically be being watched by outsiders. In a way it's kind of like hunger games.
Sam P
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sam P »

I thought that the author was going in a different way and then got off track and just needed an ending to the series. Overall I wasn't overly impressed but I thought it was a great series that I enjoyed reading.
Dyslexic-Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyslexic-superhero.html

Post by Dyslexic-Superhero »

I waited a long time to finish reading the last one and I was unimpressed with how it ended. I normally have a great love or hate for the main character but I really felt nothing for her dramatic ending.
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I didn't like the ending at all. I was actually really mad when I finished the series because it wasn't what I was expecting and I hate it when main characters die.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
Aml13

Post by Aml13 »

First and only book I have ever stopped reading. The end of this book was terrible to me. If a main character is going out they should go out with a bang or at least with some purpose. I actually just stopped reading and threw my book. Two things I have never done before. I didnt even bother with Four, and have absolutely no desire to.
WinterSugar3

Post by WinterSugar3 »

As a reader, I was not happy with the end of the book. Maybe it was because I wanted the heroine to "win" in the end, and find peace.
Jally116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jally116.html

Post by Jally116 »

I personally loved the ending of the series. I felt like it really fit with Tris' character that she would make such a sacrifice. In the end, her decision was based on selflessness and bravery, two of the defining characteristics of the two factions she loved: Abnegation and Dauntless. And as was repeated throughout the series, and this is very loosely quoted: There is bravery in making sacrifices for others selflessly.

All that being said, I bawled my eyes out at the ending.
MRogue
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrogue.html
Latest Review: "Billionaire Romance: A Hard Bargain (Book 1 of series)" by Jennifer King

Post by MRogue »

The end of the series was a definite surprise to me.
I hate how some series end by killing off the main character.
I didn't think that it was a fitting end to the character of Tris.
Latest Review: "Billionaire Romance: A Hard Bargain (Book 1 of series)" by Jennifer King
KimHG
Currently Reading: Confessions of a Little Black Gown
Bookshelf Size: 707
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimhg.html

Post by KimHG »

I kind of knew where it was going while reading it but I still didn't expect Tris to die like that. Personally, I thought her death was so pointless, after everything I was hoping she would get a great finale. So the fangirl in me believes Caleb was the one who died there.
Sloray689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sloray689.html

Post by Sloray689 »

Devastated. I sobbed my way through the end of the book. I was so mad she killed Tris off. I felt like it was just for the shock factor, there was really no reason she needed to die. I felt almost cheated by it.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I was really stunned. Usually books have this 'happily-ever-after' ending where the characters somehow manage to solve all their problems, and this is one of the first books that I've read that just ended like.. that. Perhaps it's because I haven't read 'enough' books yet.
But really, it was a shock for Tris to die just like that. I wouldn't exactly say that I'm unsatisfied with the ending, just that I didn't like how she just made Tris die. I guess it did make sense for Tris to give up her life and make a sacrifice, given her character in the book.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I was, like many, spoiled for the ending of Allegiant! On the day it came out, no less! So I put off reading it for a year but by the time I did read it, the entire book felt very flat to me. Tris and Tobias seemed like the same person and there were little to no differences in their narrative and the ending fell flat for me. *shrugs*
My weekend is all booked!
lmossor
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmossor.html

Post by lmossor »

I was so upset at the ending. I really wanted something different
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

The end of the series was a real surprise to me. Initially I was kind of upset because I was expecting something a little brighter but in the long run I think Veronica Roth did a great job showcasing this new dystopic world and getting all of us into Tris and Four's story.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

The ending suprised me. I had expected a happy ending. The ending did get me emotional but nonetheless, i completely loved this series. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”