Opinions on the Divergent movies

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Opinions on the Divergent movies

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I would like to know if you read the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and watched the movies that have come out and what you thought of the movies? Did the movies do justice to the book? Also did you read the books before or after you watched the movies?
Toria_Hudson
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Toria_Hudson »

I just watched the first Divergent movie last week. I fall asleep on a lot of movies because they just don't catch my attention if it's not a comedy movie or a love story. This movie kept my attention the whole entire time! I loved it from start to finish. I will be watching the second one this week and can't wait for the third one to come out. I didn't know there was a book series but I would love to read the books as well because I enjoy comparing and contrasting the books portrayal of things and the movies portrayal of the story.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Toria_Hudson wrote:I just watched the first Divergent movie last week. I fall asleep on a lot of movies because they just don't catch my attention if it's not a comedy movie or a love story. This movie kept my attention the whole entire time! I loved it from start to finish. I will be watching the second one this week and can't wait for the third one to come out. I didn't know there was a book series but I would love to read the books as well because I enjoy comparing and contrasting the books portrayal of things and the movies portrayal of the story.
I agree! I felt the same way about the first movie, I was pleasantly surprised that I never got bored watching it. I had read about the books before I watched the movie and to be honest the books didn't catch my attention so I just decided to watch the movie first... After watching the movie I decided to read the books and they were good too. :)
scottkennedy12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scottkennedy12.html

Post by scottkennedy12 »

Amazing!! I loved them! They were very eye catching.
Cdugan
Currently Reading: The 4-Hour Workweek
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdugan.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Cdugan »

I read all the books before watching the movies and I can say the books of course are so much better. The books fill in where the movies leave out and sometimes it is confusing. However comparing the Divergent series to another book movie combo I will have to say it is one of the better ones and the movies were careful to not leave out major events or confuse the audience.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I read all the books two years ago, and watched the first movie about an year ago. I loved the books, especially the first, and I found the movie interesting. I never felt like watching Insurgent, the trailer was off putting.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

I have just finished allegiant last month because I heard the movie comes out next month. I really enjoyed the series and theories, however I always enjoy the books more.
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I thought the books were better. The first movie was decent, but the second one just didn't do it for me.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
Dyslexic-Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyslexic-superhero.html

Post by Dyslexic-Superhero »

The books were so much better. I got so excited when the first one came out but it didn't do the series justice. I left the theater like ok don't really want to watch the second and the third movies.
jleach1973
Currently Reading: A Dirty Shame
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jleach1973.html

Post by jleach1973 »

Typically, I usually prefer books over movies - but I must say in this series I loved the first 2 movies more than the books. For some reason that I haven't quite pinpointed yet, I just liked Tris's character more in the movies. I have not seen the third movie yet so I don't know if this trend will continue. I will just have to wait and see.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I watched the divergent movie first as didn't realize it was a book series. The books are much better as usual, especially concerning the character Tris, but I still liked the movies all the same and waiting to watch allegiant
stephlissa
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephlissa.html

Post by stephlissa »

Divergent is actually one of the series that I read after seeing the first movie in theatres. I thought the first movie was exciting (Four was pretty exciting on his own, hehe), believable and interesting. I left the movie theater wanting to know more so I picked up the series and flew through all three books in a weekend.

BUT the second movie was really dull (I don't know if it's because I read the book before seeing this movie), and I pretty much lost interest in seeing the third movie.

The books are all I need anyway! :tiphat:
yayramabel
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Storm
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yayramabel.html
Latest Review: "The Sound of Acquiescence" by Candace Michelle

Post by yayramabel »

I read the Divergent books before watching the movies.
I really liked the first book, and the movie was okay. The other two books were just okay, for me. Haven't watched the movies, so I can't really comment on those.
Latest Review: "The Sound of Acquiescence" by Candace Michelle
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I first read the books, even though I didn't like them very much and skimmed through the pages. After watching the movie trailer, I was afraid it was going to end up badly like Twilight or City of bones so I picked up the books again and read it for the second time, carefully. I actually liked it. The movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, definitely better than most adaptations.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I loved the movie as it kept my consideration the entire whole time! I cherished it through and through. I have also read the book and it is amazing.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”